• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter Blues

I get my thrills hanging on to my snowblower...............Still got handle bars and a throttle so that's pretty close.

Funny thing though, I got a Fitbit and on average, I chase my snowblower for 16 kms per snow fall!! We are averaging three snowfalls greater than 6" per week right now and at the rate my Fitbit says I'm going, I'm gonna do more miles on it than on my bike!!

Don't count on it. If it as stupid as mine, your fitbit will count steps just holding on to the vibrating handle. Same on the bike; the 12 mile ride to work on the Beemer gets me 3000 steps.

Interesting, my K is likely smoother at the grips, so my Surge does not record so many steps, but on a 45 mile ride through the twisties up and over passes, I sure do get a LOT of stairs recorded!!!
I like using my run tracker for some rides as it does a pretty good job of tracking the route and then mapping it. I used to use that function in the Maas Aero II on the river until I had to rescue my wife and her scull from a snag and ended up taking my iPhone for a swim in salty water....meltdown...LifeProof wasn't...waterproof pocket wasn't...:banghead
But on the winter blues....we are getting so much rain and high winds this winter that it is crazy to even think of riding. Downed trees, slipouts, mud and debris covered roads, not to mention drivers that can't....all make it just not worth heading out. Maybe if we get some real sun for a day or two I might chance it. Today, SR-128 is closed due to flooding, again, from the coast to about 5 miles inland. Over 32 inches of rain since October. Time to go check on our house construction in Mexico!

Treatments went great! Surgeries this coming Tuesday, followed by one a week later, then (hopefully) the final one in about a month.

Winter is nearly over! 😎

Cheers!

A positive and upbeat attitude tempered with humor is always the best medicine.

However, blind optimism splashed with insanity is the best way to convince yourself winter is almost over.

A positive and upbeat attitude tempered with humor is always the best medicine.

However, blind optimism splashed with insanity is the best way to convince yourself winter is almost over.

Insanity never bothered me much! :dance

And it got over 50 today! I think that's 10 in your lingo...but 50 sounds more spring like.:)

Absolutely beautiful today! Roads were dry. And the temp was up high enough to almost turn off the heated gear.

Chris

I put the first 10 miles on my bike today. 40ish Southern NH - its been a while since they put any sand/salt down so I just needed to watch the corners.

It does look like I'll be looking for a taller windshild.

The bike is tucked back in the corner of the garage as this week it seems like winter (cold) weather is coming back.

Long Way Round

You can't miss this one. And they ride BMW's because KTM didn't have the balls to provide bikes!!

I would like to point out a winter blues scenario that does involve Trump.

I have been feeling somewhat less than the brotherly love I have expected would happen on this forum with my witty and engaging presence. Just not feeling it when folks point out that they can go for a ride during January.

My personality and my citizenship has the ability to be somewhat less reactive than some others and therefore I have the patience to be tolerant to those that really don't understand the benefits of winter.

The ability to pee on your shoes outside reminds you that in all your bragging, it really isn't as big and long as you think it is. The woman dig a humble man. I know!

Poop is not an issue. No more stepping in it and getting nasty shoes. In fact, you can shoot poop from your snowblower at passing cars. That is fun. Problem is that the snowblower can only run away so fast.

During the summer, buying cold beer is always a challenge to get it home and into the fridge fast enough that it stays cold. During winter, a box in the back of the truck, 5 minutes home and you have cold beer. 30 minutes home and you have beer-sicles. That's a true treat.

I blew the clutch on my daily ride last fall. It's a mess but I have had months pondering about how I am going to repair it and I still have several months before I need to. I shop for the best price on clutches everyday, for months!

My friends to the south elected a new president and definitely a colorful fellow. During the winter, I rarely worry about politics. I worry about the large amount of natural fauna that is trying to eat me. Since it is so cold, the mouse population is well into hiding wherever they are keeping warm and my mouser looks at me with a grin..........................

So for those of you that think winter means wearing long pants, I would like to extend to you the benefits of wearing one piece long johns. The trap door is self explanatory. When you have to pass gas, you get really warm, really fast. Call it a selfie dutch-oven. (if I need to 'xplain that, your wife will hunt me down) They also have the benefit of fantastic fore-play. It takes a long time to get out of them and them women just love the tease. :evil:evil

One of the other benefits to winter is you feel youthful. Remember when you did do-nuts in the parking lot with your first car? Remember the police pulling you aside threatening to phone your mom because it was her car? So you see, the LEO was short sighted. You were building a skill that you could use in the winter when your $45,000 Ford truck hits a patch of ice and you can keep it from going into the rhubarb. If your bladder control is marginal, you walk away with wet pants and all in the truck are safe. If you have good bladder control, re-read about peeing on your shoes. I love high speed skids and my bladder control is just good enough.

So, there's two feet of snow outside, the bike is covered and connected to the battery tender and I'm going crazy.

Normally, I try to watch motorcycle movies to deal with the winter blues. Favorites include the obvious (On Any Sunday, Why We Ride, etc.) and less obvious (Motonomad II - excellent, if you haven't seen it!), etc. but I'm looking for suggestions of other movies to watch (or other things to do). :scratch

Any suggestions? (I hope to have a motorcycle trip in California in Feb, but the wife will only let me do one a winter...)
What I did to help with the blues was to go and buy a 2016 Honda CRF 250L two weeks ago. 400 miles later I feel great. No heated gear, just adrenalin rush for warmth. This is the smallest bike I have ever owned, and talk about fun.

What I did to help with the blues was to go and buy a 2016 Honda CRF 250L two weeks ago. 400 miles later I feel great. No heated gear, just adrenalin rush for warmth. This is the smallest bike I have ever owned, and talk about fun.

Nice!
I've been looking at those :thumb
OM

You've been missing a lot by never riding small bikes. If you want a perfect illustration, just watch a Moto3 race followed by MotoGP. Having said which, after hosts of 125s, 250s, 350s, a 500 and an 850 I now ride a R1200RS and it's the best bike I ever rode!

Can hardly wait until Spring when my medical issues should be wrapped up.

Cheers Everyone! 🌲 :dance

Actually this is a good time for medical treatments because it is to cold to ride anyway. I'm undergoing radiation treatment for prostate cancer. I will be finished in February. :dance I've already had a radical prostatectomy so the effects of the radiation are relatively minor. When the weather gets better in March and April I should be ready to ride.

You've been missing a lot by never riding small bikes. If you want a perfect illustration, just watch a Moto3 race followed by MotoGP. Having said which, after hosts of 125s, 250s, 350s, a 500 and an 850 I now ride a R1200RS and it's the best bike I ever rode!

I didn't say I never rode smaller bikes, I just never owned one. Mom would not allow it. I went straight to the Norton in high school when she didn't have as much say in the matter.

Actually this is a good time for medical treatments because it is to cold to ride anyway. I'm undergoing radiation treatment for prostate cancer. I will be finished in February. :dance I've already had a radical prostatectomy so the effects of the radiation are relatively minor. When the weather gets better in March and April I should be ready to ride.

My radiation treatments went really well! On the way to surgery this morning to remove a chunk of my nose. This too shall pass!

Best of luck with your radiation, hope it does the trick for you...

Ride On! :)

My radiation treatments went really well! On the way to surgery this morning to remove a chunk of my nose. This too shall pass!

Best of luck with your radiation, hope it does the trick for you...

Ride On! :)

I've already had a chunk of my nose removed but it wasn't malignant. Hope your surgery goes well. :thumb Getting old sucks but it's better than the alternative. :)

I'm not trying to turn this into a morbid thread. On the contrary. I'm saying that winter has its good points. I can get things done that keep me from being on my bike by doing them in the wintertime . . . when I can't be on my bike anyway. Then I can ride when the weather gets warmer. :wave

I'm not trying to turn this into a morbid thread. On the contrary. I'm saying that winter has its good points. I can get things done that keep me from being on my bike by doing them in the wintertime . . . when I can't be on my bike anyway. Then I can ride when the weather gets warmer. :wave

On the same page with you!

Not happy to have this little affliction, but glad to have some winter down time to deal with it.

Took me nine surgeries spread over nine years to defeat heart disease. One winter to defeat cancer is okay by me!

Ride On! :dance

Back