• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gearing up for first track day..

mjfink420

At the guidance of several members here, as well as some soul searching, I've decided to "get over it" and take the bike to a track. I live reasonably close to a few of them, including Carolina Motorsports Park, which seems to open pretty regularly (through different organizations) to motorcycles. A mix of excitement and cold, raw fear (my only motorcycle injuries in 3 decades of riding have been on tracks). Anyway, my fear aside, I'd like to both talk through gear selection; this stuff is all new to me!

The track that I'm looking at requires full leather, I'm trying to buy something good but not ridiculous.

Helmet ($400) -
Shoei RF-SR

Suit ($1,199) -

Airbag ($789) -

Gloves (full gauntlet required) ($109) -

Phew.. That's not going to be a cheap day! ;) The track is $230/day; they offer tires there, but since I'm going to be in novice, I was planning on just running my street tires (Road 6's).

Any suggestions or guidance that others can offer? One thing this does illustrate; I always hear (and have repeated myself) "Take it to the track" when I see someone doing something really dangerous on the roads. While that's obviously the right answer, the cost of this certainly puts it out the reach of many. Even doing it on the cheap, you're going to be well over 1000 bucks to have your tire touch a track for the first time.

Little worried that I won't enjoy it enough or do it often enough to make it worth the gear cost. That said, I've never heard anyone say anything but positive about track riding, so, I suspect the real fear (other than injury) is enjoying it so much that it becomes a constant expense! ;) Unfortunately, none of my street gear is up to the task, I have a modular helmet (the Sport Modular), my gloves aren't high enough for the track and textile gear isn't allowed at all (probably wouldn't wear it even if it was, but, leather track suits are required, so no decision to make there).

This is the group that offers track days (one of them anyway) at Carolina Motorsports (which I believe is my closest option):

All good choices.

The airbag system is most helpful should you high-side or slide off and start rolling at high speed. So don't do that. If you opt not to get the airbag, for sure get a back protector. Alpinestars also make a vest which incorporates a back protector and a chest protector - the next best thing to the airbag system.

Have fun!

So don't do that.

Oh, that was easy! Just saved me almost 1000 bucks, why didn't I think of that!! :)

Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it. I'm curious about the airbag because, as long as it's reasonably comfortable, I could see myself using that on the street as well. The suit, well.. Maybe on the Tail of the Dragon; but, honestly, if you're in full leathers and have a chat with a cop, I can't see that going well, at all. I mean, what on earth did you plan to do on the street today that compelled you to put on a 1 piece suit? Kind of like being pulled over in a car wearing a helmet and a HANS device.. Sure, probably a good idea if you're going to drive really fast, but.. Also kind of removes even a shadow of doubt about you heading out with the express intention of breaking the law!

So I suspect the one piece suit will be the most "specialized" piece of gear. My existing gloves and helmet don't meet the requirements, but neither of them is really "track only". I'd wear both of them without any concern for "enhanced" LEO scrutiny.

What about track boots?
Definitely consider upgrading your boots.

Another thing to consider when they say "leather" is that often a two-piece suit qualifies, where the jacket zips to the pants. This may be slightly less expensive, and may enable a wider use case (also easier to get comfortable between sessions - you can take off the jacket and leave the pants on.)

Just an FYI, I was chatting with a track-day aficiondo down at the local Cycle Gear recently (in my own quest for better outer gear), and he mentioned that Alpinestars is definitely much better than a lot of the stuff out there.

Definitely consider upgrading your boots.

Another thing to consider when they say "leather" is that often a two-piece suit qualifies, where the jacket zips to the pants. This may be slightly less expensive, and may enable a wider use case (also easier to get comfortable between sessions - you can take off the jacket and leave the pants on.)
Does appear that two piece is OK at that track, I was only focused on the 1 piece because I know that qualifies everywhere, so I wanted to "1 and done" it. Is the two piece setup that much more comfortable? I'm going to run over to Cycle Gear this week, they have a few suits in stock, so I'll try some on, but any experience you have would be helpful!

I wasn't thinking about boots; I currently wear Daytona Road Star GTX's. Are track boots substantially different? I know when I used to race motocross, the boots I wore for that were like a ski boot, hard as a rock with an actual hinge at the ankle for shifting/rear brake. Is there something like that for the track?

Just an FYI, I was chatting with a track-day aficiondo down at the local Cycle Gear recently (in my own quest for better outer gear), and he mentioned that Alpinestars is definitely much better than a lot of the stuff out there.

I used to wear their stuff almost exclusively racing dirt bikes. Lots of good experience with Alpinestars, I know there are a lot of good manufacturers out there, but I've always been happy with their stuff, so just planned to stay with them. Unfortunately, I crash tested a fair share of their off road gear on the track. Nothing could have saved me from some of the injuries, but, IMHO, their gear did what it was supposed to do and minimized the damage significantly when I came off at speed.

Does appear that two piece is OK at that track, I was only focused on the 1 piece because I know that qualifies everywhere, so I wanted to "1 and done" it. Is the two piece setup that much more comfortable? I'm going to run over to Cycle Gear this week, they have a few suits in stock, so I'll try some on, but any experience you have would be helpful!

I wasn't thinking about boots; I currently wear Daytona Road Star GTX's. Are track boots substantially different? I know when I used to race motocross, the boots I wore for that were like a ski boot, hard as a rock with an actual hinge at the ankle for shifting/rear brake. Is there something like that for the track?
No personal experience, just word of mouth from others that only do a few track days. If you don't plan on using the full suit often, you have the benefit of a good jacket to go with other pants, or a full suit for days you feel like it.

Look at pics of track days and all the people slightly hunched with sleeves tied around their waists for an idea of the bonus comfort of being able to just take off the jacket... :)

No personal experience, just word of mouth from others that only do a few track days. If you don't plan on using the full suit often, you have the benefit of a good jacket to go with other pants, or a full suit for days you feel like it.

Look at pics of track days and all the people slightly hunched with sleeves tied around their waists for an idea of the bonus comfort of being able to just take off the jacket... :)
Going to head down sometime this week and try on some suits, I'll make sure to try both 1 and 2 piece designs. Surprisingly, my local Cycle Gear has quite a few suits in stock, including some in my size! I'm shocked honestly. I've been riding for a long time now, and, with a few notable exceptions, typically on a really famous/popular motorcycle road, I almost never see anyone wearing a suit. Taking out the Tail of the Dragon (where suits aren't that uncommon), I think I've only seen 2-3 in my entire life out of the streets. Who's buying these things?!! But, whatever, glad they have them, having never worn one, I'll be nice to try a few on and get my sizing and see what I like/don't like in the various designs.

Now.. The final question.. Show up to my first track day on a S1000XR or buy another bike? While this sounds like a lot of $$, honestly, in some ways, this is less outlay than the gear. If I buy a small beginner bike (RC390, CF Moto 500, etc), it would have some residual value, honestly, what I'm seeing, they seem to hold value pretty well. So if I go a few times and don't like it, I'd suspect I can get most of the 5-6K back out of a small beginner bike, the gear depreciates to near 0 as soon as you use it, but the motorcycle does not. The other concern, taking the S1000XR for a slide would be expensive. Perhaps stupid expensive. I don't know for sure (going to investigate), but I think my insurance may specifically call out lack of coverage on a race track (I know I would if I were them!!). So a nasty fall, that could be the end of a 20K machine.

Still mulling it around; maybe do the first day(s) real easy on the BMW and, if I decide I like it, get a track bike and keep the 1000 for the street (yes, I'm aware, that sounds backwards!)? Or just get something cheap, a CF Moto 450, RC390, or a used 600-750 class machine and keep that for playing on the track? In my area, registration is dirt cheap, so I'd probably get plates for it and liability insurance; if I bin it, consider it a low cost (compared to binning the S1000) education?

Thanks for the help!

ETA: Just spoke with Progressive. As expected, no coverage on a "closed course", doesn't matter if you're racing or not, there's no coverage if you're on a track.

Last edited:
ETA: Just spoke with Progressive. As expected, no coverage on a "closed course", doesn't matter if you're racing or not, there's no coverage if you're on a track.

So a crashed track bike is a write-off. How about medical insurance for yourself? I’ve heard some employer funded insurance policies exclude certain activities.

At the guidance of several members here, as well as some soul searching, I've decided to "get over it" and take the bike to a track. I live reasonably close to a few of them, including Carolina Motorsports Park, which seems to open pretty regularly (through different organizations) to motorcycles. A mix of excitement and cold, raw fear (my only motorcycle injuries in 3 decades of riding have been on tracks). Anyway, my fear aside, I'd like to both talk through gear selection; this stuff is all new to me!

The track that I'm looking at requires full leather, I'm trying to buy something good but not ridiculous.

Helmet ($400) -
Shoei RF-SR

Suit ($1,199) -

Airbag ($789) -

Gloves (full gauntlet required) ($109) -

Phew.. That's not going to be a cheap day! ;) The track is $230/day; they offer tires there, but since I'm going to be in novice, I was planning on just running my street tires (Road 6's).

Any suggestions or guidance that others can offer? One thing this does illustrate; I always hear (and have repeated myself) "Take it to the track" when I see someone doing something really dangerous on the roads. While that's obviously the right answer, the cost of this certainly puts it out the reach of many. Even doing it on the cheap, you're going to be well over 1000 bucks to have your tire touch a track for the first time.

Little worried that I won't enjoy it enough or do it often enough to make it worth the gear cost. That said, I've never heard anyone say anything but positive about track riding, so, I suspect the real fear (other than injury) is enjoying it so much that it becomes a constant expense! ;) Unfortunately, none of my street gear is up to the task, I have a modular helmet (the Sport Modular), my gloves aren't high enough for the track and textile gear isn't allowed at all (probably wouldn't wear it even if it was, but, leather track suits are required, so no decision to make there).

This is the group that offers track days (one of them anyway) at Carolina Motorsports (which I believe is my closest option):
Don’t try to go fast…try to be smooth. Walk the track before you ride on it, familiarize yourself with the braking points and concentrate on the line..

I suspect if you start doing it with any regularity you are going to want a track bike. When I was at VIR a guy wrecked his Panigale R. We were gutted for him and went over to help him pack up for the day figuring he was done and in need of a drink or three. Dude wheels a Desmosedici out of his trailer and was like "I'll just finish the day on this". :ROFLMAO:

So a crashed track bike is a write-off. How about medical insurance for yourself? I’ve heard some employer funded insurance policies exclude certain activities.
Thankfully, other than sanctioned racing, my health insurance doesn't have a call out for riding on a closed course. That was my first stop (one of the first things I checked) when I got the suggestions to, and then started investigating track riding.

But yes, appears that a wreck at the track is a write off. Which makes taking a 20K+ motorcycle out there kind of "egh" for me. Maybe not the best of ideas? Seems like a "toy" might be the right way to go, something that a bad wreck is just a "can you put it in the dumpster for me" rather than a "wonder if I can fix this".

I'd really like to find a used 600-ish class bike. Seems the 600 super sports (4 cylinder) are becoming really rare, I see almost none of them for sale, but maybe a 650-800 class dual/triple if I can find one used for about what a 400 would cost new.. Also seems like used prices on "beginner" size bikes are kind of stupid. 2020 ZX400 ABS for 5,300 dollars?! A new one is 5900!

This is certainly educational. It's also abundantly obvious now why more people (especially those who are younger/have less $$) don't do this and just wind their "squid missle" out to 150 on the public roads. Kind of nuts that if you wreck going 80 around a 25MPH turn trying to drag knee on a public street your covered; do the same thing on a track, break out your checkbook. I don't know, but would guess that if someone hits you on the track, that's on you too (fixing/getting a new bike); I know it was when we raced motocross; after one wreck I had to basically throw away a 4-5K motorcycle. Writing off the S1000 would hurt!

I suspect if you start doing it with any regularity you are going to want a track bike. When I was at VIR a guy wrecked his Panigale R. We were gutted for him and went over to help him pack up for the day figuring he was done and in need of a drink or three. Dude wheels a Desmosedici out of his trailer and was like "I'll just finish the day on this". :ROFLMAO:

ROFL... Yeah, that was my "slow/cheap" bike, here's the one that I'd be upset if it wrecked!! ;) We all have a different tolerance level for financial pain, but binning a ~20K bike is above mine! ;)

My advice would be that you should attend a "track school" before doing a track day. There is a world of difference. In my opinion most track days are for experienced riders to practice their skills while track schools are to provide on-track training with good instructors in a controlled environment. I have lost track of who offers what schools where, but Voni and I started with Reg Pridmore's "Riders Advanced Training School (RATS)" in 1986 at the BMW MOA Rally at Laguna Seca. That was followed by Reg's "CLASS" several times and then by Jason Pridmore's "STARR" school a couple of times. Tracks included Laguna Seca, Heartland Park Topeka, and Road America.

I hope others will chime in here with what they know about current on-track schools and where they are provided and by whom.

Having been to a bunch of track days, a zip together 2 piece set up is fine. I have worn my regular street riding boots, which have an exoskeleton to prevent over extension and side rotation of the ankle. Gauntlet glove with a positive retention strap around your wrist is usually required as well.

You want to be perfectly dressed for sliding down the track on your ass.

Fair warning: You will work harder and sweat more than you expect.

My advice would be that you should attend a "track school" before doing a track day. There is a world of difference. In my opinion most track days are for experienced riders to practice their skills while track schools are to provide on-track training with good instructors in a controlled environment. I have lost track of who offers what schools where, but Voni and I started with Reg Pridmore's "Riders Advanced Training School (RATS)" in 1986 at the BMW MOA Rally at Laguna Seca. That was followed by Reg's "CLASS" several times and then by Jason Pridmore's "STARR" school a couple of times. Tracks included Laguna Seca, Heartland Park Topeka, and Road America.

I hope others will chime in here with what they know about current on-track schools and where they are provided and by whom.
YES. If you're just out there trying to haul ass without instruction, you're not going to learn a thing. You want instruction, not just free time.

2 others I am familiar with and/or have taken: California Superbike School, Yamaha Champions Riding School

Back