• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter Blues

bobs_one

So, there's two feet of snow outside, the bike is covered and connected to the battery tender and I'm going crazy.

Normally, I try to watch motorcycle movies to deal with the winter blues. Favorites include the obvious (On Any Sunday, Why We Ride, etc.) and less obvious (Motonomad II - excellent, if you haven't seen it!), etc. but I'm looking for suggestions of other movies to watch (or other things to do). :scratch

Any suggestions? (I hope to have a motorcycle trip in California in Feb, but the wife will only let me do one a winter...)

There's YouTube, and videos like this one from Jamie Robinson and MotoGeo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b7wijqBW1MI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

With snow like that, a pair of cross country skis would do you proud to keep in shape for the coming riding season. I enjoy all four seasons, and have never left the winter deter me from having outside fun. Have a trip scheduled (car) to Big Sky Montana for some skiing and snowmobiling, so cant wait for the calendar to burn a few days off. Setting around inside just makes the days go slower and allows the body to get soft. As long as the sun is shinning outside and temps are 0+ on the positive side, I say it just can't get any better than this, as long as the feet are walking on the north side of the green grass.....

So, there's two feet of snow outside, the bike is covered and connected to the battery tender and I'm going crazy.

Normally, I try to watch motorcycle movies to deal with the winter blues. Favorites include the obvious (On Any Sunday, Why We Ride, etc.) and less obvious (Motonomad II - excellent, if you haven't seen it!), etc. but I'm looking for suggestions of other movies to watch (or other things to do). :scratch

Any suggestions? (I hope to have a motorcycle trip in California in Feb, but the wife will only let me do one a winter...)

Well...I feel your pain, albeit only temporarily in my case. I'm in CA and while we do enjoy year round riding, my bike is at the shop having the clutch worked on. So needless to say, I'm not riding either. Worst part is the bike is NOT in my garage plugged in to a battery tender where at least I can admire it. Once that clutch job is done though....I'm GONE! :bolt

Up until recently, I had 5 bikes in the garage. Sold another one yesterday, soon to be picked up, and that will get me back to a much more reasonable 3.
You know you've hit rock bottom when you go out to the garage, and start talking to your bikes, telling them how you miss them, and uncovering them, just for a peek at what Springtime holds for you.
It may sound weird, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
During the winter doldrums, I'll peruse motorcycle websites, and bike you tube videos, and start planning out next year's rides on MapSource or BaseCamp. Gives me plenty of time to tweak the little pink twisty lines, until the rides are perfected.

You know you've hit rock bottom when you go out to the garage, and start talking to your bikes, telling them how you miss them, and uncovering them, just for a peek at what Springtime holds for you.

:)
om

We went from 80 degrees Saturday as I rode over to mom in laws to freeze proof her outdoor spaces...woke up to 27 Sunday AM with windchills in the teens. No Sunday breakfast ride...or Monday mail run by bike...No ice this time, but no reason at all to gear up and make a loop.
Three days of this and I am done...really gotta love you guys who love the 4 seasons as you scrape,shovel and blow. :bow

We have four seasons, they just are not such a major swing...and that works for us just fine as adding snowmobiles to our fleet would take up valuable bike and gear space:D

Stay sane my friends...stay sane:thumb

Just a few comments from a rider where are 4 seasons:
First, is not so bad to take a break for a few months from riding!
Makes you appreciate it more when the new season starts!
And then, when summer heat is on, we may experience a few days
over 90, so is still better than what you have down south. Remember,
you can dress for cold, little you can do for heat!!
A sunny day and clear sky is much more appreciated after a storm, then
if it is always a sunny day!! JMHO!

I get my thrills hanging on to my snowblower...............Still got handle bars and a throttle so that's pretty close.

Funny thing though, I got a Fitbit and on average, I chase my snowblower for 16 kms per snow fall!! We are averaging three snowfalls greater than 6" per week right now and at the rate my Fitbit says I'm going, I'm gonna do more miles on it than on my bike!!

Just a few comments from a rider where are 4 seasons:
First, is not so bad to take a break for a few months from riding!
Makes you appreciate it more when the new season starts!
And then, when summer heat is on, we may experience a few days
over 90, so is still better than what you have down south. Remember,
you can dress for cold, little you can do for heat!!
A sunny day and clear sky is much more appreciated after a storm, then
if it is always a sunny day!! JMHO!

You keep on believing all that while I keep on riding. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else even with all those terrible downsides!

I get my thrills hanging on to my snowblower...............Still got handle bars and a throttle so that's pretty close.

Funny thing though, I got a Fitbit and on average, I chase my snowblower for 16 kms per snow fall!! We are averaging three snowfalls greater than 6" per week right now and at the rate my Fitbit says I'm going, I'm gonna do more miles on it than on my bike!!

"....16kms.....
.......6"........
.......more miles on it than on my bike!!"

What, no mention of Imperial Gallons? My good man, pick a system of units and stick with it.

This is the time of year when I regret....selling my Ducati 900 SS/SP.

But I "make do" with my S.:)

Can hardly wait until Spring when my medical issues should be wrapped up.

Cheers Everyone! 🌲 :dance

We just finished a ride around the block. TX118 to FM 170 to US 67 to US 90 to TX118 back home. 238 miles.

Back