• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter Blues

Last winter was fairly mild here so I just kept riding. If the roads were dry, then I was probably on my bike. I may have been a bit too enthusiastic. :wave:wave

This winter is trending much colder so far, plus my battery died, so I'm trying to stay busy working on inside projects. I live in a 60 year old house, so there is plenty to do if I just avoid the comfy confines of my recliner. BTW, installing a new battery and completing winterization are planned for next week when I'm on vacation.

Long story short, I tend to be someone who is motivated to do more by getting current things done. Whether it is surviving a ride in 15F weather, running five miles, or finishing re-painting a room, that sense of accomplishment helps motivate me to do more and avoid those winter blues.

68 yesterday

I rode to a town North of here to pick up a sweet deal on a luggage rack for the topcase..NEW..$20.00.

This is the start of a great holiday. Today i am taking the ferry off the island and going South to Myrtle Beach Costco...much cheaper booze selection there. Do you feel my pain?

Put some GS decals on bags this morning. It was too cold in garage (partially heated) so brought them inside. Heat wave coming Monday, predicting 52 degrees....may put "R1200" decals on tank if warm enough in garage....wife won't let me bring GS inside, especially with Christmas company....LOL.

And BWT....MERRY CHRISTMAS! And Happy Holidays to all.

Last edited:
Motorcycle movies.

If you haven't seen it look for the Netflix series called "The long way Round" about two guys that leave England heading east thru Mongolia and Russia then across North America to New York and back home to England.

It is a nine part series about an hour each segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-0uBcnmE2M

Enjoy

I usually hate Oct, Nov and Dec. but this year we got to do some riding in Nov and I started to fix an oil leak on the Triumph Trophy 500. I ended up totally dismantling it, frame painted, all the fasteners replated just the new wiring harness to install now. We usually head south for 3 months and get back to Alberta just in time to get the bikes ready for another year of riding, but we are staying home this year. The Trophy will be done and the Bonneville will have it's oil leaks attended too also. Next year I have 2 Honda Mini Trails to restore.
I have to say I really enjoy following this forum, I have learned a lot from all of you, thanks, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

BTW. I just looked at snow chains for the bike. We had fourteen inches last weeks, rain melted it and then another fourteen inches. Used the backhoe to clean up and hopefully will be riding this weekend. Even better if I get the new drive shaft in the R1100RSL. Then I will have to decide which one to ride :dance

BTW. I just looked at snow chains for the bike. We had fourteen inches last weeks, rain melted it and then another fourteen inches. Used the backhoe to clean up and hopefully will be riding this weekend. Even better if I get the new drive shaft in the R1100RSL. Then I will have to decide which one to ride :dance
If it rains and melts 14" of snow then you get another 14" of snow and then it melts so you can ride, you have erroneously posted in "Winter Blues". You should perhaps start a new string titled, "Spring in Winterpeg".

Well, time to take a two week break from the cold. So in a few hours I'll be drinking Longboards at Kalapaki Joe's in Poipu. :D

"See" you all in two weeks.

So, there's two feet of snow outside, the bike is covered and connected to the battery tender and I'm going crazy.

Normally, I try to watch motorcycle movies to deal with the winter blues. Favorites include the obvious (On Any Sunday, Why We Ride, etc.) and less obvious (Motonomad II - excellent, if you haven't seen it!), etc. but I'm looking for suggestions of other movies to watch (or other things to do). :scratch

Any suggestions? (I hope to have a motorcycle trip in California in Feb, but the wife will only let me do one a winter...)

Watch " The long way Round" a nine part series on Netflix. It is about two English guys who travel East from England thru Mongolia, Russia, The Yukon Territories and finally across the US to New York.

Each segment is about 45 minutes long.

"Winter" here in NC is 70 degrees today and our club oyster roast is this Sat. A sampling of our local oysters a few days ago (at Ella's in Calabash- home of Jimmy Durante's Miss Calabash) proved they are in prime condition- fat, juicy and nicely salty.

Nonetheless, am off to Isla Mujeres in a couple weeks for 2 weeks of relaxing in the sun and catching Atlantic sailfish, the high flying lightweight champs of sportfishing. An easy 3 hr flight from eastern US, family friendly even for letting kiddies wander, good food, not expensive, and nothing like the drug seeking/drunk crowds in Cancun, etc.

An alternate interest or 2 can offer options for those stuck in snow country- even if its ice fishing...

If it rains and melts 14" of snow then you get another 14" of snow and then it melts so you can ride, you have erroneously posted in "Winter Blues". You should perhaps start a new string titled, "Spring in Winterpeg".

The avatar is worthy of a Jedi......

Well, time to take a two week break from the cold. So in a few hours I'll be drinking Longboards at Kalapaki Joe's in Poipu. :D

"See" you all in two weeks.

I've never met you, but beginning to think you are a cruel person!

Mahalo!
🏝

Back