• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter Blues

Actually this is a good time for medical treatments because it is to cold to ride anyway. I'm undergoing radiation treatment for prostate cancer. I will be finished in February. :dance I've already had a radical prostatectomy so the effects of the radiation are relatively minor. When the weather gets better in March and April I should be ready to ride.

That's a lot to go through. Get well!

When my prostate biopsy came back negative two years ago, I bought a new wethead GS. But since then, my identical twin brother has been diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer, so I may not be done with that issue. My risk has just skyrocketed since I now have the closest possible family history of prostate cancer.

And just a couple of days ago I discovered that my lower left abdomen was swollen, a sure sign of a left inguinal hernia. I have an appointment to see my favorite surgeon in a week. I'll definitely get that repaired as soon as possible so I will be able ride this coming season.

Harry

When my prostate biopsy came back negative two years ago, I bought a new wethead GS. But since then, my identical twin brother has been diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer, so I may not be done with that issue. My risk has just skyrocketed since I now have the closest possible family history of prostate cancer.

And just a couple of days ago I discovered that my lower left abdomen was swollen, a sure sign of a left inguinal hernia. I have an appointment to see my favorite surgeon in a week. I'll definitely get that repaired as soon as possible so I will be able ride this coming season.

Harry

I wish for the best of outcomes for both yourself and your brother.

A little update for those following my ramblings....

Doc called this afternoon with the pathology results from last Tuesdays excision.

"Clear margins" all the way around the tumor, no more detectable cancer, nose reconstruction starts this coming week.

Hallelujah and pass the ammunition! And the Single Malt Scotch! :dance

Doc called this afternoon with the pathology results from last Tuesdays excision.

"Clear margins" all the way around the tumor, no more detectable cancer, nose reconstruction starts this coming week.

:thumb:thumb:thumb

Harry

I'm pulling for you and your brother. :thumb

:thumb :thumb :thumb Good to hear that! (I don't need an excuse to have a good Single Malt Scotch. :dance )

So, there's two feet of snow outside, the bike is covered and connected to the battery tender and I'm going crazy.

Normally, I try to watch motorcycle movies to deal with the winter blues. Favorites include the obvious (On Any Sunday, Why We Ride, etc.) and less obvious (Motonomad II - excellent, if you haven't seen it!), etc. but I'm looking for suggestions of other movies to watch (or other things to do). :scratch

Any suggestions? (I hope to have a motorcycle trip in California in Feb, but the wife will only let me do one a winter...)

I haven't seen it -nor have I seen even a trailer- but Dreamracer is an award winning film about not only the Dakar Rally, but about chasing dreams in general, near as I can tell. By all accounts a great film.

Probably a good one to add to the collection. And the Winter viewing itinerary.

https://youtu.be/9_Gqmes3mag

Just a thought...plan a trip somewhere. Spend some time figuring out where you're going. What you'll see. What's the history of the area. Maybe the geology. Dry Falls in Eastern Washington is a case in point. At one time it was the site of the largest waterfall known in the world. It was five times the width of Niagara Falls with ten times the flow of all the current rivers in the world combined. You could spend hours learning about the things you'll be riding through.

And then, even though I hate giving a plug to Google...using Google Maps' Street View, will allow you to "ride" through that route and whet your appetite to what you have planned.

Chris

Winter blues

It is 8:30 PM in central Illinois outside still 54 degrees F and the roads still cold so they are sweating like ( fill in blank) on judgment day salt is very visible than the spray application of liquid de-icer so warm enough to ride but no running water at shop where bike spends winter can ride by house wash salt off by time i get back to shop salt back WINTER BLUES

It is 8:30 PM in central Illinois outside still 54 degrees F and the roads still cold so they are sweating like ( fill in blank) on judgment day salt is very visible than the spray application of liquid de-icer so warm enough to ride but no running water at shop where bike spends winter can ride by house wash salt off by time i get back to shop salt back WINTER BLUES

:nyah:nyah:nyah

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

High of 62º here today, no noticeable salt, a little leftover sand near the intersections.

Managed about 150 miles of mostly twisty roads.

Need more time on the road, felt a little rusty...

Expecting rain all day tomorrow.:cry

Back to planning a route to SLC...

Just a thought...plan a trip somewhere. Spend some time figuring out where you're going. What you'll see. What's the history of the area. Maybe the geology. Dry Falls in Eastern Washington is a case in point. At one time it was the site of the largest waterfall known in the world. It was five times the width of Niagara Falls with ten times the flow of all the current rivers in the world combined. You could spend hours learning about the things you'll be riding through.

And then, even though I hate giving a plug to Google...using Google Maps' Street View, will allow you to "ride" through that route and whet your appetite to what you have planned.

Chris

Great idea. :thumb

I'm planning a trip to Islay (Scotland) in April with my son to visit a few distilleries. We won't be riding because we will be sampling Single Malt Scotch. :hungover

Winter is over...ride to Daytona

I hope all of you snowbirds have your bikes ready for Daytona. A bunch of us are staying here: Holiday Travel Park at exit 278 off of Interstate 95 just north of Daytona Beach and close to all the activities.

Let me know if you would like the details.

I hope all of you snowbirds have your bikes ready for Daytona. A bunch of us are staying here: Holiday Travel Park at exit 278 off of Interstate 95 just north of Daytona Beach and close to all the activities.

Let me know if you would like the details.

Winter is over? I hope not, I pruned trees yesterday:)

Back