• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Do You Make?

For 25 years i made sure brown trucks, package cars, were safe to drive down the road and now i ride motorcycles.

Henzilla, from your avatar I had surmised as much. If you were on the front lines, as your post seems to indicate - my hat's off to you!

Way Cool vid...

I too am a stagehand, Local 240 in Billings, MT

That's a pretty great video. Neat.

Another Stagehand here - Local 38, also a Lighting Designer. Doing ~ the 1260th performance of Christmas Carol tomorrow. 30 years of magic for kids and adults. Kids come by the busload for morning matinees. They. Just. Keep. Coming. :help :clap

hey! nice to meet a couple of bretherns. :D I was local 311 for about ten years, about 15 years ago. Now Im the TD/LD at an old rope-and-sandbag place in Poughkeepsie, NY.
For closure, here is the Load Out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOvaXvkBmbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And for grins, a Diana Ross show day in a minute :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1AnPfySnybE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Henzilla, from your avatar I had surmised as much. If you were on the front lines, as your post seems to indicate - my hat's off to you!

Thanks, most of my years were out in the field and never any serious mishaps...a few splinters taking the short way down, but that's part of the deal. I still cringe in T-storms when others like the light show as that used to mean a long night or two. Have made a few LEO's and Firefighters scramble for cover as the sparks flew a "few" times:whistle All good times:laugh

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Cyberguy

For 23+ years Iturned more of your tax dollars into smoke and noise. Then I became a cyber guy and I now turn you money into more secure (I hope ) networks....

Duty First!

sgtbill
Missing the Army life since 2001

I make Molybdenum-99.....too bad for you if you are a customer!!!

Its a short lived radioactive isotope used for imaging of circulatory problems; heart blockages, DVTs, internal organs, etc.

A bit of radiation is better than the knife!!

For fun, I make instruments (fiddles and guitars, from scratch). To support my addictions (airheads, woodworking, photography) I study the genes of families with inherited diseases.

Attachments

• ElecfiddleSmall.jpg
    ElecfiddleSmall.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 127
Thanks--it's my own design. This one has a mahogany core with laminated birdseye maple bouts and body. The bridges are made by an outfit named Barbera Transducers--they embed two transducers in the wood under each string.

A mess, usually, and then magic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8DMk6y1Bm4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Way Cool vid...

I too am a stagehand, Local 240 in Billings, MT

me too. :usa
IATSE Locals 98 (Hershey) and 97 (Reading) in Pennsylvania.

here's a gig i worked on this summer, t'was perhaps the highlight of the year. TONS (literally) of fun.

U22.jpg

U25.jpg

U27.jpg

U210.jpg

U26.jpg

U211.jpg

U29.jpg

U28.jpg

U21.jpg

this was a LOT of fun, but some seriously hard work. i was on as a climber here, in Philly. i'd worked only the production load out in Baltimore earlier, but came on here as a climber, for the steel strike. we literally picked the whole rig up off the ground and broke it apart from the bottom up, dropping the whole thing little by little, until it was sitting on the ground! 5 minutes after we began, i was sitting on top of the rig, breaking the *skin* loose! what a way to begin a day.

hey! nice to meet a couple of bretherns. :D I was local 311 for about ten years, about 15 years ago. Now Im the TD/LD at an old rope-and-sandbag place in Poughkeepsie, NY.
For closure, here is the Load Out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOvaXvkBmbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And for grins, a Diana Ross show day in a minute :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1AnPfySnybE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

COOL! :usa howdy guys, from PA Locals 98 & 97! (see above) i had no idea that we had that many stagehands here at BMWMOA! cheers, to all, the gig is fun but not an easy way to make a living. it's all part time for me, so i run about a 100 mile radius to make it full time, working in Hershey, Reading, Philly, York, Shippensburg & Wilkes Barre here in PA, and also Baltimore (& surrounding area) with Local 19, and Wilmington, DE with Local 284

yeah but i used to

Build things. nice things. had a 30+ year career as a carpenter/woodworker/cabinet maker

as an example, here's a couple teaser shots of some work i did for a friend- a study in red oak & cherry

doors:
springsummer2011457.jpg

springsummer2011459.jpg

springsummer2011460.jpg

she had some antlers and wanted to have them as handles for her doors. we found a matched pair, and i had some cool old Brass screws so that's what i used. i put a Watco oil & wax finish on these. 10 years later, they're holding up pretty well.

stereo cabinet:

springsummer2011462.jpg

springsummer2011478.jpg

springsummer2011463.jpg

springsummer2011474.jpg

made this with fixed shelves to specified dimensions. i needed to vent the receiver, so i pulled an old floor vent out of her kitchen, which was due for a new flooring job, and cut it into the top of this cabinet for her. the old cast iron vent matched the little pulls we used on the doors.
found some great matched veneered cherry to use on the doors... something different. this cabinet was primarily veneered plywood and MDF, so i put an industrial grade Catalyzed Laquer finish on it. all mouldings and edgings are hardwood.

me too. :usa
IATSE Locals 98 (Hershey) and 97 (Reading) in Pennsylvania.

here's a gig i worked on this summer, t'was perhaps the highlight of the year. TONS (literally) of fun.

this was a LOT of fun, but some seriously hard work. i was on as a climber here, in Philly. i'd worked only the production load out in Baltimore earlier, but came on here as a climber, for the steel strike. we literally picked the whole rig up off the ground and broke it apart from the bottom up, dropping the whole thing little by little, until it was sitting on the ground! 5 minutes after we began, i was sitting on top of the rig, breaking the *skin* loose! what a way to begin a day.

That's U2's monster, is it not? The 360 stage? Couple of buddies of mine did some work on that.. You maybe know a Baltimore guy named Joe Yates? :ear

YEah, tis funny, I had no idea there were so many of us here :laugh

That's U2's monster, is it not? The 360 stage? Couple of buddies of mine did some work on that.. You maybe know a Baltimore guy named Joe Yates? :ear

YEah, tis funny, I had no idea there were so many of us here :laugh

IATSE rocks. no show would be complete without us. watching a film the other day, an older flick, The Manchurian Candidate- there was a scene where the IA film crew guys slipped a shot of an IATSE sticker into prominent focus! i thought, OK now!

anyway, bro- yes that's what that is, wasn't trying to say it out loud, but yep.
that gig was a boatload of fun, but the last couple trips up those vertical towers after 10-11 hours of ass bustin were a real MOFO. that was a really fantastic international crew.

i don't know Joe Yates by name tho there are a LOT of local 19 guys. i would probably recognise his face tho, as i work down there fairly regularly. is he a rigger by any chance? does he work up in Philly too, sometimes? i got onto the production OUT for Baltimore's U2 show at the last minute- didn't do the IN, and wasn't on as a climber or rigger there- got on in Philly as a climber, strictly for the *green steel* strike, after the production OUT. it was a daylight call, beginning at 7:00 or 8:00 AM, if i recall correctly, and went about 12 hours.

up in Philly i typically only get certain calls, mostly big gigs at the stadium where i go on as a climber. but sometimes the BA from Wilmington gets me onto smaller gigs there. Philly can be a bit of a PIA for assorted reasons (parking) but i always wind up working with good people there. sometimes the climbing calls are at weird hours- like 3:00 AM for Kenny Chesney, for example, this past summer... at least the parking at the stadium there is cake. those climbing calls are usually 10-12 hours.

cheers, man!
see ya around maybe.

Back