• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Do You Make?

A mess, usually, and then magic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8DMk6y1Bm4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What I make you can't buy, you can't measure it, hard to even put a value on it, but you can see it.

I make a difference for people, I've been doing so for the past 22 years as a firefighter.

I make and do the same think it says on the gravemarker of one of our founding fathers , Benjamin Franklin.Been at it now for 34+ years and still lovin it.
I'll read here occationally to see if anyone guessed it.

since yer not yet "food for worms" I doth suspect a printer. If so, I used to do that as well but on plastic at 400 fpm. I didn't love it but it was a great learning experience. Splice a roll at 400.... whoosh! - Bob (ok, I googled it:blush)

A mess, usually, and then magic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8DMk6y1Bm4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a pretty great video. Neat.

Another Stagehand here - Local 38, also a Lighting Designer. Doing ~ the 1260th performance of Christmas Carol tomorrow. 30 years of magic for kids and adults. Kids come by the busload for morning matinees. They. Just. Keep. Coming. :help :clap

I project manage and occasionally help install custom cabinetry, made right here in Lancaster County, PA. And yes, the guy making the cabinets is Amish. We also sell mass produced cabinetry, depending on the clients budget, they are made in VA.

I make and do the same think it says on the gravemarker of one of our founding fathers , Benjamin Franklin.Been at it now for 34+ years and still lovin it.
I'll read here occationally to see if anyone guessed it.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say BEER!

What I make comes to your home in the mail and leaves via the recycle bin. It's my job to support the postal service, loggers and stinky paper mills so please at least open your junk mail.

this is what drives me absolutely nuts. :banghead

there are so many things that i would gladly pay triple for just to be able to get something that lasts instead of a total P.O.S.

i personally have not made anything since i printed my last brochure 15 or so years ago. and heck, i didn't even print it myself... i was the creative director that supervised its design and production.

nowadays, everything i produce is electronic, out in the ether. still good stuff and not cheap, but not real, you can't hold it in your hand, unless you're looking at it on your iPhone.... :ha

my dad, now, he built some things that were very *very* good and lasts a very long time... golf courses. he was the president of Robert Trent Jones' golf construction company. Let me tell you... I have played some unbelievable golf courses in my life....

36647.jpg

9084.jpg

Robert-T.Jones-Jr.-Palmares-Golf-Club-Portugal.jpg

ian

Hey Ian... your Dad and I have likely run across each other over the years. I am a civil engineer and I specialize in the engineering of golf course lakes and water features. I've done quite a few RTJ courses over the years.

At work, I design and build both components for primary production tools and secondary assembly machines for an automotive plastics manufacturer. Most of the parts we make will never be seen by the average consumer (unless they look closely), but will be seen by a home wrencher.

At home I make knives, black powder guns, and clocks. Or more precisely, I finish them. I make knives from finished blades and raw handle stock, and guns and clocks from kits.

I like working with my hands, what can I say? ;)

OK, I'll play. I had a hand in making these 2, took lots of practice.

Attachments

• kids.jpg
    kids.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 182
I don't make anything (professionally at least.) I do help keep the lights on for some folks.

I don't make anything (professionally at least.) I do help keep the lights on for some folks.

I used to " keep the lights on" as well in two different major cities. Nice riding down the roads I helped build lines along , then supervised being built over twenty five plus years and seeing straight poles doing their thing. A lot of lines are underground as well...I know they are there. I set so many meters in Austin during its 80/90's's boom it still boggles the mind. Don't miss the late night callouts on dark & stormy nights at all.

Back