• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Batteries, I must be doing something wrong...

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
Reading so many posts on numerous forums about short battery life, I am getting far too many years out of my batteries. What the hell am I doing wrong?

As in 9+ years from conventional lead-acid batteries and also a GEL battery and more recently, an AGM battery in my motorcycles and up to 16 years from conventional lead-acid batteries and one AGM battery in my cars. I should mention that all of these are the factory fitted batteries that came with the vehicle.

The trick? Hell if I know. I do check the alternator output and battery voltage all the time as some of my vehicles come with a voltmeter in the instrument display, and on others, I installed either a cigarette lighter plug-in voltmeter or one that I made from components bought at Mouser Electronics.

So with all the new battery technology, why change with what works? There are several reasons some owners are having battery issues it isn’t always the battery or the charging system.

So I looked at ads and YouTube videos about the latest and greatest batteries available and their sales pitch from salespeople that really do not know much about batteries. Lets see now and see what all the hype is about that they claim…

Eco Friendly: When looking at the mining, the production and disposal of batteries, none of them are Eco Friendly. Can I really chuck that battery into the garbage? The answer is NO, at least if you care about being Eco Friendly.

Long Life: as in 2-3X the battery life (over a conventional battery I would assume) and many state that. In fact when AGMs started to get popular, the battery manufacturer also tried to make you believe that. At the time, I was and still am a true believer in the “conventional battery”, because they can be maintained. I can top them off with distilled water and I can equalize the cells. Also, there is no such thing as a “Maintenance-Free” battery that so many are led to believe; Minimum-Maintenance but not Maintenance-Free as nothing can be done to a VRLA (AGM or GEL) battery. VRLA batteries are so-called sealed but they do vent if needed for safety reasons. So if I am getting 10 and 16 years out of a conventional battery, will I get 20 and 32 from a high-tech battery. I highly doubt it.

Low Self-Discharge: no question about it, when the battery is disconnected and sitting on a store shelf. The same can be said for an AGM battery with a low self-discharge. But these batteries are in a vehicle with certain systems draining the battery while parked at a far greater rate than the ultra-low self-discharge the battery manufacturers claim. That is why “battery maintainers” were invented for vehicles that are parked. The low self-discharge claim is an unimportant feature, so who cares?

Weight: if it matters to you. Sure, I would save 10 pounds on my motorcycle battery and 26 pounds on my car battery (H7 94R 80Ah) of the same size and capacity (Ah). What percentage is that of the vehicle, far less than 1% in my car? So where do they get this “Drop up to 40 lbs instantly!” claim? If you need the bragging rights, fill your boots.

Number of Cycles: these are used as vehicle batteries also called SLI (starting-lighting-ignition) batteries used to start the vehicle (the highest load on the battery) and to act as the capacitor in the charging system for 12V accessories. Number of cycles are only important in cases such as trolling motors where a battery goes from 100% state of charge to say 20% state of charge and it is also important to use a deep-discharge type battery which is normally a GEL battery. The “number of cycles and deep discharges” does not apply in vehicle use.

Greater Energy: why would I need more? The factory batteries have started my motorcycles and cars till the battery dies due to old age (9+ to 16 years). If I have a starting issue, it is due to battery neglect (ultra rare in my case), a high resistance connection or a starter in need of repair.

Improved mileage: oh it is there, but the gain is so small, it cannot be measured. The weight reduction is so insignificant, the difference in rolling resistance cannot be measured. Even if you had to accelerate repeatedly from traffic light to traffic light, that gain cannot be measured.

Improved performance: would best be left to a world class racer who can put in 10 identical lap times and then have then drive the vehicle with each battery, and to make sure there is no bias, not inform them what is under the hood. I highly doubt you’d see any difference.

Cost: lets not go there. In my car, $1200 vs $170…really?

But these high-tech batteries are great in my mobile phone, tablet, laptop and digital camera to mention a few. Vehicles, not so much.

My K1200GT is off to a new owner and because I like the guy (my brother-in-law) I am going to replace the old Odyssey battery in it. I have noted it does not have the same pep in cranking the bike over to start it. I knew it was getting up in years but was a bit surprised when I dug out the records and realized it's eleven years old. I guess that's pretty good. Its always stored in a heated garage and kept on a tender if sitting for longer periods. Other than that, no special care or treatment. I'll likely put in a similar battery for him.

Don’t come to Florida. The heat down here eats batteries in half that time.

You are missing the point being made in the thread. Its about all the inaccurate claims made that your average person who knows abolutely nothing about batteries believes.

My K1200GT is off to a new owner and because I like the guy (my brother-in-law) I am going to replace the old Odyssey battery in it. I have noted it does not have the same pep in cranking the bike over to start it.

Neither do we as we get older. :D

The Odyssey being an AGM battery is one that I never had full confidence in. Why, because they cannot be maintained as a conventional battery can by adding distilled water. But I now have two AGM batteries because they came factory fitted to my 2016 BMW R1200 GSA and 2015 Porsche 911 GTS, both were still cranking as new before winter layaway. That makes them 7 and 8 years old so far, so I'll see how long they'll last.

As for heat as the previous member mentioned, having worked in a defense battery lab, I know what kills batteries. The other issue is charging systems that overcharge batteries in hot weather due to a lack of temperature compensation. And that especially kills VRLA batteries (AGM & GEL). They will gas and that is a no-no in a VRLA type battery. That is why my vehicles have a voltmeter.

You are missing the point being made in the thread. Its about all the inaccurate claims made that your average person who knows abolutely nothing about batteries believes.

Actually I got the point quite well and appreciated it being made. Guess I should have pointed that out before I made my observation about battery lifespan.

Actually I got the point quite well and appreciated it being made. Guess I should have pointed that out before I made my observation about battery lifespan.

No worries. I like claiming I am an advertizing execs worst nightmare and don't believe all their claims unless I verify them.

Lakeland for the Sun 'N Fun that I never got to. Been to the EAA Convention in Oshkosh many times though.

I am an information hound with my SSDs filled to the 500 Gb mark...I need some bigger SSDs.

There are good battery technical manuals that can be downloaded in PDF for those interested in batteries. YUASA and East Penn have them. Then there is Battery University.

Two battery charts from the East Penn Technical Manual worth saving...
AGM.jpg

GEL.jpg

Lakeland for the Sun 'N Fun that I never got to. Been to the EAA Convention in Oshkosh many times though.

Just wrapped up another very successful one with the Blue Angels this year. We have been giving Oshkosh a run for their money. You should check it out sometime.

I am an information hound with my SSDs filled to the 500 Gb mark...I need some bigger SSDs.

There are good battery technical manuals that can be downloaded in PDF for those interested in batteries. YUASA and East Penn have them. Then there is Battery University.

Two battery charts from the East Penn Technical Manual worth saving...
View attachment 91525

View attachment 91526

Would explain charge and float for me?

Thanks

Would explain charge and float for me?

Thanks

If you are using a battery charger & maintainer (float) and you can choose the battery type (Lead-Acid, AGM, GEL), all that is taken care of for you...hopefully, if it is a quality charger. Some of them will have a Snowflake mode (~14.7V) for charging in the winter which is also used for AGM batteries since they require a higher charge voltage. From the charts you can see that during warmer temperatures, charge voltage is reduced and during cold temperatures, charge voltage is increased. Once the battery is fully charged (end or charge voltage depends on battery type and temperature), the so-called smart charger switches to a lower voltage Float mode just to keep it topped up and to overcome any drains associated with the vehicle.

When I am in my car or motorcycle driving along, the maximum voltage I want to see on my voltmeter based on my ambient temperature is between the Optimum to Maximum as shown in the Charge columns. Float does not come into play although reduced charge voltage is now controlled by the ECM in some vehicles to save energy (some cars have a sensor on the negative battery post).

For example, not knowing that I had a factory fitted AGM battery in the Porsche, I saw 14.8V and was alarmed...damn, I am overcharging my battery thinking it was a conventional Lead-Acid battery. But for an AGM at 6°C, that was perfectly normal, check the chart. That AGM battery is not going into its 9th year.

For example, on my BMW R1150 GSA which has a factory fitted GEL battery, I never saw more than 14.2V displayed and usually it is 14.0V and as low as 13.8V on very hot days. Perfectly normal for the temperatures I am riding in.

A conventional Lead-Acid battery can be overcharged for cell equalization (15 to 16V) and it will gas which is why you can add distilled water if the acid levels drop, whereas a VRLA (AGM or GEL) should never be overcharged. VRLA batteries are sealed but can gas for safety reasons.

Some might wonder how alternators change the charge voltage based on temperature. Two ways, the older units had a "voltage regulator" where an end charge voltage is specified as well as temperature compensation (-7mV/°C for example), others more recently might or will be controlled by the vehicles ECM (computer).

Not sure I have ever seen anyone trying so hard to Jinx themselves! :D

OM

Nahhh, if I got 80% of my usual battery life, I'd still be way ahead. :D

You ought to see the guys on the car forums. Talk about paranoid when it comes to battery failure. Imagine if it were something really serious. ;)

Just put a new battery in my 640 Adventure, in 15 years I must have put 10 in that bike. No idea why it burns them up so bad. My R65 has the same battery it came to me with and that must be 10 years.

Just put a new battery in my 640 Adventure, in 15 years I must have put 10 in that bike. No idea why it burns them up so bad. My R65 has the same battery it came to me with and that must be 10 years.

What is the running charge voltage going to the battery in the 640? What type of batteries are you installing in the 640? Or is it the charger/maintainer in the off season?

Back