• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Do You Make?

H

HONDARIDER

So I kept hearing advertisements about a movement to shop locally last Saturday...a sentiment that I can certainly get behind...and it got me to thinking about the state of American manufacturing these days. It seems that American made products are few and far between today...now I'm not against a world market...especially when you're dealing in high quality products...clearly we're all riding German machinery...but I was wondering how many of us are actually still producing an American product that you can touch and feel...something that we do better than anyone else. I manufactured capacitors for 11 years...Sprague Capacitor Company...high quality products that were meant to last 30 years of constant operation in things like your refrigerator or air conditioner. Eventually our business went away because nobody wants to pay for an appliance that will run for 30 years anymore...they'll take a $99 air conditioner that will last a season or two before giving up the ghost. Manufacturers started asking for less longevity and less reliability for less cost. Eventually we moved to Mexico to stay competetive and then to China when Mexico grew too costly. Those were sad days...nothing made me happier than taking 50 different types of raw material and turining it into a finished product that you can hold in your hand and will serve its intended purpose...a symbol of pride for an entire community of people who worked in the factory for generation after generation. I enjoyed nothing more than giving the plant tour and walking people through every step of the manufacturing process. You could still see the remnants of the Industrial Revolution scattered throughout the 132 year old building. These days I'm lucky enough to still be in manufacturing...now its for the Navy...but you'll never see my stuff...which makes me sad. So...back to my original question before I got all distracted and nostalgic...Do any of you still make a product of some sort? Something that we can buy? Something that the rest of the world might want? I do so love hearing about how things are made.

I began repairing pool cues in 1993 when a guy at my friends pool room broke his cue. The point inlay in the handle came loose and speared hiis finger and left blood all over the table. As he stormed out he threw the cue on the bar and said anybody wants it can have it. My friend ,knowing that I liked to do woodworking, asked if I could fix it. I inlayed a new ebony point , refinished it to look like new.It seems that a lot of people mistreat thier cues, word got around the area and I was swamped with work. After about a year of repairing I started making cues, the first few I made helped to keep the bonfire stoked. It was painfull to see so many hours of work go up in flames. I've improved some over the years, made and sold about 60 cues. I did all the work an these cues, except for the second from the left. This one and two others I took to Vietnam,and had a guy there do the mother of pearl inlays of a dragon & phoenix, I don't have the talent to do this much inlay. The four on the left are finished ,the four on the right are still in progress.I see a lot of cues made overseas that are very inexpensive, I wondered how they can do all the points & inlays so cheaply, after closer inspection I found out that a lot of them are not inlays but decals on the wood with a finish over it. They look good till you get a scrape on the "inlay" from the table, then you have a piece of the decal missing. I've had people bring cheap cues to me to fix, it ends up costing them a lot more to fix than if they would bought a quality one in the first place. In America there are probably 300 custom cue makers that make a good product for a reasonable price considering how many hours it takes to build. And if you have a problem with his product you can call him, most will stand behind their work.

Attachments

• DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 425
Eventually our business went away because nobody wants to pay for an appliance that will run for 30 years anymore...they'll take a $99 air conditioner that will last a season or two before giving up the ghost. Manufacturers started asking for less longevity and less reliability for less cost.

this is what drives me absolutely nuts. :banghead

there are so many things that i would gladly pay triple for just to be able to get something that lasts instead of a total P.O.S.

i personally have not made anything since i printed my last brochure 15 or so years ago. and heck, i didn't even print it myself... i was the creative director that supervised its design and production.

nowadays, everything i produce is electronic, out in the ether. still good stuff and not cheap, but not real, you can't hold it in your hand, unless you're looking at it on your iPhone.... :ha

my dad, now, he built some things that were very *very* good and lasts a very long time... golf courses. he was the president of Robert Trent Jones' golf construction company. Let me tell you... I have played some unbelievable golf courses in my life....

36647.jpg

9084.jpg

Robert-T.Jones-Jr.-Palmares-Golf-Club-Portugal.jpg

ian

I'm like Hondarider...I used too

A couple of decades ago. I used to work for the last major US hydro-turbine manufacturer. Today, I do stuff for the defense industry.

You're quite a craftsman! I'm not blessed with that kind of vision or talent. I dig the big spoon.

IT geekery...

I am an IT consultant (specializing in a German software which also has a "three letter name"...). Have implemented and supported same worldwide. Am somewhat proud to have been selected for three expatriate assignments outside the US to do so, because they couldn't buy it done locally. American IT consultants are not quite endangered, but we are threatened. You have a choice about where you buy your IT consulting services. Hope it is close to home. Not a product you can hold in your hand, but it is of significant importance, and of substantial economic impact. My employer has spent north of 3 BILLION dollars on this particular global implementation since 2004.
:usa :german :thumb

Jim

1980 BMW R100RT
1968 BMW R50/2
1978 Yamaha SR500
1971 Rokon RT-140

I build bridges and roads

Here's one:

That's a "New England Bulb Tee" precast concrete beam being swung into position. Of course, we also build steel bridges, precast box beam type bridges, etc., as well as new concrete and blacktop roads, overlay type paving projects, traffic signals, paint striping, overhead signs, etc.

Harry

Attachments

• DOT 008.jpg
    DOT 008.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 198
Back