• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tommy Can YOu Hear Me? Loud Pipes

From years spent around aircraft (recip/jet) and competitive shooting (rifle/pistol) I have permanent ringing in my ears. The early ear protectors are nowhere as effective as the ones now available. I have gotten used to the "noise" over time and use foam ear plugs whenever the situation requires noise abatement. You cannot undo the damage but can avoid adding to your hearing loss/acuity. I often wonder about the hearing loss experienced by those riding in cars with 400watt + stereos with booming woofers. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I have to respond. This is all near and dear to me. I mix monitors for musicians who wear in ear monitors and I work in the live audio industry where noise levels are always at issue. People rarely pay attention to the damage to their hearing until it is a noticeable, uncomfortable and life altering condition.
If you want to invest money into custom molded products backed by a company that is one of the biggest promoters of H.E.A.R., a hearing conservation and awareness organization, my advice is to choose Future Sonics. Top of the line, custom ear monitor speakers based on your ear impressions that will allow bigger sound at lower volume. Also, their are different levels of custom molded hearing protection, up to -26bd, which allow full frequency hearing while attenuating the sound level. Superior products and advice. Their ATRIO brand universal fit earphones work on the same excellent fit premise, just without custom molds...and the sound is incredible. I wear them under my helmet and they fit perfect. This is not SPAM, this is just stuff I work around for a living and have formed my educated opinion.
Whatever product you choose, make sure it works, so you don't do more damage unknowingly!
Check them out: http://www.futuresonics.com

I have to respond. This is all near and dear to me. I mix monitors for musicians who wear in ear monitors and I work in the live audio industry where noise levels are always at issue. People rarely pay attention to the damage to their hearing until it is a noticeable, uncomfortable and life altering condition.
If you want to invest money into custom molded products backed by a company that is one of the biggest promoters of H.E.A.R., a hearing conservation and awareness organization, my advice is to choose Future Sonics. Top of the line, custom ear monitor speakers based on your ear impressions that will allow bigger sound at lower volume. Also, their are different levels of custom molded hearing protection, up to -26bd, which allow full frequency hearing while attenuating the sound level. Superior products and advice. Their ATRIO brand universal fit earphones work on the same excellent fit premise, just without custom molds...and the sound is incredible. I wear them under my helmet and they fit perfect. This is not SPAM, this is just stuff I work around for a living and have formed my educated opinion.
Whatever product you choose, make sure it works, so you don't do more damage unknowingly!
Check them out: http://www.futuresonics.com

++1 to that Asphalt! People spend tons of money on bikes, gear, trips, gas, and farkle. Investing in your ear health should be right up on that list!

P.S. why do concerts have to be so uncomfortably loud??

To drown out those singing along?

There can be a lot of reasons for that. Sometimes it can be the Front of House mixer who wants it that loud, sometimes it can be a production who thinks it HAS to be loud to get impact. But, if you have a real pro out front who knows what he is doing AND can educate the production on how the mix should be, he can create a BIG mix that makes you feel it and hear everything, but not cream you! It is a balance. There is a LOT of power in a concert PA, and hurting innocent listeners with it is, IMHO, irresponsible. That's just me, though.
Don't get me wrong, though. I'm kind of young and like things loud. All of the Rush tours I have seen lately are a good example of loud without making your ears ring when you walk away. Big and crunchy, but not an assault!

I was diagnosed with Meniere's desease many years ago. The symptoms are constant ringing in either one or both ears, major vertigo attacks, hearing loss, etc. Weather changes seemed to bring it on, ie.e quickly changing barometric pressures, either up or down. I have been to numerous ENTs, done clinical studies, etc. all they could tell me was to learn to live with the constant ringing and to take some ay vertigo drugs.

I did a lot of research on the web and found a study done in Japan that seemed to make a lot of sense to me. It stated that they found a correlation between Meniere's desease and the herpes Simplex virus, which is the one that causes Chicken Pox and Shingles. They found treating the patient with massive doses of Acylovir for 10-14 days helped consiederably with all symptoms. I talked to my ENT about it and he stated that since the testing was not done in North America, it could not be considered. I then went to my family doctor and discussed it. He checked out the study online and then contacted the doctors in Japan that had done the study.

About a month later, he called me back into his office and said that he would like to try the Acyclovir on me to see if it would help. we went over the side effects of Acyclovir and how it may affect me toherwise - basically no ills affects anticipated. After 14 days of 2000MG per day of Acyclovir, the only symptom I have left is the tinnitus in my right ear. It gets a little louder or softer depending on barometer changes. But no more vertigo, no more lost work or riding days due to vomitting up everything then laying in a darkend room for 12-18 hours. Basically been Meniere's free for 9 years now. Doctor says that if it comes back, we will try another round of the Acyclovir.

I have come to learn to live with the tinnitus and try to avoid places where there is a lot of loud or diverse noises, such as large restaurants that use that warehouse type atmosphere.

The fitted earplugs are great but don't wear them if you fly. They not only keep out sound but also the air pressure changes. I wouldn't want to try an EZ-Out on an earbud. The foam earbuds, such as Shure, do a good job of blocking sound while still allowing for pressure changes.

The fitted earplugs are great but don't wear them if you fly. They not only keep out sound but also the air pressure changes. I wouldn't want to try an EZ-Out on an earbud. The foam earbuds, such as Shure, do a good job of blocking sound while still allowing for pressure changes.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. That being said, thinking that a custom fitted ear mold can stop the body's reaction to an atmospheric pressure change is simply and outrageously wrong. I fly with my molds ALL THE TIME and take off and land (I know, they tell you to turn electronics off, but I keep my tiny iPod shuffle on) and I can take my "ears" out at will, any time I want. Do you realize the pressure that would be needed to keep something stuck in your ear!? Your head would be crushed like a can.
Please don't tell anyone that kind of thing anymore....:scratch

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way. That being said, thinking that a custom fitted ear mold can stop the body's reaction to an atmospheric pressure change is simply and outrageously wrong. I fly with my molds ALL THE TIME and take off and land (I know, they tell you to turn electronics off, but I keep my tiny iPod shuffle on) and I can take my "ears" out at will, any time I want. Do you realize the pressure that would be needed to keep something stuck in your ear!? Your head would be crushed like a can.
Please don't tell anyone that kind of thing anymore....:scratch

I speak from my own personal experience. I was exaggerating about the EZ-out( meant to be a joke), however, I found that I was constantly pulling down on the edge of the plug to break the pressure to improve my comfort. I went back to foam plugs after that. It's a similar discomfort to flying with clogged sinuses. Contribute your opinion, but don't scold, please. This is a forum for an exchange of ideas and experiences. I fly as a passenger and as an airline pilot. My plugs were just that, plugs with no wires or openings. I won't use form-fitted plugs when I fly. You do what you want.

Contribute your opinion, but don't scold, please. This is a forum for an exchange of ideas and experiences.

OK. I'll contibute my opinion. I didn't scold you. I was just pointing out that you're wrong.:whistle
When you pull down on your ear it opens your entire deep ear canal, regardless what's in your ear. That's me exchanging my experience with you.
Fly safe.:bolt

Back