• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Monterey California

soundshinedj

Hi Everyone,

It took me a little while, but I’m glad I made it here :) 51 years old, took me 5 years and 3 brands of bike to get to my R1250 GS. I’m a single dad, and my 5 kids are all grown and living on their own. I’m soon to be retired from one of my careers after 24 years now that it’s just me at home. Bought my 2022 exactly a year ago, with the idea of taking it down road(s) less traveled.

With young children and two jobs, my love of cycling had to take a back seat. It’s been a long time coming but I’m hoping to not just make up for lost time with bicycles, I’m hoping to incorporate the adventure that motorcycling is into my life.

I love my hometown and my state. I live minutes away from Laguna Seca, minutes away from Fort Ord National Monument, 4 hours from Mojave and 5 hours from the Sierras. One day last week I decided after work to ride the GS down the coast to Big Sur for dinner. I remind myself often I have nothing to complain about.

I hope to be an active member of MOA and the forums. I remember forums fondly. I was a member of MTBR and Road Bike Review forums early on. They helped me feel connected when I wasn’t doing what I’d rather be doing. Hopefully I’ll be active but not too active;-P

Anyway that’s it! Finally my 1st post after a year, but who’s counting?

Welcome to the forum!

I have never made it to Monterey but remember some wonderful imagery from Steinbeck's Book- Cannery Row.

Enjoy the forum.

Gary

I'll be down for Rennsport Reunion 7, a big Porsche event, in about 9 days. :D

We'll be in the Boxster. Seal Gray Metallic with blue Porsche decals on the doors. :wave

Welcome to the MOA family & the forum, Mr. DJ!

Good to hear that you’ve finally discovered the wonderful world of BMW Motorrad. They’ve come a long way since I bought my first Beemer in ’75 {which still gets used around northern Alabama}. If you’re pretty new on a gigantic dual-sport, you might seriously consider some professional coaching.
<<< https://rawhyde-offroad.com/trainings/california/ >>>

Then since you’re new here, use a Paul B. training grant to help fund your off-road or on-road training!
>>> https://bmwmoaf.org/rider-training/paul-b-grants/ <<<

That way your MOA membership is like an E-ticket to some practical & fun motorcycle coaching! :thumb

And finally, you’ll need to get your schedule sorted out so U can attend the 51st MOA International Rally in Oregon next June. We’ll C U there!
<<< https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/24rally >>>

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Welcome soundshinedj! Sounds like you're darn close to living the dream. Please help me live vicariously by posting a pic or two of the GS and/or the scenery.

Welcome soundshinedj! Sounds like you're darn close to living the dream. Please help me live vicariously by posting a pic or two of the GS and/or the scenery.

I'm not down in Monterey, but here's a GS in wine country from last weekend. I was out cruising around in the fog, headed to Costeaux Bakery in Healdsburg, CA. Grapes are getting ready for crush to start!

IMG_3579.jpg

I'm not down in Monterey, but here's a GS in wine country from last weekend. I was out cruising around in the fog, headed to Costeaux Bakery in Healdsburg, CA. Grapes are getting ready for crush to start!

View attachment 93067

Looks like someone else is living the dream as well. Actually, there are quite a few members who appear to be living the dream...

Back