• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dealership Tales- You Can Order It? So Can I!

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
For your consideration…….

Courtesy of Harvey Mushman via ADV e-mail blast-
points if you know who Harvey Mushman is- without looking it up :)

I have had the most interesting interactions at my local dealerships this summer. On multiple occasions, the employees behind the parts counter have told me that they can order in the parts I need. The words are spoken with aplomb; they assure me that I must only wait another half a week, or a week at most, for the parts to arrive.

How interesting. And, how silly. Because if they can order parts in, so can I, and it is much easier and often less expensive for me to do so.

I feel that we are arriving a make-or-break point for many dealerships and repair shops where the owners and management must ask themselves “What are we doing here? What are we good for?”. Their customers are certainly asking these questions about them.

The Internet has disrupted the traditional dealership model. For years, many parts, even aftermarket parts, were only available through dealerships. The dealership was also the only place you could buy a brand-new motorcycle and often the easiest place to buy a second-hand motorcycle.

None of this is true anymore. While the dealership sales model for new bikes is protected by law in many jurisdictions, it is not protected everywhere. During COVID-19, most OEMs figured out some temporary means to sell bikes outside of brick-and-mortar dealers. Even before that, smaller distributors figured out how to sell bikes (mostly Chinese machines) direct-to-consumer. CSC is a well-known, long-established example in the US, but other countries have equivalents. And of course, you can easily buy a used motorcycle outside of the dealership chain.

As for the parts desk question, this has been completely revolutionized. Many online retailers now offer direct-to-your-door shipping for factory parts. It is true that not every country has OEM parts available directly to consumers. At least, they are not always easily found outside the dealership chain. But even in those cases, generic parts such as grips, luggage, batteries, wheel bearings, tires or even many electronic components are easily found through Amazon or other simple-to-use websites. When you do so, the parts are shipped to you, the buyer, with no 15-minute drive to your local parts counter, no wait in line at the desk, no waiting for a bumbling and inexperienced staffer to fumble through distributors’ catalogs to find the aftermarket parts you want. Shopping online is easier and often cheaper when compared to shopping local.

Nevertheless, many of us like to shop local and keep our neighbors employed. In my case, I have friends employed at local dealerships. I try to give them my business when I can. We’re told that this is a smart thing to do, because when we need parts right away, the Internet can’t deliver, but our local dealership can. There is some logic to that argument, so I try to buy what I can locally, even if it costs a bit more time and money.

But this summer, I do not remember a single instance where a local dealer had the parts I wanted in-stock. I am not talking about complicated and expensive OEM parts. I was looking for wheel bearings or generic brake pads. This items used to be the bread-and-butter of big dealers and small. A smart, capable counter-man would have this sort of thing on-hand, and order when he ran low, especially if it was a consumable off a model that the dealership sold. Your local Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer always had 17-inch tubes in stock, for instance, as KLR650 and DR650 riders would need them. Or your local Honda dealer would always have a set of front wheel bearings for a CRF250L, and so on.

Not anymore. Now, you get the canned reply: “I don’t have it, but I can order it in for you, and it’ll be here next week.”

Well, sir, I can order it to, and it will be less expensive and delivered to my door. And that does not bode well for your own long-term employment, because once I start buying my parts elsewhere, I may also start doing my motorcycle shopping elsewhere. There are certainly other places I can take my motorcycle for servicing as well.

I’ve had other irksome interactions over past months, including one salesman who refused to answer his phone or reply to emails when asked about a machine he had listed on his website. When I went to visit the shop in person, he practically pounced on me, asking if he could help me. He was quite taken aback when I informed him that no, he could not—he had already missed multiple chances to do so, and I would not give him another. There are plenty of other places to buy a motorcycle, and he had missed both his first shot and the rebound.

This may all sound like one massive gripe, and perhaps it is. However, I do not wish dealerships ill; I wish them success. But as Oscar Wilde said, “Success is a science; if you have the conditions, you get the result.” If local dealerships do not take the steps necessary to offer excellent customer service, such as providing the in-stock parts that they claim are their very raison d’être, then people will quickly lose interest in shopping there. Once the public perceives you, rightly or wrongly, as an incompetent middleman whose only function is to jack up pricing, then they will do their best to find a lower-cost workaround. To avoid that, dealerships need to have a top-down examination of what their actual function is to customers, and start doing it well, lest they become irrelevant.

OM

The truth, the whole truth... and nothing but the truth.

Motorrad Dealership nearest me actually has the big parts catalogs on a round pub table to browse... across from the parts counter!

Sure makes it easy to come home, create account AND save 10-20% on first order. Business these days are a mystery to me.

I usually give my local dealer a chance. I let him know what the part will cost and if he can at least come close we have a deal.

This is nothing new. Before getting my 1988 R100 RT, I had a Honda 750 Nighthawk. This was around 2004. The local dealer (a multi-brand one with 3-4 brands if I remember correctly) required you to go to the parts department and order the parts first for your service. Once the parts came in, you could schedule service. That included basic service. It was not the most convenient, but I'm sure it was less expensive for the dealer.

Without looking it up.....

Harvey Mushman = Steve McQueen

What did I win? :clap

Too easy! :ha In this instance Mr Mushman is an inmate named Tim (I think) and he lives in Athens GA (or used to… it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen him).

Re his post, in general this is a channel management problem. It’s been my experience that national distributors in the Powersports industry lack both vision and a passion for riding. Lots of moving parts to get product to customers and the industry lacks the innovation to manage them. That’s why the Internet was so disruptive… I can tell you that Anthony Bucci (REVZilla) saw this coming a mile away.

I wish there was an easy solution to all this. I used to have service/suppliers that I could rely on for parts, tires, service and related, not so much anymore. It seems each problem feeds on itself between the customer, dealer and internet. Add to that fact that people have lost the ability to make apples to apples comparisons on purchases, so here we are.

OM

I am glad that I am no longer in the retail Brick & Mortar Powersports Business.

The internet has totally changed the game and significantly affected the bottom line.

Back in the day - twenty years ago - we stocked, and replenished, all parts (and generally accessories) that we sold three of in the previous six months. Clothing and other gear were purchased seasonally to obtain the best prices from distributors/manufacturers.

I can understand a dealer's reluctance to stock inventory that does not turn, but I also recognize that you can't sell what you don't stock, and I am guilty of ordering online when it is not in stock locally to avoid a second trip to pick it up.

The other issue I see is that when a mega-seller orders from a manufacturer or distributor for stock they get a much better price than the small mom-and-pop shop does, the mom and pop therefore have to charge more to make a profit.

I recently bought a set of tires from a local dealership, the distributor's invoice was inadvertently left inside one of the tires, and the distributor charged the dealership almost as much as I could have bought the same tire from on the internet from several large vendors. It costs the seller about 20% to handle the item he sells, if there is not 30% margin in the sale then he is losing money.

Having a showroom full of riding gear certainly results in some sales, but to stock one of every color, of every size, of every model, of gear that becomes stale in six months is not practical. The showroom becomes a "Try On Room" for the Internet Customer.

I don't know what the answer is - perhaps the industry (manufacturers & distributors) is/are going to have to adopt some sort of a "drop ship" model to keep the dealerships in business.

You can always thank your local government for less stock . Annual taxes on inventory . Government always has a hand out to take from everyone .
I watched our shop in 1998 throw away good motorcycle parts that were a decade old to avoid the county taxes on them .
The current company I work with acquired us during Covid 19 and shortly after disposed of over 1,000,000 in inventory into the recycle , and dumpsters ordered at our shop .

I am very fortunate to have an excellent dealer near me. The parts guys are great and always very helpful. I have ordered several parts from them, but the issue is that it's about a 30 mile round trip for me to get there and back. While that's not a long distance, it's an inconvenience to go to the dealer, order the part, then go back and pick it up. I really wish they could drop ship items to my house so I wouldn't have to go pick them up. Especially given that I work from home and I'm always here to accept packages.

Given that the internet has changed the game, dealerships have to modernize and change their business models to compete. I'd much rather buy a part or a motorcycle from someone local who will be there to help me if needed, even if that means I pay a little more (granted...I don't want to get taken advantage of). I understand dealers have overhead....lots of overhead. That has to be accounted for.

One of the things my local dealer does to build affinity with customers is to sponsor rides and events. They also provided discounted pricing to the BMW Performance Center. They understand that riding isn't just about the bike, it's also about the community and the camaraderie of other passionate riders.

Has

Has anyone who gets peeved at their dealership not having items in stock at hand ever owned a shop? Just today I was having coffee at my local one man shop and he was telling me about one of his customers brought up the question of how much stock he had on hand and what the amount of money involved in is. The customer was shocked at the above $20,000 price for just ONE revolving bin shelf. This is a shop that only works on 50's to 95 airheads.

I can't fathom the cost involved at a dealership even attempting to have a quarter of the parts needed for the K, R, F, and so forth bikes they work on. There is just so much room and so much money available.

I try to buy first from my friend and if he doesn't have it in stock, I am happy to wait for him to get it. I am not in such a big rush nor do I have so much "busy" I can't take time to help him stay viable. St.

So one of my bikes is an Oilhead and of course it's electrical wiring is biodegrading.

Had my dealer order a new handlebar switch unit. This for a 20 year old bike. One left in world, in Germany. Ordered on Saturday, had it the next Thursday.

Friends and I de-ABSed an old R1200C. This from the early generation when ABS was optional and basically added on to the non ABS system. So, parts manual shows a small loop of metal brake line that connects where two long brake lines from the pump connect at the steering head to activate front brakes. Had to come from Germany. Don't remember how long it took, but it wasn't long. A part never needed save for an operation like ours. That little part all it took to remove ABS from front brakes.

So when you're on screen ordering parts, you're not going to get any information as to availability and location of parts. No dialog between you and the parts person. I bet you won't get parts from Germany in 4 business days.

I imagine it still works like this ...

... for dealers ordering from BMW, there are two kinds of orders
stock orders
special orders

maybe three ...
vehicle off road (VOR)

I suspect your Internet order basically helps the dealer increase the size of its weekly stock order, which results in a nicer discount for them. Part of the cheaper freight order. Stock orders are filled more slowly at the warehouse.

Somebody post how they got a vehicle off road quick shipped part by typing at a website.

All I wanted was a barrel adjuster, just one barrel adjuster...

I recently bought an SV650 for a track bike to compliment my 04RT. I discovered the clutch cable barrel adjuster broken in the lever perch. I figured I could find it no problem locally so I hopped on my bike, went to 2 brick & mortar dealers who specialize in dirt bikes -surely they'd have one, right? Nope. "No, we don't carry those" I asked, "Really?" "no but I can order it for you" "no thanks, but I appreciate your help". That's when I noticed the Buell 1190R on the floor & took a minute to check it out. I'd really like to own one of those bikes but I know better. Anyway, hopped on the RT & went to the next dealer because certainly, they'd have one. Nope -same story. Geez Louise!!

Ok, I regroup & head back to my office & make a call to the semi local Kawasaki dealer. I get the parts kid on the line & ask for a barrel adjuster: "A what?" "you know, that round thing with slots in it you spin to adjust a clutch cable" "ummmm... I... well, I'm not sure. Hold on a minute" "Cool" "Sir? What model bike is it for?" "Well, it's actually for an SV650 but it's really kind of a universal part" "Oh... ok... just a minute" "Sir? Hi, we don't sell parts for Suzuki, we're a Kawasaki dealer so we don't have it" " (stunned silence for a moment) " "sir?" "yeah -it's kind of a universal part, I'm sure if you... you know what? never mind. Have a good afternoon"

5 minutes later I had a 5 pack ordered online that showed up in two days.

I get that the days for dealers has changed but look, the only certainty we have in life is change. Dealers can regroup & strategize to cope with that change & succeed in am ever evolving world or they can stagnate & die. It really comes down to being able to evolve & it seems the vast majority of motorsports dealers are content to pine for what was & die a slow death of stagnation rather than coming up with ways to innovate in an ever changing market. Pretty universal rule, really. Evolve or die.

Along those lines……
It seems that there has been a shift in knowledge regarding looking up parts. It used to be a mechanic, or at least someone with mechanical experience, that evolved into being a Parts Guy. The same evolution used to be the same for a Service Manager……..NOT a service writer.

When I go for a Group 31 battery, the comment should be terminal location- not “what does it fit”.

OM

I walk the line...

Great post OM.

As someone with limited technical skill who chooses to ride a semi vintage ['01] bike based on tastes and available budgets [paying for college is fun] I find myself desirous of a strong "local" dealer network for parts and service (for me this is about 50 miles, even in a major metropolis, but I'm lucky to have 2-3 major shops to deal with in that region). I can and seek to engage in only so much service work myself, so healthy service depts are vital. So what about parts then?

My experience has been that I'm lucky to have one nearby with the ability to deliver seemingly every OEM part to my door in a solid timeframe. Yes I pay more, but I know that I'm getting the right part, new in box, oem stock. This is all of great value to me. And it typically shows up in a good timeframe. When I call they are knowledgeable and helpful. Could I likely find the part cheaper, and get delivered faster? Yes on the former and perhaps on the latter, but again, need good shops on the landscape, so...

These guys even have a pretty strong online presence in terms of having a searchable site/database where I can either find or paste in the part no. and hit order [honestly when I generically Google the parts number their site usually comes up among the top results, so they are also doing well in terms of digital marketing]. Again, phone calls are usually answered acceptably quickly and handled correctly.

I'm always scouring CL and Forums for things I need but to me, these guys have it whipped. Build a dynamic online and brick and mortar business and people will be willing to pay more to get what they need.

Color me lucky. :wave

Ok, I regroup & head back to my office & make a call to the semi local Kawasaki dealer. I get the parts kid on the line & ask for a barrel adjuster: "A what?" "you know, that round thing with slots in it you spin to adjust a clutch cable" "ummmm... I... well, I'm not sure. Hold on a minute" "Cool" "Sir? What model bike is it for?" "Well, it's actually for an SV650 but it's really kind of a universal part" "Oh... ok... just a minute" "Sir? Hi, we don't sell parts for Suzuki, we're a Kawasaki dealer so we don't have it" " (stunned silence for a moment) " "sir?" "yeah -it's kind of a universal part, I'm sure if you... you know what? never mind. Have a good afternoon."

Interesting post, but not surprising. I've had a similar experience....

Two years ago I came home from a ride. While wiping down the bike in the garage I noticed a screw firmly embedded in the back tire. Damn. There's a Kawasaki dealership about 3 km away from my house so, it being a Saturday afternoon, I removed the back wheel, threw it in the trunk of the car and drove over to get the tire plugged. Now, I've been doing business with these folks for years as I once owned a ZX-11 plus I get along really well with the owner and staff. I continue to buy sundrie items from them and have had them replace a chain on a Ducati.
So I walk into the service department, explain to the new service manager that I've got a screw in my tire and ask if he can plug it.
He asks...
"What kind of bike is it on ?"
"It's a BMW but I've got the wheel in the trunk and I just need it plugged."

"We don't work on BMWs."
"I understand that but the wheel is off and I just need it plugged."

"We don't work on BMWs."

With that I turned on my heel and left before my head exploded. I was actually incredulous. Upon my arrival back home I phoned the owner to recount my experience. He told me that one of his parts guys had already told him what had occurred and he apologised profusely. I suggested that the behaviour I witnessed is a great way to lose customers.

I haven't been back to that shop since.

Interesting post, but not surprising. I've had a similar experience....

Two years ago I came home from a ride. While wiping down the bike in the garage I noticed a screw firmly embedded in the back tire. Damn. There's a Kawasaki dealership about 3 km away from my house so, it being a Saturday afternoon, I removed the back wheel, threw it in the trunk of the car and drove over to get the tire plugged. Now, I've been doing business with these folks for years as I once owned a ZX-11 plus I get along really well with the owner and staff. I continue to buy sundrie items from them and have had them replace a chain on a Ducati.
So I walk into the service department, explain to the new service manager that I've got a screw in my tire and ask if he can plug it.
He asks...
"What kind of bike is it on ?"
"It's a BMW but I've got the wheel in the trunk and I just need it plugged."

"We don't work on BMWs."
"I understand that but the wheel is off and I just need it plugged."

"We don't work on BMWs."

With that I turned on my heel and left before my head exploded. I was actually incredulous. Upon my arrival back home I phoned the owner to recount my experience. He told me that one of his parts guys had already told him what had occurred and he apologised profusely. I suggested that the behaviour I witnessed is a great way to lose customers.

I haven't been back to that shop since.

“Yeah but I have a Kawasaki tire and need a Kawasaki plug”. :hungover

OM

Employees

In the case of the Kawasaki dealership not fixing a BMW tire. At least the owner apologized that is a good thing. As employers or store owners we cannot see what our employees are doing when out of sight and sound. LOL, even in the age of cameras, not too many dealers have a guy watching the camera and every employee full time.

So, yeah a dip nut service manager can cause a whole lot of issues for the shop. More than a few times I found myself apologizing and performing damage control to keep a customer who was put out by an employee. Most of the time luckily I retained the customer but was aggravated to see the lost ones.

As for dealing with the employee, well that depends upon their attitude. Sometimes the issue was pure lack of knowledge on their part, I had not clarified a policy or the employee didn't understand. Sometimes the employee gets a talking to and remains, other times gone!

Now if the owner had persisted on what I feel is kind of dumb ass behavior and offered no apology, at that point I would write him off. LOL, I like the "it needs a Kawasaki plug". St.

Nothing new there.

I have ordered BMW parts from Competition Accessories in Xenia, OH way back in the early 90s and then thereafter when they moved years later to Springfield, OH. I even took in the Wright-Patterson Aircraft Museum when I drove by once on my way to Oshkosh. A win-win!

Also Hammersley BMW, Bob's BMW, Beemer Boneyard and Euro Moto Electrics.

In my case it was to save money because even after currency exchange and sometimes as high as 58%, I still saved $$$ even on a small order.

Same for my car parts. And in most cases, free shipping to my UPS Store stateside for pick-up.

Up here, dealers were charging 10% to 25% over MSRP prices in the factory price list. I think they wised-up since then. And years ago, the local BMW dealer also charged a shipping charge.

Back