• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

almost $30K bike, 2 years old, fails to start

The ‘net is filled with stories of vehicle problems that don’t show up inside of a dealership’s garage.
And of warranty refusals for big money items.

In the grand scheme of things, this is relatively minor and you may just be the victim of bad luck (the battery) or bad timing (the problem not happening at the dealership). Either way, be glad it’s an easily replaceable, not that expensive item and just replace the thing on your own. 3X to the dealership spending your time, being without the bike, and aggravation or annoyance isn’t worth another trip there so just suck it up and buy a battery and ride the riding season that’s in front of you.

I didn’t go through all 40 pages of that thread, only the first few. But it reminds me of the hot start issue on the K1300 bikes. However, I recall it being more consistent on those- once hot, the issue was common, not sporadic. The fix involved a new starter relay and replacing the wiring to starter and relay with heavier gauge cables. There was a campaign on those bikes.
Maybe something similar on the 1250s?

Best,
DeVern
Thanks, I sent that to them and that was.a.diffent bike. I could have sworn it had same engine, but what do I know! They kept and rode bike an extra day and couldn't get it to fail. I rode gas, 2.6 miles, it failed. They came, battery failed test and they installed new battery and off I went. I'm not sure I'm fixed as I'm a fairly sure what that article describes is what is happening! Thanks for help!

I've had 2 RT's now, 2014 and '17 presently. Ditto on the charging system reply and mine last about 2.5 years with daily/weekly driving. I also put the bike on a trickle charger every time I park it. I have read that will "prolong" the life of your battery.

Back