• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

almost $30K bike, 2 years old, fails to start

pat8635

Edit: dealer couldn't duplicate. I died on my going there and when I left went for fuel and it wouldn't start. Battery instantly failed test and they finally put in a new battery.

I am still a little worried that it is the compression issue, but I will see!

Thanks again for the help. I knew i could just buy a battery, but after the dealership promoshed to move my clearwater lights over and failed. They got me the parts and i did work. The sales person wanted to trailer to his house for a week and do it since shop wouldn't... he is now GM that never returned my calls! We need another dealer in san antonio!

I have a 2022 r1250 RT. I have posted before but am to angry to search for it. I have been stranded on a ferry, gas station, parking lots and gas station. I have to carry a starting block with me. I have a 1988 accord that the starting block was for, and it is on my 2022 BMW!

I have been to the dealer at least 3 times over the last 18 months. Because bike always starts for them they refuse to help me. I offered them pages of people that have had this issue fixed by dealer replacing battery.

They tell me they can't help because they can't duplicate it.

I guess this is good bye BMW. I can't keep allowing time to take side panel off and jump it. It always starts at first, only when warmed up. Unfortunatly there is only one BMW dealer in San Antonio.

Last edited:
Put a battery in it. There is really too much expected of these small bike batteries. Battery warranty is only 2 years so perhaps you are at the end of that?
The hardest part is deciding which battery to buy for a replacement. I find it a bit of a crap shoot as to how long the next battery will last. For me, if I get 3.5 years out of a battery, I’m happy.
Put a battery in it. Relieve your anguish. Enjoy the ride.
OM
BTW, it happens a lot-

Paul, I believe he is referring to one of those rechargeable lithium ion battery blocks that you can use to jumpstart your vehicle. ;)

A bike is no different from any other consumer grade mechanical device. Things are going to fail and need replacement. Learn to do it yourself and avoid the pain and cost of having to rely on the dealership.

Batteries for most bikes are both relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. eBay has agm batteries for this bike as low as 40 bucks, with free shipping. Change it out and be happy!

Paul, I believe he is referring to one of those rechargeable lithium ion battery blocks that you can use to jumpstart your vehicle. ;)
If that is the case then I see two possible causes for his starting issue. One of course is a defective battery. The second possibility is a marginal connection between one of the battery cables and the actual connecting surface on the battery often in automotive terms called the battery post. High resistance between the battery and the cable can cause starting issues. This can often be temperature sensitive too. But affixing the clamps from the jumper to the exterior of the cable connection bypasses the high resistance at the battery and the bike may easily start.

My first, simple, step would be to take apart and thoroughly clean the connection surfaces where the cables attach to the battery. I would of course then make sure the connections were properly tightened. If this fails I would firmly suspect a failing battery. I wonder if it has been properly load tested??

Is the bike actually charging the battery? You should check the voltage of the battery with the bike off and then check it again with the bike running. If the voltage is less with the bike running - it’s your charging system. If the voltage is the same or higher, it’s probably your battery. It’s a good first step, super easy, and outside of a multimeter, no special tools.

Call BMW Mottorad directly and discuss the problem. With a 3 year USA warranty, the battery should be replaced! Do you ALWAYS use a battery tender when parked?

One last note: the battery shown in my previous post was just removed to be replaced with a Yusa AGM battery. It's been on a charger and is ready to go in the bike. The one you see shown was installed 6-6-19, the bike is a 2015 RTW. Roughly 4 1/2 years service on a motorcycle battery is a good haul. I think it's entirely possible that had I not run into health issues keeping me from riding as much as I used to - includes four months the bike didn't move from the garage, sitting on a trickle charger - is the reason the battery gave up.

I've always used AGM batteries when it was time for a replacement in all my bikes, since AGM batteries came on the scene and never had one that didn't meet my expectations for time in service.

I have been to the dealer at least 3 times over the last 18 months. Because bike always starts for them they refuse to help me
Did they load test the battery? They have a small hand held load tester that only takes a few minutes to check the battery.

With a 3 year USA warranty, the battery should be replaced!
We had the battery replaced on both of our 2016 R1200RSs when they were just under 2 years old. They failed the load test and were covered by warranty.
The service manager said the battery is warrantied for 2 years.

OEM batteries on bikes and cars are cheap garbage and if one gets two years out of one, you’re lucky. I am on a third battery on my 2018 GSA and it is a lithium battery this time after two AGM’s. 15 months in and so far so good. IMHO the wet-head bikes were setup for these as the charging voltage is 14.3v which is ideal for lithium batteries and may be too much for AGM’s. Just my 0.02 cts, YMMV

I always wish a poster would return with more information so it can/might be determined if a post like this was-
A rant against a specific dealer.
A complete misunderstanding of the actual problem.
Actually hates the bike and this is another thorn in the overall satisfaction with the bike.
Decided he hates BMW.
What testing has been done along with the timeline- I can’t picture this has been going on starting 18 months ago?
OR- an effort to solicit help from the wealth of mechanically savvy members we have here on the forum.
Hopefully the OP returns to fill in some of the many blanks in the described situation.
OM

Have you, in fact, replaced the battery?

I’ve been let down by BMW OEM batteries enough (3ish times?) that I don’t bother with that route anymore. Warranty or not, it’s worth $120 to me to just solve the problem.

R1250GS Starting problems​

I didn’t go through all 40 pages of that thread, only the first few. But it reminds me of the hot start issue on the K1300 bikes. However, I recall it being more consistent on those- once hot, the issue was common, not sporadic. The fix involved a new starter relay and replacing the wiring to starter and relay with heavier gauge cables. There was a campaign on those bikes.
Maybe something similar on the 1250s?

Best,
DeVern

I didn’t go through all 40 pages of that thread, only the first few. But it reminds me of the hot start issue on the K1300 bikes. However, I recall it being more consistent on those- once hot, the issue was common, not sporadic. The fix involved a new starter relay and replacing the wiring to starter and relay with heavier gauge cables. There was a campaign on those bikes.
Maybe something similar on the 1250s?

Best,
DeVern
I went through looking for just posts by the OP. The solution is on post 77(page 4).

Back