• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tommy Can YOu Hear Me? Loud Pipes

25 years as an infantry guy converting your tax dollars into loud noises and smoke; my hearing was tested and found to be very good. Just lucky I guess.

Worked with a still young Vietnam vet many years back who was a tank driver...he always was holding his hand to his ear and saying "WHAT?"... He said Army headsets didn't do it for him.

As a kid I had lots of ear problems, nothing really helped. As I grew older the stopped. As an adult I worked in manufacturing- lots of noise there. They required everyone to be tested (they had there own audiologist on site) I started to show some loss and wore ear plugs faithfully. Next year more loss. I am not deaf but somtimes I just can't hear the wife complaining:whistle I have always had the ring. Some days it is worse.

A few years ago I was having a had time funtioning at school and work. My Dr. sugested Adderal (for ADD). About four days into taking it the ringing stopped completly. For the first time the silence did not sound like a screaming knife in my ear!!! I inquired later about how the ringing stopped. He said "one of the things Adderal does is it increases blood flow and posibly the increased blood flow to you inner ear has stopped the ringing. I don't take the Adderal any more. I have ringing again.

What? I didn't hear you.

I wish I had never read this post. Now my ears are ringing.

Actually, they always ring. I too looked for a solution and got the 'get used to it' speech. So I have, the best I can. As an old sonar tech I prided my hearing sensitivity, but that was then.....

I do think there is a relationship to certain medications such as straight aspirin. And yes, sinuitus may play a big part as well as past history, infections, "air-hammer" (like the 'pop' your ear defensive move).

My tinnitus never goes away, I just forget about it from time to time.

Welcome to the club, I'm sorry you joined us

Just spent north of $5K on hearing aids. I'll fill you in.

USN, Machinist Mate in a steam engine room from 18 - 21. Then I worked in a aluminum can factory then a power plant. No ear protection in the Navy, better at the factory and the power plant. Got out of the Navy with noticeable loss in the higher frequencies. Permanent nerve damage.

Now I've used typical construction/home gear like chainsaws, skilsaws, lawn mowers etc. Most of that time without ear protection until about 15 years ago, by then the horse was well and truly out of the barn.

Fast forward to a month ago, finally went to the ENT and had an audiogram. I have 'moderate' hearing loss. Meaning that I can't hear very well.

Tinnitus is the name for the ringing/buzzing in your ears, mine is horrible. Really really horrible.

I had to adjust music to drop the bass (I hear the lower frequencies) and raise the treble.

Now the good news.

Hearing aids are the bomb. I can hear things I haven't heard in years. I can hear the keyboard when I type, I can hear birds, I can understand the TV without cranking the volume up to Woodstock levels. I can hear my wife's voice (although this is a mixed thing :brad) and the tinnitus is reduced. The aids are digital and programed to elevate the frequencies I was missing and having the input helps the brain filter out the ringing.

I can enjoy music in a way that I haven't for a long time.

It is like the first time I put on glasses when I was a kid. HOLY CRAP!!!

My hearing will continue to get worse as I age, I'm doing all those things I should have done to protect my hearing so the decline will be from age and not from my own stupidity.

All that being said I have some suggestions for dealing with the tinnitus. When you're trying to sleep having a fan or other white noise source will help drown out the ringing. Minimize your use of NSAIDS like aspirin and the like, they really exacerbate the ringing. Careful with use of some narcotics like Vicodin (ask Rush Limbaugh) because they can seriously damage the hearing.

And I'd get a new ENT, that guy sounds like a jerk. You should have been given info on tinnitus and some coping mechanisms.

Good luck

Some anti-anxiety meds help control the ringing. Ask your doc.

Of course it is "off label" use.

I wish I had never read this post. Now my ears are ringing.

Actually, they always ring. I too looked for a solution and got the 'get used to it' speech. So I have, the best I can. As an old sonar tech I prided my hearing sensitivity, but that was then.....

My tinnitus never goes away, I just forget about it from time to time.

Me too. Too loud of 8 track tape players, too much jackhammering the inside of steel tanks and whatever. I can not hear a watch tick or crickets chirp with my left ear. My grand daughter's voice is so high that it is hard for me to understand her at times. I have to have carpet on the floor in order to hear the TV and don't give me a move with an English accent, might as well be Chinese.

I can hear music with both ears and I can hear a car door close from my living room with all the house doors closed.

I usually forget about the right ear ringing, left doesn't ring so much. I do sleep with a fan running. I have to have that slight noise that doesn't change.

Ain't getting old fun?

Ralph Sims

What Glen says is bang on.

I also have a bi-lateral high frequency loss and constant ringing tinnitus. Mine is also work related (major exposure to gunfire and explosions during my younger days). Back then while operating, we didn't have hearing protection. During training we did but it doesn't compare with the high-speed products on the market now.

Both my audiologist and ENT explained that genetics is always a factor in hearing loss. Some people will be affected to a greater degree than others based on both the level of exposure and their predisposition to hearing loss.

The biggest thing with hearing loss is that it is often insidious and creeps up on you in incremental levels.

The best way of preventing it is proper protection. Whenever I am exposed to ANY level of noise (lawnmowers, snow blowers, riding, etc) I always wear custom molded ear plugs. When exposed to loud levels of noise (e.g. shooting) I wear good hearing protection (Peltors with built-in active hearing) AND ear plugs.

Don't forget that loud noise can also reach your inner ear thru openings in your nose, mouth and is also conducted thru bones, cartilage, etc in your head.

Call it what you will, tinnitus, buzzing or ringing, it is something that probably won't go away. As much as this sucks you learn to live with it. Like others have said, after a while you actually ignore it unless you consciously think about it. Kind of like sitting in front of your computer. You don't notice the pressure of the chair on your butt unless you think about it.

+1 on the hearing aids. I wear one so that I don't miss what others are saying around me. New devices are not like your grandfathers hearing aids and some are micro sized and are almost invisible.

Best of luck to you and the rest of us boomers who are in the same boat.

Bill

I've had tinnitus since my late 20's (10-15 years). For me it was concerts and bar hopping. I only ride with some sort of ear plugs. I use foam, but also have custom ear plugs (with and w/o ear phones). When I listen to music while riding, I set the volume before leaving, and do not adjust higher. There are a few times I have difficulty hearing the music due to other noises, but I figure it's better than blasting the music too high.

I would recommend everyone to go to an ENT and get your hearing tested. If anything, it provides a basis for going forward.

Thanks for all the wondeful responses, it really helps to know I'm not the only one here, AND that there is a solution! Forget about it!

So today, fathers day, as I set in this San Francisco B&B waiting on my family too join me, I will spend this day enjoying what is here, and forgetting about the ear!

Happy Fathers Day to all fathers out there!

Red

I'm a year older than you Redclfco, and have had similar problems for many years, so welcome to the club. Between broken ear drums as a kid, genetics, loud music, gunshots, chainsaws and ongoing noise from motorcycles, it's added up.

Everyone with hearing problems has their own stories to tell. About once per month, a terribly loud humming will occur in one or the other of my ears, and the hearing in that ear will decrease by up to 80 percent, then come back the next day with loud tinnitus that lasts for several more days before disappearing. Between these episodes, there will be daily ringing and buzzing that I mostly just ignore. Fortunately, it's not constant and not loud, but there was a two-year period in my 30s when it never, ever went away, and yeah, it drove me slightly bonkers. Tinnitus does change or decrease (or, um, get worse) over time for many people.

Quite honestly, there's the equivalent of a grieving process associated with these new sorts of permanent physiological problems, and like any kind of grief, it eventually subsides as you get used to them. Life goes on. The joy is still there, despite the losses or the annoyances. It's just a matter of accepting it, getting used to it, making the best of it, sitting it aside and getting on with things, but it does take some time.

As for music, a good equalizer can help make up for those tonal frequencies that you're weak in. Those around you won't hear the music right, but you will. There's even some advantages to hearing loss: for example, you can always pretend that you didn't hear what you didn't want to hear, and people actually buy it. ;-)

Oh yeah, ear plugs, don't leave home on your bike without them.

Chewable relief?

I heard an ad on the radio that made me think of you guys. The product is called "Quietus" or something like that. It is advertised as chewable relief from Tinnitus. They are giving away free samples if you call their 800 number. 800-673-2614.
I can't vouch for the product, just thought you might be interested in the information.
-Marty

I heard an ad on the radio that made me think of you guys. The product is called "Quietus" or something like that. It is advertised as chewable relief from Tinnitus. They are giving away free samples if you call their 800 number. 800-673-2614.
I can't vouch for the product, just thought you might be interested in the information.
-Marty

I am on the line holding "for one of the represenatives"to pick up the phone...using my good ear:laugh

Thanks for the tip, will report back when I hear somthin :laugh

www.quietrelief.com

Last edited:
For more than 2 decades I have had a significant hearing loss and constant tinnitus (ringing in the ears). This was from exposure to cannon (loud 105mm booms from tanks) and having a siren that was less than 6' from my head with nothing but a helmet in between. No, ear plugs are not an option in that job while riding,

In short I have a 35% loss on one side and a 40% loss in the other side almost all of which are the high frequency sounds. That is typical for loud noise and explosion exposure. I lose conversations if there is a significant amount of noise in the area. like a restaraunt and movie sound tracks are a stone beeotch to try and hear the actors while there are other things like music or major sounds in the sound track.

The tinnitus is constant but you DO get used to it. You hear it now as you are paying attention to it and it's new to you. That will pass. Eventually it will fade to a "background" noise that you won't pay attention to unless it's quiet or you are trying to listen hard. Tinnitus will not be affected by ear plugs or muffs. The sound is generated in the ear itself because of nerve damage to the ear and cilia that change sound waves to electrical impulses that the brain decodes as sound.

There is another factor to consider. You had an ear infection. You may be prone to something similar to Meniere's disease. That is a sudden onset of vertigo. Think a really bad case of the "whirlies" followed by nausea since it is similar to sea sickness when your inner ear gets screwed up. Stay on top of your antihistamines as that will go a long way to keeping this at bay. This is especially true if you are prone to wax build up in the ears. There is no cure for it. You learn to feel an attack coming on and pull the bike over if you are on it. As time goes on the sensations fade a bit but do not go away. It also is not constant so you can be fine one day and dizzy the next. I notice it most when I lay down facing up. I can also feel it if I am working on a car on the lift when I turn my head to face up. I have an idea I won't like roller coasters or other energetic rides like I used to as well.

Good luck. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative, there is no riding while taking a dirt nap.

For more than 2 decades I have had a significant hearing loss and constant tinnitus (ringing in the ears). This was from exposure to cannon (loud 105mm booms from tanks) and having a siren that was less than 6' from my head with nothing but a helmet in between. No, ear plugs are not an option in that job while riding,

In short I have a 35% loss on one side and a 40% loss in the other side almost all of which are the high frequency sounds. That is typical for loud noise and explosion exposure. I lose conversations if there is a significant amount of noise in the area. like a restaraunt and movie sound tracks are a stone beeotch to try and hear the actors while there are other things like music or major sounds in the sound track.

The tinnitus is constant but you DO get used to it. You hear it now as you are paying attention to it and it's new to you. That will pass. Eventually it will fade to a "background" noise that you won't pay attention to unless it's quiet or you are trying to listen hard. Tinnitus will not be affected by ear plugs or muffs. The sound is generated in the ear itself because of nerve damage to the ear and cilia that change sound waves to electrical impulses that the brain decodes as sound.

There is another factor to consider. You had an ear infection. You may be prone to something similar to Meniere's disease. That is a sudden onset of vertigo. Think a really bad case of the "whirlies" followed by nausea since it is similar to sea sickness when your inner ear gets screwed up. Stay on top of your antihistamines as that will go a long way to keeping this at bay. This is especially true if you are prone to wax build up in the ears. There is no cure for it. You learn to feel an attack coming on and pull the bike over if you are on it. As time goes on the sensations fade a bit but do not go away. It also is not constant so you can be fine one day and dizzy the next. I notice it most when I lay down facing up. I can also feel it if I am working on a car on the lift when I turn my head to face up. I have an idea I won't like roller coasters or other energetic rides like I used to as well.

Good luck. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative, there is no riding while taking a dirt nap.

Thanks for the great responses!

Every day it seems a little better, and yes I am taking my antihistamines nose drops and Allegra seriously, because they seem to be what helps...

Ear plugs do nothing but take out the shrill of music, children's voices, and my golden retriever's bark, little losses I will just have to get used to in time..No virtigo unless I go upside down in the pool or in the gym, then it's really motion sickness time for a few minutes!

Somedays it's better, and some days worse (like today) a day with the whole weight of the world setting on my shoulders (at least it seems that way). Thank God for a quick 60 seconds to let out air,, and take on another issue thats thrown at me in this job!

I would imagine by this Thursday noon the sound will lessen as I head out on my 1 week journey to and from the National!

Thanks! Strangely enough, your post really helps!

Conversations

Motor. I've been wearing the hearing aids for about a month now and I can't believe the difference. Conversations are understandable without reading lips. I can understand the sermon at church (since my wife is the Priest this is a good thing :brad) Birds still apparently sing. It is amazing.

Glenn,

I went in for a full check of the ears at an ENT office. They cleaned out the wax buildup and that helped some at the time. It turns out that using those Q tips only make a wax problem worse as it tends to push up a bit of wax into the ear canal on every use. Eventually you dam up the whole thing and things get kinda quiet.

He did a full screen and the loss, while significant is not enough to authorize hearing aids under my medical plan. The biggest problem is simply getting the conversation out of the background noise hash. He said the hearing aids really wouldn't help that. Oh well, I get by but I do take care of what I have left which is one of the reasons I avoid the loud pipes folks.

My biggest problem these days is being able to hear people in crowded environments, but I noticed a while back I could "hear" much better if I looked directly at the speaker and realized I was sort of reading lips without even realizing it. Hey, it works!

I have a 25% loss in each ear due to all the things mentioned above. I loved listening to my liquid filled Koss Pro 4AA headphones cranked up to 11 when I was younger. Now I'm one step away from hearing aids.

Another tip is to sit facing away from the room (towards the wall) when in an environment with lots of din (think lunch at Cracker Barrel...ugh!). You're just using the mechanics of the ear to pick up what you want to hear, and not what you don't.

I have tinnitus in both ears as well, and have managed to forget about it once in a while. It helps to have some white noise, like a fan, at night.

Welcome to the club. I was born with nerve damage that I exacerbated with loud rock and roll in my youth. I am down about 35% in both ears and have had hearing aids since I was about 25. Be glad that you were able to take your education with full hearing. I am sorry for your tinnitus. That is something I don't suffer. (maybe I do, but just don't hear it? :p)

The hearing aids are a mixed blessing. The expense, the wind noise, background noise and sweating are all unpleasant.

I remember on a vacation in Hawaii I had been recreating out of doors with out my "ears". Later that day, dressed and ready for a house party I noticed for the first time the sound of wind in the palm trees. It was a revelation both to know how much I am missing, and that I can recapture what is lost. Hearing is good.:ear

I found this thread searching for info about deer hits. :scratch

Tinnitus can be aggravated/intensified by caffeine. Sorry all you coffee addicts. Also, tinnitus cannot be cured but people do find that your brain can learn to ignore the ring or whooshing noise.

As far as earplugs (and as a musician/drummer), the absolute best noise control are custom molded in-ear monitors. The earphones where the goop is molded around a mushroom head are not nearly as effective. Also there is NO comparison between the in-ear monitors and just plain mushroom headed ones. You will have to spend money on them. I have a set of Westones where the electronics are in a stock housing to which is attached the custom mold. Now they probably cost upwards of $300. Like this: http://www.westone.com/content/117.html. I can have my ipod turned up no louder than I need it when I'm using it for other activities.

Ok, there's my contribution to ear health! :bolt

Back