• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tommy Can YOu Hear Me? Loud Pipes

redclfco

Witth my Birthday less then a week away, I got my present from life :huh. A trip to the ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) doctor concerning a little problem; now has turned into a HUGE problem for me.

With prostate posts and other ailments threads started, a little thing of 30% hearing loss in a period of two weeks in my right ear means very little in comparison, but is huge with me.

Cause what I have now, and according to the ENT Doctor (30 somthing, and obvious in the five minutes he examined me that he did not like ATGATT old hippie bikers) is a permenent buzzing in my right ear, tinny sounding high voices like women and children's voices, music now sucks, and the worst part? According to this guy, I will never again hear silence. The buzzing is a permement part of life. "get used to it"was his only comment.

A couple of weeks agio, I had an ear ache that went away after a day, then last week, a slight humming that got progressively worse by weeks end, I went to the family doc, who cleaned my much neglected ears, and sent me on my way with allergey pills and nose spray. It got WAY worse over the next day, so I took his referral to a ENT Doctor.

Months before this issue I went to see a GP about sinuses. This time of year, I have pretty bad alleregies, and took a doctor's advice by using the "nettie pot"twice per day tpo clear my sinuses. Apparently somehow I got a virus that traveled up m ear tubes, started a little virus, and chances are did some damage that can never be repaired. Thats it for me for life.

Now, just so you know where I'm coming from, I blame no one but me. When I first got that ear ache, my arrogant Doctor friend told me if I would have came in then, MAYBE I could have saved my hearing. But now that I foolishly waited (as he scowls at me setting there in my ATGATT outfit) it's too late, damage done. In combination of years of loud pipes and no hearing protection, constuction site noise, lawn mowers and leaf blowers, Kiwani bolier rooms, Countless Gratful Dead and Led Zepplin concerts and ear phone music along with this infection, my hearing is screwed for life.

My question for this group is has anyone else been this route, and does this confounding BUZZING in my ear EVER go away, or do I need to buy a fast Nija bike and find a tall concrete wall somewhere? (kidding guys!) ??

My SO and Son and I have planned for a year to go to San Fran next week to celebrate our 26th anniversary, my birthday (52) and her 50th.

If this takes some getting used to, I better get with it, because today I'm going a little crazy:(

PS I do have an appointment for a second opinion and more fun expensive tests, but as of today, I am deaf and dumb over this!

First off, I haven't had this issue, and I'm very sorry to read about this. I have a friend that I'm heading to visit next week and she has some hearing loss. They don't even know if it was caused by a virus or what (no symptoms beforehand). It has not gotten any worse over time (a good thing). For the most part, I don't realize she has problems with hearing except for turning on the closed captioning or having the TV turned up a bit more than is "normal" for me. So don't blame yourself - not only would I not suspect something could happen like what you experienced, it can even happen with no outward symptoms.

That all being said, have you gone to see someone else for a second opinion? For something major like that, it surely couldn't hurt. Maybe someone else has a treatment option for you that could help. I would especially look for another opinion after the attitude of the ENT. I get nothing but smiles and friendly comments when I ride to appointments - they especially like seeing me with a helmet and gear on, actually.

Good luck!

permenent buzzing in my right ear, tinny sounding high voices like women and children's voices, music now sucks, and the worst part? According to this guy, I will never again hear silence. The buzzing is a permement part of life. "get used to it"was his only comment.

My question for this group is has anyone else been this route, and does this confounding BUZZING in my ear EVER go away, or do I need to buy a fast Nija bike and find a tall concrete wall somewhere? (kidding guys!) ??

I've got a similar problem -- one that's been exacerbated by my recent purchase of a modular helmet -- despite always wearing earplugs, my right ear hears just as you've described above. It sounds like "static" or "tinniness" at certain frequencies. I haven't noticed any severe hearing loss -- but I am going to pay the ENT doc a visit.

Before that I've been living with the same sort of background noise you're describing for some years now -- there is never complete silence. But I've also noticed that over time mine faded into the background -- it didn't go away but I've gotten accustomed to it -- it's less noticeable now. But it was frustrating at first.

edit: Now I only ride with the best NRR foam earplug I can get -- 32 or 33 NRR. If there's no NRR on the package, I won't use them.

it didn't go away but I've gotten accustomed to it -- it's less noticeable now. But it was frustrating at first.

Same here - though it is 25% right ear and 20% left and the noise is sort of like a very high-pitched hiss. It takes a while but eventually you won't even notice it unless you listen for it (like I am now, boy is that annoying! :D)

edit: Now I only ride with the best NRR foam earplug I can get -- 32 or 33 NRR. If there's no NRR on the package, I won't use them.

Bullseye - I wear sound isolation earphones on the iPod and foam plugs otherwise if I am going to be exposed to loud noises. Aside from the Aerostich I keep a few in my car, suit pockets, trap/skeet bag, briefcase, sleeping bag, computer bag, etc. Personally I like the Howard Leight Laser-lites because I have small ear canals. I buy a box of 200 or so every couple years and it is now just coming time to buy more. I buy them from Conney Safety because the price is right and the service great - they will sell you a sample pack (used to be free) so you can try and see which ones you like. You could also get custom-made earplugs but I prefer the foam ones because I am always forgetting them and it helps to drop a few pairs in a bunch of different places so you always have them when you need them.

As an aside, I fly a fair amount and that is REALLY where they help, inside of planes especially if you are near the engines or a window are really bad when it comes to that very damaging rushing wind noise.

Last edited:
Wow...that stinks-well, worse than stinks. I LOVE music....that would be so hard to have to live with.

Wow...that stinks-well, worse than stinks. I LOVE music....that would be so hard to have to live with.

Yeah, I had trouble with that at first too - you adapt (thank God for treble controls), now I enjoy it just as much as I ever did (except I make SURE to bring earplugs to concerts or anywhere people will be clapping!)

My biggest problem these days is being able to hear people in crowded environments, but I noticed a while back I could "hear" much better if I looked directly at the speaker and realized I was sort of reading lips without even realizing it. Hey, it works!

Yeah, I had trouble with that at first too - you adapt (thank God for treble controls), now I enjoy it just as much as I ever did (except I make SURE to bring earplugs to concerts or anywhere people will be clapping!)

Adapt +1

I hesitate to post this because I have been a HUGE critic of herbal remedies and other types of snake oil, but not long after I got checked and the noise was still really bugging me someone gave me a bottle of this stuff called "T-Bio". It actually worked and worked well, though at first I got kind of a weird "echo chamber" effect for a half-day or so. I used it for a while and when the bottle ran out I guess I was pretty used to the noise because it no longer bothered me.

Ask your ENT about it.

Hi, I had a problem two years ago, but I had vertigo as well , my doctor put me on a glaucoma med for a month and cured it . the constant ringing and dizziness had me thinking brick wall too. glad he solved it , though he could not pinpoint the cause completely he said there is some "voodoo" involved in there.

Good luck.
Brian

Tinnitus (pronounced /tɪˈnaɪtəs/ or /ˈtɪnɪtəs/,[1] from the Latin word tinnītus meaning "ringing"[2]) is the perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound.

-Taken from wikipedia

Back in '99, I put a new inner tube in one of my sons' bicycles. Done that bundles of times but this was the first time that I had part of the tube caught between the rim and the tire. It popped but sounded like an explosion. A little stunned but no big deal.

One week later I am on an airplane heading to Manchester England. As we begin to land, I experienced excruciating pain in my right ear and my right ear buzzed uncontrollably during our three week visit. Eventually when we got home it either went away or wasn't noticed.

Fast forward to 2004. With the original windshield on my K, it did a marvelous job of directing the wind directly up into my helmet. Even with earplugs, it was not comfortable riding. I made modifications to the shield and eventually replaced it (a few times). My wife and kids consider me extravagant having replaced the original more than once until I achieved a reasonable quiet air bubble.

Three Januarys ago, we are visiting my wife's sister. She called down the stairs twice that supper was ready. I was the only one that responded and headed up the stairs to the dining room. Just before I reached her on the landing, with my ears about level with her mouth, she put her fingers in her mouth and whistles for everyone to come up for supper. That put the ringing into my formerly good left ear. The ears now ring in stereo.

Yes you learn to live with the constant buzzing but it's worse at night when trying to sleep and everything is quiet except the ringing in my ears; more so the right than the left one.

Many people consider motorcycling to be dangerous. My health concern with motorcycling is not being maimed in an accident but rather going deaf. I always wear earplugs to reduce the hearing loss.

We have a five levels and many rooms in our house. When my wife (or the last kid still living here) speaks to me from around a hallway and from another room, I all too often don't fully understand them. Unfortunately, this tends to irritate them. They think I'm going deaf. They're right.

Lazer-lites are my earplugs of choice but I keep hoping each time that I get custom earplugs made (with speakers) that they will block wind noise. My audiologist tells me that custom earplugs with speakers playing at a very low volume will not damage my ears as compared to my helmet speakers which have to be turned up high to be louder than the wind.

Unfortunately I've had one set of custom earplugs made and one set with speakers by two different companies at rallies. Both were useless at blocking noise due to my having very soft ear cartilage and not keeping the plugs in place.

When I vacuum, cut the grass or do anything that involves noise, I wear either earplugs or ear protectors. Wish I had taken earplugs with me to the "We Will Rock You" production based on "Queen's" music. Good production but even up high in the cheap seats, the volume bothered my ears.

It is with regret Redclfco that I welcome you to the Buzzy Club.

My biggest problem these days is being able to hear people in crowded environments, but I noticed a while back I could "hear" much better if I looked directly at the speaker and realized I was sort of reading lips without even realizing it. Hey, it works!

Over the years my hearing has degraded from working around aircraft and competitive shooting. Tinnitus "permenant ringing in the ears" has been with me for the past 45 years. I agree with Ted about how to deal with loss of hearing and for the past 30 years have used ear plugs, sound attenuators, etc, to prevent further hearing loss. To help with your enjoyment of music try a "good" set of BOSE or equivelant quality headphones and monitor the volume you play music at when listening. Protecting yourself from hearing or sight loss can and should be done at all times.
Ride Safe :usa :usa :ear

All of the noises from my past have done some damage no doubt...from jackhammers to The Who at full volume, chainsaws to gunfire...all done w/out any protection my first 40 years. It took days to hear normally after a front row by the Marshall amplifier stacks. I use earplugs often now, when I am not listening to music at a decent level now with earbuds, it's a quality set of plugs...the foam ones work for traffic noise at a hotel, but these Etymotics seem to do the trick for me...comfortable under the helmet and a positive fir everytime as opposed to the roll- insert-expand- try again method of the foam buggers... I taught Safety classes and the proper way to insert those things...I just do not get a secure fit . I have several pairs in various jackets or tankbags so I usually have a pair handy

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

about $12...and a cute carrying case

Here's to better hearing days Red! Hope they get better

All of the noises from my past have done some damage no doubt...from jackhammers to The Who at full volume, chainsaws to gunfire...all done w/out any protection my first 40 years.

Yep -- all of the above -- add to that riding with the windows down and the radio up for extended hours, outboard motors, lawn equipment, woodworking, air compressors and any other assortment of motorized equipment. Except in my case the worst concert damage I inflicted on my ears was the Stones in Houston around 1989 sitting right next to a tower of speakers. I should have known I was in trouble -- the opening act was Living Color and you could hear them inside the Astrodome from blocks away.

I would only add that hearing problems are also hereditary -- it runs in our family so my experiences don't necessarily mean that anybody else will suffer to the same degree -- but please do protect what you have.

Last edited:
If this takes some getting used to, I better get with it, because today I'm going a little crazy:(

It's the pits. Mine also started after an infection from water up the ear after water skiing.

To live with it:
I find that it gets worse with higher blood pressure - keep fit and it will improve, but not go away.
The volume is directly related to my stress level.
Higher pitched (female an children's) voices are difficult to hear - ask them to speak up.
In noisy environments try and get a wall behind you, or in the corner, it reduces the "clutter"
Try to avoid very loud noises, or continuous noise (use the ear plugs)
Keep the wax out of your ears, and avoid if possible, and treat infections quickly and aggressively.

All of the noises from my past have done some damage no doubt...from jackhammers to The Who at full volume, chainsaws to gunfire...all done w/out any protection my first 40 years. It took days to hear normally after a front row by the Marshall amplifier stacks. I use earplugs often now, when I am not listening to music at a decent level now with earbuds, it's a quality set of plugs...the foam ones work for traffic noise at a hotel, but these Etymotics seem to do the trick for me...comfortable under the helmet and a positive fir everytime as opposed to the roll- insert-expand- try again method of the foam buggers... I taught Safety classes and the proper way to insert those things...I just do not get a secure fit . I have several pairs in various jackets or tankbags so I usually have a pair handy

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

about $12...and a cute carrying case

Here's to better hearing days Red! Hope they get better

I totally forgot about guns pressed up to my right cheekbone!

410, 12G, 10G, 30-30, 308, 30-6, 7M not to mention the 45 and 357 with ear plugs!

When I quit blowing up little deer animals 10 yrs ago, I don't think I ever so much as stuffed cotton in my ears all those years since I was 14!! What a class act idiot!

me too

My doc was an old country guy.Went to him and said" i've got ringing in my ears-he says "me too.""Will it stop?Nope.So i guess i learn to live with it?Yep".That was about 4 yrs ago.Ed

I totally forgot about guns pressed up to my right cheekbone!

410, 12G, 10G, 30-30, 308, 30-6, 7M not to mention the 45 and 357 with ear plugs!

When I quit blowing up little deer animals 10 yrs ago, I don't think I ever so much as stuffed cotton in my ears all those years since I was 14!! What a class act idiot!

my all day long shoot fest in a dried up limestone quarry with a .45 and a .357 left me deaf for weeks, just a tinny buzz that I thought would never stop....the muffs were in the toolbox in my truck 1/2 mile away...I'll second the idiot on my part. I was 25ish and bulletproof(no punn intended) I thought!
I rented a jackhammer last summer, first time using one in years...I threw it down and got the muffs after a few seconds...DUH!

25 years as an infantry guy converting your tax dollars into loud noises and smoke; my hearing was tested and found to be very good. Just lucky I guess.

Back