• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Santiago suit

aaaaaa

I got a Santiago suit for my birthday and got a fabulous day to try it out. It's wonderful. I looked at all the brands but it "fit" the best. It's not waterproof so I'll have to still add raingear but comfort thru layers just seems to be the way it is.
robert :clap

Santiago

The Santiago is fairly waterproof isn't it? :dunno

I thought just about all the BMW suits except the Venting Machine were waterproof.

Rinty

If you buy the Gore-Tex liner they are waterproof.

The Goretex liner costs around $225 (for the jacket only). I use Frogg Toggs rain gear with my Santiago suit. I also have a windproof fleece liner for it. The suit is great, but it is neither waterproof or windproof.

I got a Santiago suit for my birthday and got a fabulous day to try it out. It's wonderful. I looked at all the brands but it "fit" the best. It's not waterproof so I'll have to still add raingear but comfort thru layers just seems to be the way it is.
robert :clap

I have been very happy with the BMW goretex liners......

Cheers........Rod

I have had several of the newer BMW jackets. In each one I am still using the Goretex liner I had bought for a BMW Kalahari jacket probably over ten years ago.
So buy a liner once and unless you out grow it you can use it on each new jacket you get. BMW still uses the same zipper arrangement so the liner still fits the new jackets like it was made for them.

The Gore Tex liners not only add waterproofness to the suit, but also makes is useful down to about 45 degrees or so. It's really good to hear the liners fit multiple jackets.

We also have had the Kalahari suits with the Gote-Tex liners.
We kept the liners when we bought the Savanna I suits and we had those for 6 years. We both bought new suits last year and new liners.
Those suits with the liners have always kept us warm (with Gerbing liners) and dry.

I have now had the occasion to try the santiago with gerbings underneath. On my GS at just freezing they work well. I do need to figure out a perfect seal for the boot /pant interface. I accepted the fact that the shell was not waterproof as I've tried both waterproof liners and rain gear coats and I prefer the rain gear. I think it's great that the liners are interchangable between current and past versions of the jackets.
robert R1100RT R1150GS ST1300

The liners are not totally interchangeable. I have a Commuter 3 with a liner and it won't zip into My Santiago...not that it's a big problem.

Worth the $$$?

I am in the market for a jacket that will handle a wide range of weather conditions and I have narrowed it down to Santiago or Revit Devil Jacket. The thing that I am wrestling with is, that the Santiago suit costs $500 something and the liner costs $200 something for a total of $700 for a waterproof setup. A Revit costs about $300 for the same waterproof setup. Is the Santiago really worth the extra $$$?

Where is the best place to see/buy these suit?

I need a new middle-weight one for here in Phx, AZ (probaly means leightweight for all you others).

Recommendations, site appreciated. Thanks.

I am in the market for a jacket that will handle a wide range of weather conditions and I have narrowed it down to Santiago or Revit Devil Jacket. The thing that I am wrestling with is, that the Santiago suit costs $500 something and the liner costs $200 something for a total of $700 for a waterproof setup. A Revit costs about $300 for the same waterproof setup. Is the Santiago really worth the extra $$$?

To me, the Santiago jacket is worth it, but not the liner. I have the pants too.

I've owned Aerostitch, First Gear and cheaper stuff. I'd definitely say you get what you pay for. I resisted spending mone on nicer gear at first, but I ride a lot, and comfort and fit became more important to me.

The armor fit comes first.

Another reason I liked the Santiago unlined is the armor. It's very sturdy and fits over my joints properly. It's snug with the gerbings underneath. The insulated liners ruin the armor fit for me because the shell gets too loose when they're removed. I picked up a fairly severe sholder injury last september landing on a curb in a parking lot. For me it's armor fit, warmth, and dry in that order. Having six screws put in a shoulder costs a lot more than any jacket.
robert '00R1100RT '04R1150GS '05ST1300

Back