• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cycle Cover Suggestion

Here's Mister Newbie trying to get his money's worth in his first two days of membership. I tried "cycle cover" and "bike cover" searches. Received hundreds of hits but nothing meaningful really.

I've got my brand-new R1250RS sitting in the garage. Unless being ridden or washed, that's where it will live. The problem is that we keep our garage door open most of the time. Lawnmower lives there, too. Oddly, no cars reside in garage. Things inside (like my old RD400) tend to get very dusty very quickly.

What's the best cover for my RS? I'd prefer something that goes all the way (or nearly) to the floor. I won't say that money is no object since money is always an object. But I'd like something good.

Thanks in advance. Warning: LOTS more questions to come.

BMW used to sell what they called a Dust Cover that was intended for inside storage. I don't know if they still sell them.
A Dust Cover is much cheaper than a cover made for full time outside storage or travel covers.

I recommend an old bedsheet.

LOL, P! But I do like your suggestion. That's what I've been using for my RD400 for nearly twenty years. The problem is that it isn't a particularly good fit. But it sure as aytch beats spending a hundred bucks (or more) on something specifically for the bike. Or $500 if it has a BMW logo on it. Hahaha!

Alternate search feature using google:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org "cycle cover"

BMW used to sell what they called a Dust Cover that was intended for inside storage. I don't know if they still sell them.
A Dust Cover is much cheaper than a cover made for full time outside storage or travel covers.

When I Google the BMW Dust Cover I only see one online BMW dealer with it and they only have size small. $69
That's too small for a RS.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm sort of leaning toward the Dowco Ultralite Plus. I'm thinking that this would be good for inside of my garage as well as occasional use outdoors if I happen to be on a trip and want to cover the bike overnight.

Here's what amazes me: I can't figure out what size to get. I contacted Dowco and they told me to measure the bike. That's fair. But, OTOH, they've been manufacturing these things for decades. They've never sold one for an R1250RS? I downloaded a sizing chart. The R1250RS is a big and tall bike. But the wheelbase isn't inordinately long. Overall length (surprisingly) isn't that much longer than a large scooter. But the other dimensions are all far too small. By the time that I get to a size that is wide and tall enough, the length is 20-30 inches longer than what I need.

I thought that I would check reviews. Good source for information. Lots of people say, "I ordered one for my R1250RS and it fit perfectly." But they don't indicate what SIZE they purchased. SMH.

The queen bed sheet is looking mighty good.

Resurrecting my own thread with info in case anyone cares...

If you want a Dowco Ultralite Plus cover for your R1250RS, order a LARGE. The dealership where I purchased the bike recommended medium. Wrong. Too small. Revzilla replied to my online request for assistance - but not until the day after my cover was delivered. To their credit, they've allowed me to return the medium cover for a merchandise credit. Once the credit is applied, I'll buy a large. So kudos to Revzilla for doing the decent thing.

But still...I find it amazing that it is so tough to obtain sizing information. It's not like I ride a '75 Zundapp, for crying out loud!

Best Covers, Lots of $$$

If function rates higher than frugality, I am recommending the custom covers from Geza Gear. http://www.gezagear.com

I have had a few of these over the years, used for touring, towing, and garage duties. Excellent fit and well constructed.

But very expensive.

Ten years ago they would deliver within about a two-week timeframe. The most recent order (August 2021) took about 6 weeks and multiple calls to check on my order's status. Just sayin'...

I'm a bit late here, but I use this Nelson-Rigg cover (the adventure version): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4AKZCH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's a decent fit on my R1250R. It can take a medium sized windscreen and a tailbag. However, it won't cover a top-box on the tail very well.
It clips under at the center and has grommets up front to feed a cable lock thru the front wheel.
Been using it for nearly a year outside and it's holding up well.

Back