• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

“Dangle” Tire Balancer

72r60/7

Anyone still using this method of balancing their tires ?

This ones from the 1970’s and was called a “Dangle” by Right Angle Engineering, Littleton Co.

D9B64F1A-777A-40C0-8EFD-E18EB2D278BE.jpg E299131F-9065-4D19-8C54-C445C80D2F64.jpg
Sorry bout photo #2 as I turned it 4 times (was that one revolution as 4 steps or 4-360° revolutions to prevent that ?). Should be 90° clockwise.

Charlie

I've seen it used. Vech at Benchmark Works sells it. The best item out there is the Marc Parnes balancer.

Back in the 80s I used a friends' Dangle balancer a few times.
It didn't seem to be very accurate.

..............The best item out there is the Marc Parnes balancer.

That Balancer from Marc Parnes looks to be an excellent tool. Seems to be quick and easy to set up. Especially with the options of adapters for specific wheel configurations.

I balance all my bike tires and always have. Never noticed any inaccurate results as I never had a reason to double check weight amount or location.

Of course, any conversation about balancing motorcycle wheels will draw those out who say "You don't need to balance them". Avon doesn't put light spot markings on their tires anymore. Why?

Wonder what racers do for balancing track bike wheels ?

Have you ever noticed how many weights are on the rear wheel on new or late model GS's. A lot and on one side of the wheel too.

Charlie

I balance them before I seat the beads, which makes it easy to rotate the tire on the wheel if I end up with more weight than I want to see.

Checking the tire before you put air in is a good idea because you can rotate the tire to put the heavy spot opposite the valve stem, thus using less weight to balance the wheel. I, personally, never thought I could get the tire as centered as close as it was mounted. Wouldn't take much to tip the scales, so to speak, with the horizontal method of balancing.

I think 3/4 to 1 ounce is my average high weight. Any more probably warrents turning the tire and 1/4 ounce makes you feel good. The same kinda good as if both of the valve stems are in the perfect position to check the pressure without moving the bike.

Charlie

Last edited:
Back