• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheel Bearing Replacement - Snowflakes

And left side (front).

Attachments

• 08-07-10 BMW Front Bearings 005.jpg
    08-07-10 BMW Front Bearings 005.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 217
Heat to disassemble/assemble Stuff

I have had great success on transmission covers using a rectangular 500 Watt body shop shop light. I haven't tried it on wheels yet. You can get it set up close to the item/area to be heated, turn it on and go do other things for 20-25 minutes. It'll get spit sizzling as needed in about that time. No open flame and you don't have to be there the whole time.

That's it for the rear guys. Now can someone help me figure out these weird 1978 snowflake fronts? No 4-pin collar on this wheel. Do I pry the seals out? Any help on the bearing stack removal is appreciated. I sure hope all of this is helpful to someone.

I think that's all you do...similar seal on the /7 wire wheels. Use something to hook the inside edge of the top hat, either a screwdriver or 90-degree screwdriver. You could also rig up a slide hammer to catch the top hat and then use it to pull out the seal.

I have had great success on transmission covers using a rectangular 500 Watt body shop shop light. I haven't tried it on wheels yet. You can get it set up close to the item/area to be heated, turn it on and go do other things for 20-25 minutes. It'll get spit sizzling as needed in about that time. No open flame and you don't have to be there the whole time.

Thanks George,

The heating process in retrospect was the weak link in my procedure and even though it can be accomplished with simple propane torches; the heat transfer properties flew above my radar and was a big lesson learned. And a point I want to get across to anyone attempting this. Next time - the tire and tube will be removed. Maybe the use af a digital thermometer to better monitor the temperature, not crazy about the spit-test and a temperature of ??210?? really is essential. Just makes extraction and mostly re-insertion of the bearing stack easier and defending against any harm to the bearing stack or hub.

I think that's all you do...similar seal on the /7 wire wheels. Use something to hook the inside edge of the top hat, either a screwdriver or 90-degree screwdriver. You could also rig up a slide hammer to catch the top hat and then use it to pull out the seal.

Kurt,

Appreciate the help. That's what I imagine after close inspection of the front wheel. And, I'm assuming the bearings and races are extracted with a puller of some sort out of each side of the wheel? Heating again for the front? If so, the tire, tube, and rotor are coming off first.

And, I'm assuming the bearings and races are extracted with a puller of some sort out of each side of the wheel? Heating again for the front? If so, the tire, tube, and rotor are coming off first.

When I was doing my /7 bearings, the whole set was removed as a stack. Putting the axle in the opposite side IIRC along with the spacer to allow the wheel nut to be snugged up. Then after the appropriate amount of heat, use the hammer to pound out the stack.

As you've seen, the reverse is freezing the stack and almost just dropping it in to the heated hub.

Hmmm...I've been thinking about this...I probably have something wrong on the front wheels as there's no trapped bearing like the rear wheel. I guess you have to remove one of the races with a regular puller so the innards can be removed. Scratching my head, trying to remember... :scratch

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for the edit Kurt...you have company in the head-scratching department. I have some feelers out about the front bearing process. I have time, had to cancel my cross country trip this year (tears).

Good news is; our Land Surveying Business just landed a large project since 8 months of nothing.

These 78 snowflakes are quite specific I'm finding out since things were different up to 78 and from early 79 on...

From looking at Haynes, after getting the seals and top hats off, the bearings simply come out and so does the internals. Then the races have to be pulled after heating the hub. An internally expanding bearing puller is needed.

Kurt,

That's my assumption also from what I've researched. I have the Cycle Works bearing tools which I believe will do the job. if not, I may invest in the Kukko puller.

Here's a picture of Dan Neiner's (Cycle Works) bearing tool.

Thanks for all the info!

Attachments

• 07-16-10 BMW Bearing Tools CycleWorks 006.jpg
    07-16-10 BMW Bearing Tools CycleWorks 006.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 190
Old Rear Bearings...

I wanted to show you guys what my old rear bearings looked like, this is after they've been cleaned in solvent. Service your wheel bearings regularly. Don't trust anyone other than yourself for this procedure unless you have nothing less than 100% confidence in the person/shop doing the work.

Attachments

• 08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 001.jpg
    08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 185
Check it out, more to come...

Attachments

• 08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 004.jpg
    08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 004.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 186
And more - at a minimum; inspect your grease seals and re-pack with fresh grease. And NEVER pressure wash your bike.

Attachments

• 08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 005.jpg
    08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 005.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 186
Here's the last one, I would just as soon forget about this images.

Attachments

• 08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 006.jpg
    08-08-10 BMW Rear Bearings 006.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 186
Front 78 Snowflake

On to bigger and better things >>> I started on the front wheel today. Lots of poking and prodding, inspection. I was able to remove both grease seals quite easily with my trusty HF slide hammer and attachments. I'm thinking with the Cycle Works bearing puller the races will be able to be removed without heat. (the jury is still out on that idea). But installation of the renewed races and bearings will require the removal of the front rotor and applied heat again. Much less mass on the front snowflake and I'm hoping the loss and migration of heat along the spokes will be much less than the rear wheel. :dunno

Attachments

• 08-08-10 BMW Frront Bearings.jpg
    08-08-10 BMW Frront Bearings.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Front 78 Snowflake

Started on the front snowflake last night. I discovered the hub has a steel liner so no heat and no hammers. The old bearings looked in much better shape than the rear and even though there's no brinelling or rust the races looked only slightly discolored and he cage rollers minimally scored. I could probably just pack and go but I have new bearings in hand and will replace.

Attachments

• 08-10-10 BMW Front Bearings 003.jpg
    08-10-10 BMW Front Bearings 003.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Front 78 Snowflake

The Cycle Works bearing puller tool will make easy work pulling the existing races and as you can see the existing bearings appear to to be slightly scored but nothing too serious.

Attachments

• 08-10-10 BMW Front Bearings 008.jpg
    08-10-10 BMW Front Bearings 008.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Front 78 Snowflake

I'll have the new outer races installed at a local Airhead shop with appropriate press and I'll perform the pre-load finishing touches at home. The fronts are a much less difficult job than the rear bearings.

Attachments

• 08-10-10 BMW Front Bearings 011.jpg
    08-10-10 BMW Front Bearings 011.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Front 78 Snowflake

Tonight the races came out of the front snowflake with the handy Cycle Works bearing tool. Nice tool. Tightening the center stud with the tool inserted behind the race expands the screw heads behind the back side of the race.

Attachments

• 08-12-10 BMW Frront Bearings 005.jpg
    08-12-10 BMW Frront Bearings 005.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Front 78 Snowflake

Another shot. This expands the screw heads behind the race.

Attachments

• 08-12-10 BMW Frront Bearings 007.jpg
    08-12-10 BMW Frront Bearings 007.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Front 78 Snowflake

After the interior portion of the tool is secure and the screw heads are expanded, the circular outer tool spacer is slid over the inner tool acting as a brace or foundation. Then the outer block is secured and the nut is tightened which pulls the entire center tool attached to the back of the outer race out of the hub and through the tool collar.

Attachments

• 08-12-10 BMW Frront Bearings 017.jpg
    08-12-10 BMW Frront Bearings 017.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Back