• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waterproof Summer Gloves

217don

Anyone found any waterproof summer gloves? I see lots of wataerproof gloves but they mostly seem for winter with insulation. Thanks.

Anyone found any waterproof summer gloves?

Waterproof gloves you say? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!KOFFKOFFSNORK.... Oh, sorry about that. SNORK, "waterproof gloves he says", oh what a joker you are!

Uhmmm, no. In my experience so far I have not found any. *Every* glove I've tried (and I've been looking for 25+ years) has deficiencies. Either the liner is loose fitting, meaning either your sweat or the slightest moisture means getting the glove back is a chore (and the glove will eventually leak anyhow). Or, there is no liner, meaning the glove soon soaks through.

What works for me is over gloves/mitts. My choice (and there are many others) is these: https://rain-off.com/

And yes, I've tried the various waterproofing methods. I'd trust them for a short shower but not a long-term soaking (i.e. more than 30 minutes).

Edit: I suggest that those who offer gloves that work also state the bike. What works for me on an R12RT doesn't always work on an R12R, or GS, or any unfaired bike.

And I do bring multiple pairs of gloves with me on a trip: 1-2 pair varying lightweight gloves (depending on season), a medium-weight glove, and *maybe* a heavier glove depending on the season and time of trip (silk glove liners help extend the temp range of any glove). I add this because I do not believe you can depend on just one pair of gloves for an entire trip, rain and/or shine.

Last edited:
I've never had a held Gortex gloves leak. Not summer nor winter versions Never not once in well over ten years of use and hundreds of hours of rain riding.

This spans several RTs, k16, Aprilia Futura, Ducati ST4S, Kawasaki Versys, ZZR1200, KLR and more bikes I don't want to take the time to list.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BMW says their ProSummer gloves are waterproof. I bought a pair for that reason but haven't worn them in any serious rain yet. It's a nice pair of gloves and a label says Goretex so I'm optimistic. If they don't work, there's the 2-yr. warranty.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the BMW summer "waterproof" gloves. They are comfortable and at least water "resistant". Honestly, here in AZ, waterproofing is not that critical! :thumb

Besides, if it is hot enough that you are wearing "summer" gloves...won't they dry out quickly?

You can go to Home Depot and get a set of rubber gloves used in ceramic tile work, etc., and use them as over gloves.

For me, however, control of my motorcycle is VERY related to my feel of the handgrips, and any sort of thicker glove detracts from that significantly. Obviously this isn't a big deal droning along on a straight road, but when there are curves I'd rather just turn on the heated grips and worry about drying off my gloves later.

You can go to Home Depot and get a set of rubber gloves used in ceramic tile work, etc., and use them as over gloves.

For me, however, control of my motorcycle is VERY related to my feel of the handgrips, and any sort of thicker glove detracts from that significantly. Obviously this isn't a big deal droning along on a straight road, but when there are curves I'd rather just turn on the heated grips and worry about drying off my gloves later.

Good point. Tactile connection to the grips and controls should take a front seat to dry.

Too many students show up for basic rider training with gloves that look more like boxing mitts. Their manipulation of controls is sloppy and that shows up in their riding.

I'm all for keeping the paws warm, as cold hands will lead to riskier operation, but bulk involves a sacrifice in sensory feedback - be careful about that. :nono

I found that the BMW GS gloves that are mostly a mesh with armor work great in the summer. My hands get wet and if they get cool I turn on the grip heaters. After the rain they dry off quickly.

Back