• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Power Socket ??? '23 RT

Motor32

Motor32
I'm trying to find out, how many amps is the power socket, below the right side glove box is rated for? I want to plug in a Gerbing vest and gloves and just want to make sure I don't fry out the wiring, I couldn't find it in the manual.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

You probably won't fry anything, but the CanBus will probably shut it down if my GS is any indication.

I believe it's only 5 amps. I cant run my jacket and gloves. I just use the battery tender plug that is connected directly toy battery . It came with a 7.5 amp fuse and I replaced that with a 15 amp fuse as I have for years on all my bikes and it works great. It is actually a better place to plug in , at least for me. You wont have a wire coming out of the dash area to get in the way of things

Yes- I recall being told 5 amps as well. Morton's in Fredericksburg, VA actually disconnects the front port and wires it direct to battery with a 15 amp fuse as part of their pre delivery service. They were like- "the OEM CAN-BUS will charge a phone (for now).... that's about it". Forget about heated gear and all that.

Last edited:
The CAN bus doesn't shut anything down; the power distribution module (ZFE on my Hexhead) controls the electrical output to things like the aux power sockets.

I believe it's only 5 amps. I cant run my jacket and gloves. I just use the battery tender plug that is connected directly toy battery . It came with a 7.5 amp fuse and I replaced that with a 15 amp fuse as I have for years on all my bikes and it works great. It is actually a better place to plug in , at least for me. You wont have a wire coming out of the dash area to get in the way of things
Good points. I have a Gerbing vest 4 A, gloves 2 A, and socks 2 Amps, and will need at least a 7.5 to 10 Amps fuse. Maybe hooking it up SAE connection from the battery, will be the easiest.

Steve

Good points. I have a Gerbing vest 4 A, gloves 2 A, and socks 2 Amps, and will need at least a 7.5 to 10 Amps fuse. Maybe hooking it up SAE connection from the battery, will be the easiest.

Steve
I got a socket mount from Touratech on my GS that puts a new fused outlet on it. I replaced the dash outlet that wouldn't power my jacket with a dual USB outlet I got on Amazon for like $22. It has the exact BMW harness connector and plugged right in. Perhaps there's a similar battery relocation set up for your bike? Maybe something like this? https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....ries-Paint-protection/Extra-power-socket.html

Yes- I recall being told 5 amps as well. Morton's in Fredericksburg, VA actually disconnects the front port and wires it direct to battery with a 15 amp fuse as part of their pre delivery service. They were like- "it will charge a phone (for now) that's about it".
That's a good idea, hooking the outlet directly to the battery, and bypassing the Can-Bus. Maybe another project to do.

Thanks

Steve

That's a good idea, hooking the outlet directly to the battery, and bypassing the Can-Bus. Maybe another project to do.

Thanks

Steve
There has been many threads on these outlet deals. Another problem seems to be initiated in the stock outlets is trying to use the outlet and one of the fancy chargers to maintain the battery on the bike.
SAE connector direct to the battery, appropriately FUSED.
I also have the Gerbing coaxial connector as well.
Can’t have too many well installed outlets. :bliss
OM

Powerlet sells socket/fused battery connection kits with various lengths of wire.

Info: The '23 RT's socket hole has a slight "D" shape which ends to be trimmed to receive a Powerlet socket. On my '23, I used a step drill bit to carefully remove the flat part that blocked insertion of the replacement socket, *without* making the hole any larger.

Info2: The nut which secures the socket on back side of the panel is 22 mm.

A semantic distinction without a difference. The CANBUS is the communication that network that communicates with the ZFE and without it the ZFE would do next to nothing.
THAT should be the end explanation when people start the CANBUS/ZFE debate. :thumb
OM

I'm trying to find out, how many amps is the power socket, below the right side glove box is rated for? I want to plug in a Gerbing vest and gloves and just want to make sure I don't fry out the wiring, I couldn't find it in the manual.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

FWIW: I have three seasons now on my '22 using a long sleeve Gerbing vest plugged into the front socket without any issues. I've tried adding the gloves a couple of times, which also worked, but prefer using the heated handgrips.

There has been many threads on these outlet deals. Another problem seems to be initiated in the stock outlets is trying to use the outlet and one of the fancy chargers to maintain the battery on the bike.
SAE connector direct to the battery, appropriately FUSED.
I also have the Gerbing coaxial connector as well.
Can’t have too many well installed outlets. :bliss
OM
Thanks, this sounds like the way to go.

Sreve

FWIW: I have three seasons now on my '22 using a long sleeve Gerbing vest plugged into the front socket without any issues. I've tried adding the gloves a couple of times, which also worked, but prefer using the heated handgrips.
Thanks for the info, sounds like on your bike, it's never been an issue, interesting.

Steve

Thanks for the info, sounds like on your bike, it's never been an issue, interesting.

Steve

He is only running a vest. Add another item and the socket will shutdown at max power. You could probably run everything you wanted if you kept the heat setting low. I think it uses PWM so it might not matter the setting if the gear is pulsing at max current if that makes sense not sure what the time factory is on the powerlet shutdown.

He is only running a vest. Add another item and the socket will shutdown at max power. You could probably run everything you wanted if you kept the heat setting low. I think it uses PWM so it might not matter the setting if the gear is pulsing at max current if that makes sense not sure what the time factory is on the powerlet shutdown.
True, if the outlet is rated at 5 A, then it shouldn't be a problem (Vest is 4 A), but add anything else and it begins. Sounds like the SAE connection, from the battery, is the best bet, for multiple items.

Steve

Gerbing's website says it pulls 4.5 amps, so a 5 amp source is going to be quite marginal.
Be advised that when it's first turned on and the wiring is cold, it could easily pull more for several seconds.
Pulse-Width Modulation of the heat via the controller may reduce this...

True, if the outlet is rated at 5 A, then it shouldn't be a problem (Vest is 4 A), but add anything else and it begins. Sounds like the SAE connection, from the battery, is the best bet, for multiple items.

Steve
On my 05 RT, I bought a Blue Sea fuse box for accessories and used a relay off of the stock factory power outlet to turn the panel on. I think I paid like $30 for the box. There are more elegant solutions available. If I was made of money, I'd install a hex innovations controller.

Back