• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250 RS How Much Electrical Accessory Power Available?

fastfwd

I'm looking at a heated jacket liner that claims to draw 74 watts/6.2 amps. The jacket liner I'm looking at is the Hotwired 12v Bluetooth liner. I haven't decided yet if it is worth the price, but it does appear to be the most simple all in one solution I can find so far.

The manual appears to state that there are 5 amps available to all 'onboard power sockets.' If I can find an adapter I would like to utilize that factory power outlet instead of plugging into my battery tender connector, but it's not a big deal. Seems it would keep the wires a safer distance from my feet, controls, etc. if I could get an adapter for the factory power socket.

I already have a Quadlock wireless phone charger installed (which makes life so much easier). I believe it provides a 7.5 watt charge to an Iphone for me. That's the only electrical connection I have. The Quadlock is connected with an Optimate USB charger.

I was hoping the RS would be able to provide enough juice for whatever heated gear needed. Am I wrong?

Adapters are available. Using the Battery Tender connector will most likely be your best bet.

OM

Adapters are available. Using the Battery Tender connector will most likely be your best bet.

OM

Some of the heated gear companies say a battery tender harness is too light duty and they recommend the pigtail they ship with the heated jacket, pants or gloves.

My first bike with canbus was a K1300S and the OEM accessory socket would not work with my heated jacket so the shop connected the accessory socket direct to the battery.
There's a BMW cable for that and there's probably one for the RS.
I didn't go that route with our RSs because BMW now has the accessory outlet on the right side of the bike and most heated jackets have the power cord on the left side.
I didn't want to lay the cord across my lap to plug in on the right side of the bike.
On our RSs it was simple to to add the pigtail that came with our Warm and Safe heated jackets and ran the cord under the seat to the left side of the frame and have it zip tied to the frame just under the seat the same height as the BMW socket.

Some of the heated gear companies say a battery tender harness is too light duty and they recommend the pigtail they ship with the heated jacket, pants or gloves.

Sure Lee, even better if the pig-tail for the jacket is provided/available. A look at the fuse will give the draw specs.

OM

Thanks for the tips.

The Tourmaster jacket liner has a lower cited power draw of like 42 watts/3.5amps. Not certain if that means that it is less capable for heat output, but I'm questioning if it is a better match for the power available on the RS? I could always just use a lower heat setting with the Hotwired product too for that matter and realize that it may draw too much power and drain the battery if I'm not careful if I run it at the highest setting.

I'm just very unclear how much power I have to work with. I would think it has a very similar power system to a GS that would seemingly easily power whatever you threw at it.

I believe both of these jackets come with a wiring harness for that matter. I just hated to mess with what I already had setup. It would be more ideal to run a pigtail under the seat to the left side of the bike for the heated jacket to keep it out of the way.

I'm planning an early spring trip down through New Mexico to Arizona and it looks like the mountain roads I want to check out could take me up to elevations with some rather chilly temperatures in that time-frame. A heated jacket liner might be a nice thing to have for this trip.

Thanks for the tips.

The Tourmaster jacket liner has a lower cited power draw of like 42 watts/3.5amps. Not certain if that means that it is less capable for heat output, but I'm questioning if it is a better match for the power available on the RS? I could always just use a lower heat setting with the Hotwired product too for that matter and realize that it may draw too much power and drain the battery if I'm not careful if I run it at the highest setting.

The Tourmaster jacket should work if it's only 42 watts/3.5 amps.
The Wethead bikes have plenty of available electrical power for heated gear. If you try to use something with the accessory oulet it won't drain the battery, it will just trip the breaker. The breaker will reset the next time you start the bike.
When we had the 2011 K1300S we could run a heated jacket, heated gloves and heated insoles without any problem. The RS probably has similar power available. We had Gerbing jackets now and I they they were 90 Watts.
Our current Warm and Safe jackets are 90 Watts.

I'm planning an early spring trip down through New Mexico to Arizona and it looks like the mountain roads I want to check out could take me up to elevations with some rather chilly temperatures in that time-frame. A heated jacket liner might be a nice thing to have for this trip.

We almost always take our heated jackets on trips, even in the summer.
The heat feels good during a cold rain.

I have a Gerbing direct connected (with their fuse kit) to the battery and it is wonderful. Whatever choice you make be sure that the connection between your jacket/vest and the bike will disconnect with a modest pull because YOU WILL get off the bike after forgetting to unplug and the jacket will then unplug itself. On my R1250RS with heated grips and my Gerbing I was toasty warm on a few cold rides. The only cold spots I had were my knees so I cut the feet off some old wool ski socks and can put them over my knees under my pants.

Last edited:
Back