• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seat lock removal

smillerv2

I have a 2005 R1200GS and I am trying to replace a broken luggage support (rear tail section that the Vario bags hang from). I have the whole tail assembly off but can't get the lock cylinder off to transfer the whole lock assembly to the new-to-me tail section. I put the key in and then push the tab in on the cylinder but it won't budge. What am I doing wrong? There are tons of videos on this but they all just say to do what I'm doing. None mention the seat lock though, they are all for luggage locks. Has anyone else had to replace their broken tail section and dealt with this lock issue? I even subscribed to the online Haynes manual but it only says how to remove the tail section, no mention of the lock assembly.

I have a 2005 R1200GS and I am trying to replace a broken luggage support (rear tail section that the Vario bags hang from). I have the whole tail assembly off but can't get the lock cylinder off to transfer the whole lock assembly to the new-to-me tail section. I put the key in and then push the tab in on the cylinder but it won't budge. What am I doing wrong? There are tons of videos on this but they all just say to do what I'm doing. None mention the seat lock though, they are all for luggage locks. Has anyone else had to replace their broken tail section and dealt with this lock issue? I even subscribed to the online Haynes manual but it only says how to remove the tail section, no mention of the lock assembly.

Figured it out. You just use a flat blade screwdriver and pry off the ring around the lock on the outside. That and one screw on the underside of the tail section is all that holds the lock assembly in.

Back