• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Red Wing Boots

GeoffMiller

Anyone out there with experience with Red Wing's line of motorcycle boots? I have always enjoyed their level of quality with their work boots over the years. The other question I have is that I have read some people suggesting that lace up boots are a big no no on a motorcycle. I have always preferred lace ups and am wondering what is the problem, if any, using lace ups on a bike.

Anyone out there with experience with Red Wing's line of motorcycle boots? I have always enjoyed their level of quality with their work boots over the years. The other question I have is that I have read some people suggesting that lace up boots are a big no no on a motorcycle. I have always preferred lace ups and am wondering what is the problem, if any, using lace ups on a bike.

I haven't tried the Red Wings. I DO have a pair of lace-up boots, though. I purchased them last year, and they are truly one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. Sadly, they haven't held up very well, but at least they were very affordable. Anyhow, people are afraid of laces because they can get caught on things; pegs, brake pedal, clutch "pedal", lots of stuff. I just make sure to double knot mine so I don't have a ton of lace hanging free, and they won't come untied. Be careful of the laces - when I first started riding I got a pair of steel-toe work boots and the laces were made of some strange material that didn't like to stay tied, regardless of what I did... so double knots were EXTRA important.

BTW: Lace-ups are nice, but they probably aren't waterproof. Buy some overboots if you are going to be in the rain. :)

I had heard only good things about these boots, red wing , wanted some for a while, kinda pricey .... now I hear that they are made in China. I thought that they were made here in the US, a real selling point for me. I don't know of anyone who has a pair now, so I can't vouch for build quality ... they may be just the same, only imported. I am still looking for a pair of slip on boots.
I have had no trouble with laced boots while on the bike, but I make sure to double tie the laces. You do NOT want to come to a stop and have a lace loop wrapped around your shift lever. The wind will play havoc with your laces.
Steve

I had a pair Red Wing Boots they were the most comfortable pair of boots that I have ever owned. To be honest I used them as a work boot and had them resoled several times until the leather gave out. After looking at the new line that Red Wing is making now I just did not like the style or cut of the boot. But I did find a less expensive boot that is just as comfortable and wears the same and that line of boots is called Magnum Boots and they have a large style of different boots and cuts. As for lace up boots I have never had a problem with my boots coming untied while riding. This not because I double tie knot it is because if you tuck the end of your shoe laces in the top of your boot they cannot come untied, maybe that is military tidbit on how to keep your boots tied.

I have had a pair of Red Wing motorcycle boots for about 4 years now. They are the taller, lace up type. They are very comfortable for me and are waterproof. They are a bit heavy though and can be pretty warm in hot weather. Laces are no problem, just wrap extra lace around the ankle and double knot if necessary. Well made.

I have had a pair of made in the USA, Red Wing #699 boots for about 6 months now. This is the same boot that the Hot Shot firefighters wear. The Red Wing salesman recommended this boot over the motorcycle boots that they carry. They lace up and after a short break in period they are very comfortable. They are definitely better than the pull on touring boots I used for the last 3 years.

Al

I always thought rainwater would find its way into lace-up boots. However, the guys who wear them say they are waterproof. Go for it.

I have worn Red Wing shoes and boot for 20 years. The product is always long wearing and comfortable. A note on re-sole, only those with stitch welt can be re-soled by Red Wing or a cobbler. A lot of their product is still made in USA, some from China. I do not ride in the Red Wing lace up boots and do not own their harness style boot. Looks like a poor choice when others like Sidi, Setup, BMW, Aerostitch have safer purpose designed boots. As far as waterproof many of the lace ups have a liner that will walk through streams and my feet stay dry.

I got a pair of red wing boots (the construction worker type/style) 7 years ago. Wear them exculsively while riding ( I 'm one of those ride to work and everywhere types) and they are still holding up and no signs of nearing thier end or needing new soles. Still the best bang for my buck out of any shoe I've ever had. they do get hot in summer for walking around in thou so I just pack some comfy shoes if i know I'm going to be walking when i get whereever. So if they make their riding boots any where near as good....

RM

I haven't tried the Red Wings. I DO have a pair of lace-up boots, though. I purchased them last year, and they are truly one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. Sadly, they haven't held up very well, but at least they were very affordable. Anyhow, people are afraid of laces because they can get caught on things; pegs, brake pedal, clutch "pedal", lots of stuff. I just make sure to double knot mine so I don't have a ton of lace hanging free, and they won't come untied. Be careful of the laces - when I first started riding I got a pair of steel-toe work boots and the laces were made of some strange material that didn't like to stay tied, regardless of what I did... so double knots were EXTRA important.

BTW: Lace-ups are nice, but they probably aren't waterproof. Buy some overboots if you are going to be in the rain. :)

Good advice.

I've got a pair of laceups I bought while on a trip to Montana five years ago and they're still going strong. I treat them with a water proof spray before a trip. For a local shower, I don't bother covering them. For a gully washer, you can use some covers.

Laceups are definitly the most comfortable way to go. Don't forget the double knot.

Easy :german

I wear Redwing Pecos period.

They become motorcycle boots when I straddle my bike.

My experience is that they last about 5 years with daily use and they are the most comfortable steel toes I've ever worn.

Red Wings

I've got a pair of slip on redwing boots for cycle boots which I've had for 27 years.
I paid $55 for them and had them resoled and reheeled about five years ago for $95. I have another pair of Red Wings (same style) I bought for $50 at a sidewalk sale just for reserve. I have a pair of Red Wing oxfords I bought for casual, that look practically new and have had them for 20 years. I just threw out my Red Wing lace-up insulated working sport boots. The soles fell right off of them after 30 years.
I have a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter oxfords I wear to church and every day. I've had them for ten years. As you can tell, I am a big fan of Red Wing shoes.:heart
I was told if they are Red Wings they are made in USA and if they say "Made by Red Wing" they are made in China. I know my Irish Setters were made in China. :sick

Redwing Boots

Can't go wrong with the brand, just make sure you have a good fit. I have a pair of slip on and lace up and thats all I ride with. The Hi-Tech Magnum is basically a tennis shoe that looks like a boot. The side impact of the Magnum has stopped me from wearing them. Any boot with a good solid sole and ankle ptotection will save the foot if you go down.

I have worn Red Wing Chukka model 595 since 1975. First pair was resoled X 2 and lasted 22 years...worn daily for casual use. Still on pair #2 bought 10 years ago. I take good care of them and they last. One of the most comfortable brands I have owned. These are not mc boots, and I have not used any Red Wings for riding so cannot comment on that. For MC riding I use the Sidi On Road.
As for workmanship and quality, I highly recommend the Red Wings. Great bang for the buck. That said, I have not bought any in the last 10 years, because they last so long.

My wife and I both use Red Wing riding boots and we absolutely love them. My wife says hers are her most comfortable shoes and if you only knew how many shoes she has. Try them.

I find that riding my motorcycle with cleats is quite annoying as they catch on the shifting and braking pegs. I like smooth soles with the non-slip non-absorbant neoprene material that slide over the pegs. I'd appreciate your input on this. It amazes me that they can even sell these things to cyclists.:dunno

I can't recall a time I have snagged cleats on the pegs, shifter or brake. I find them quite comfortable as I usually position my foot such that the heel is against the pegs. On longer rides when I shift my feet placing the balls of my feet on the pegs cause me no issue either. Quite frankly I had never given the soles a thought until I just looked. I suppose now I'll stumble walking down the hallway. :)

Back