• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big boots and tall pants....

tinygsa

I have been trying to find dedicated motorcycle boots instead of good but not great normal boots but I'm pretty much stuck. I wear a size 17 US shoe (EU 51-53 depending on what chart you read, don't get me started on lack of sizing standards).

Does anyone know of good road/touring boots in huge sizes? Ditto for good riding pants. At this point, I'm considering biting the bullet and getting motoport pants.

I have Motoport mesh pants & jacket, and couldn't be happier. They are great. I have long thighs and could not find a pair of pants off the shelf that didn't give me knee pain with the knee armor in place. Since they are built to measurements, there's no fitment issues. If need, be you can send them back for repairs. In fact, I just did that on my 15-year old mesh pants. They said they were in good shape too needing minimal repairs.

Sorry, I have no line on where to get boots.

I have Motoport mesh pants & jacket, and couldn't be happier. They are great. I have long thighs and could not find a pair of pants off the shelf that didn't give me knee pain with the knee armor in place. Since they are built to measurements, there's no fitment issues. If need, be you can send them back for repairs. In fact, I just did that on my 15-year old mesh pants. They said they were in good shape too needing minimal repairs.

Sorry, I have no line on where to get boots.

Good to know regarding motoport. Thanks! I'm tempted to make it a weekend trip, it's about a ten hour ride, give or take.

For boots you may have to go custom as there doesn't seem to be any of the regular boot makers that go much beyond size 15... I found some old threads on the matter with some guys having the same issue. Sadly nobody followed up on wether they found anything....

BMW and Klim have good riding pants in tall sizes.
Revit also has tall pants.

BMW and Klim have good riding pants in tall sizes.
Revit also has tall pants.

Yeah, I put my info in for Klim and the reply was, "Nope" lol. I'm 6'10" so finding things is a challenge. I'll check into Revit again.

I too highly recommend Motoport. Made to measure, and more comfortable than my Klim Kodiak gear.

Yeah, I put my info in for Klim and the reply was, "Nope" lol. I'm 6'10" so finding things is a challenge. I'll check into Revit again.

In that case you probably need custom. Tall inseam for Klim is 35"

Big

I asked Aerostich about custom tailoring and was told they don't do any. I am not tall but I have girth and like the person posting, have a difficult time finding correct fitting gear or any clothes for that matter. As of now, I am buying a Helite airbag jacket because they at least had a size that fit me. I would rather have had more choices but didn't.

So thanks for posting the Motoport link, I had never heard of them and this morning I will look and see what they make. St.

Motoport’s kevlar mesh and kevlar stretch are custom made to the measurements you send them and are stronger than racing leathers. They have are expensive, but you get what you pay for and will be the last riding gear you’ll buy.

I asked Aerostich about custom tailoring and was told they don't do any. I am not tall but I have girth and like the person posting, have a difficult time finding correct fitting gear or any clothes for that matter. As of now, I am buying a Helite airbag jacket because they at least had a size that fit me. I would rather have had more choices but didn't.

So thanks for posting the Motoport link, I had never heard of them and this morning I will look and see what they make. St.

I am tall (long arms and legs, but short torso) and skinny. Klim's Kodiak, which is made to European sizes fit me reasonably well (a little short on the arms and legs amd a bit roomy on the torso), whereas there isn't any other Klim or other off the shelf brand that will ever fit me. The Kodiak was way too hot for our southern summers, which is what ultimately had me get my Motoport mesh jacket and subsequently mesh pants, justified primarily for summer. I got the jacket with both the zip in waterproof liner and quilted liner, and the pants with the inner and outer waterproof liners. I've not had to really test how waterproof the liners are compared to the Kodiak which have kept me bone dry in monsoons. But the Motorport jacket and pants with the liners installed have surprised me with how warm they keep me in the coldest of temps I've ridden. For any colder temps, I might want heated gloves, but I don't see a need for heated jacket or pant liners. So, I've found I am using my Motoport mesh gear in all seasons as my go to gear, with/without liners as necessary.

Don't feel constrained by the pictures they show on their website. If you want something a bit different, just ask. I had them include key ring attachment points in one pocket, and the protective stretch mesh on the inner thighs and bottom front of the jacket to protect the gas tank paint. I've never owned a jacket and pants that fit me so well.

Good luck.

:thumb It is a good product and has been around for awhile.

I’ve had my Motoport mesh riding gear since 2007. Field tested it once (unintentionally) shortly after I got it by sliding in deep grave at about 35mph. Minor scratches on the suit and no injuries to me due the Kevlar and armour.

I chose black and after 16 years and about 170,000 miles, it still fits and is slightly faded.

I ordered the suit with the Gortex pant and coat liners which I did use for first few years in cold and wet weather. However the liners have been hanging in the closet for years. I prefer to wear wind/rain protection over my riding gear.

After I sent my measurements to Motoport, the owner called and asked for one measurements to be redone. It was obvious to him that one measurement obviously was incorrect (and he was right).

At my age, it seems that the Motoport mesh suit will outlast my riding years and will be passed along to the son who rides.

It has served well.

That's odd - Looks like Aerostich does custom alteration - maybe there was a limit to what they can do?

https://www.aerostich.com/alterations

Back