• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Klim Badlands Jacket - new late 2015 version

John M

I purchased a new Klim Badlands jacket from BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids, MI in my ongoing search for a waterproof jacket that was also comfortable, had good storage and armor. Riding a R1150GS I don't have a lot of wind protection, and for whatever reason the rain seems to follow me ( or maybe everyone in Michigan feels this way).

After a few test rides and some good rain, I'm happy to report the jacket is living up to the high price tag. Note that I did get a great deal a the annual Thanksgiving sale, and BMW of GR was friendly and knowledgeable - and patient while I tried on every jacket in the place. I liked a number of things about the BMW Dry Jacket, but the Klim won based on just feeling super durable.

Some highlights:
Most zippers can be accessed on the bike - the upper arm vents are difficult to zip closed without using two hands - but opening them is easy.
The collar has a nice soft lining, but can get misaligned and irritate your neck - but after a couple of rides I figured it out and it's comfortable. Short collar and doesn't flap. It does fit well with my waterproof balaclava and should be very protective and keep water from dripping in off my helmet (schuberth c3 pro which I love).

Long tail - the back of the jacket hangs down several inches lower than the front - preventing bunched up fabric in the front, and providing a nice rain run off as well. it's a little thing but seems to make a difference.

Ventilation - lots of it, but I think this will be a hot jacket when the weather warms up anytime I'm not moving. Other than really hot days I think it would be fine, and certainly for the midwest.

Super fabric on shoulders and forearms - ceramic half beads fused onto the fabric which is supposed to provide less friction when you slide on pavement. On my gloves this has held up well and on the jacket it feels very strong - like it would hold up to more than a typical cordura. Hope I never have to really test it.

Sleeve pockets are convenient and easily accessed.

Cuffs tighten well, but the thick fabric will require either putting gloves inside, or having gloves with large guantlets. My Held Air N Dry gloves would fit over the top of the sleeves, but they needed to be tugged on.

Reflective striping - seems very good, and lights up when any light hits it - not sure this is any better than other jackets I've seen.

Armor - this jacket is a tank. It is heavy (comfortable but heavy), but the armor feels great. The large back protector comes down to my lower back, the elbo pads come well out onto the forearms, and the jacket includes chest armor. I've taken a couple of tumbles going slowly off road - once where the front wheel dropped into a rut and sent me hard into the handlebars, so I put chest protection on the list. The armor is soft until impact and as such is very comfortable.

Kidney belt - built into the jacket is a 6" wide elastic belt that provides nice lower back support and makes the jacket feel like it would stay in place better when needed.

Zippers - are awesome. Nice, easy, thick, waterproof zippers.

Storage - good, with a nice large pocket on the lower back of the jacket.

The Klim Badlands jacket is great. I never thought I'd spend this much on a jacket. After a trip last summer across Michigan's upper peninsula in a full day 45-50F pouring rain the value of keeping dry became very apparent. The opportunity to step up in terms of safety also came after I thought about how I'd feel if I crashed and didn't have the best gear I could afford. I can highly recommend this jacket.

Have the older Badlands

Everything you listed is the same for the older jacket. Right down to the sleeve zippers being hard to zip closed one handed, and sleeves being long. I got short gloves so tuck them into sleeves. The older one has inner sleeve that you can put into glove to block wind from entering jacket sleeve.

Picked mine up before heading to Scotland in August. Rain for six of seven days and 1200 miles in 50 degree weather. Jacket was great and kept me dry and protected. Definitely recommend this jacket for cooler weather. I have another Klim for summer riding.

I have the new one. The old jacket was replaced under warranty. I miss the hand gloves. Maybe not come warm weather. The jacket fits different. The old one was a large just slightly big. The new on is a medium just slightly small w with electric jacket and a vest I wear. But perfect with just a shirt. The new jacket is lighter and has different types of material. I like the new one better so far. Just a few thousand miles. But I like it.

I got one at Billings. I used it on the way home to MN. Went to Missouri in Oct. Came back in 29 degree weather with Gerbing liner. I was toasty.

Zippers - are awesome. Nice, easy, thick, waterproof zippers.

Yes, but waterproof for how long? One year, three years, five years?

I wouldn't spend this kind of coin for performance that only lasts a few years. To give you an idea, that jacket up here costs $1150. A pretty penny for something made off shore for a tiny fraction of that.

From the KLIM catalog that I have in front of me...

"...all KLIM GORE-TEX products are GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY for the ** lifetime of the product.

** The lifetime of a product unfortunately does not mean your lifetime."

"Normal wear and tear will void the lifetime warranty."

Well I am not worried about getting a lifetime of waterproofness out of the product, but I do expect some 7 to 10 years out of it.

My concern are those forward facing vent zippers on the arms of the Latitude jacket that make a great catch basin for rain if those "vinyl flaps" on the zipper wear out due to repeated use which would be the case when it gets hot. Once they fail, that suit won't be any more waterproof than my Aerostich. It might be best to get a non GORE-TEX suit with a rain liner...one of those three-piece suits.

I e-mailed KLIM about the warranty aspect of those zippers. All I got was a confirmation e-mail. I sent a second e-mail a month later (never brush me off or ignore me!!!) and I never got a response.

I guess one isn't supposed to ask KLIM tough questions. :rolleyes

Yes, but waterproof for how long? One year, three years, five years?

I wouldn't spend this kind of coin for performance that only lasts a few years. To give you an idea, that jacket up here costs $1150. A pretty penny for something made off shore for a tiny fraction of that.

Agreed- so I'm hopeful the waterproofing will last a long time. My other goretex products have lasted for years - the longest was over 10 years so far. the other options were liners - which I find inconvenient and frustrating. Many jackets rely on a spray on waterproofing - which you can put on any jacket - but I've twice had the spray on waterproofing just stop working mid-trip and been miserable. After reaching a new level of cold and having to change plans due to being wet and cold, I took the plunge - most expensive jacket I've purchased - I hope it holds up, but so far it has been extremely waterproof and the armor feels very protective. Haven't tested it yet though.

My other goretex products have lasted for years - the longest was over 10 years so far.

I am not worried about the Gore-Tex. Its the so-called waterproof zippers that are forward facing...right into the rain, that I am worried about performing for a long time.

$1150 for a jacket? You could get 5 Tourmaster Transitions (a pretty decent versatile jacket) or another bike for that. In fact, you could get11 tourmasters if you were to take advantage of current promotions

Tourmaster = hypothermia

$1150 for a jacket? You could get 5 Tourmaster Transitions (a pretty decent versatile jacket) or another bike for that. In fact, you could get11 tourmasters if you were to take advantage of current promotions

I have tourmaster gear, and it has been a great value. The big exception is twice in heavy rains the spray on waterproofing failed in a big way. Having to stop riding for a day, pay for an extra hotel and miss riding with a group of friends was worth more than the $750 I paid for the Klim jacket. I've no crash test data but the armor feels dramatically more robust than my tourmaster as well. Fingers crossed but so far even a solid 400 mile day in heavy rain in Michigan in cold weather and nothing other than some drips down my neck got it. I imagine I could buy 750 $1 plastic ponchos as well - but if they don't work it's not a good value.

I am not worried about the Gore-Tex. Its the so-called waterproof zippers that are forward facing...right into the rain, that I am worried about performing for a long time.
I checked out the pockets. The flap does a nice job of covering the zippers. I like the forward facing aspect. The pockets are a lot more accessible. I don't think this is a long tern wear problem and certainly not a deal killer for a great jacket.

I have tourmaster gear, and it has been a great value. The big exception is twice in heavy rains the spray on waterproofing failed in a big way. Having to stop riding for a day, pay for an extra hotel and miss riding with a group of friends was worth more than the $750 I paid for the Klim jacket. I've no crash test data but the armor feels dramatically more robust than my tourmaster as well. Fingers crossed but so far even a solid 400 mile day in heavy rain in Michigan in cold weather and nothing other than some drips down my neck got it. I imagine I could buy 750 $1 plastic ponchos as well - but if they don't work it's not a good value.
Good rain gear is a wise thing to carry regardless if your gear gortex or not and would have negated the need for a hotel night and missed riding day.

I am a fan of gortex but the reality is, zippers and other areas will leak and you will get wet given enough time.

Everything will leak in time, so rain gear should be a staple on every trip.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Good rain gear is a wise thing to carry regardless if your gear gortex or not and would have negated the need for a hotel night and missed riding day.

I am a fan of gortex but the reality is, zippers and other areas will leak and you will get wet given enough time.

Everything will leak in time, so rain gear should be a staple on every trip.

To each his own. I have put my Klim gear through severe deluges and back and it did as well as any very good rain gear I had in the past. I keep it up, periodically refresh the water proof coating and it doesn't leak.

Listen I'm not saying klim or gortex are bad products, they are GREAT PRODUCTS, but I have to laugh when one justifies their purchase based on getting wet, spending a day in a hotel and missing riding because supposedly inferior gear leaked.

To me that is the fault of poor planning to pack rain gear and not the fault of the gear itself.

All gear will leak, period, the more zips, vents and flaps the greater the chance. Maybe not when new, maybe not today, but one day, under some circumstances it will. There is no reason not to ever pack rain gear if getting wet is not acceptable.

IMHO of course.

There is no reason not to ever pack rain gear if getting wet is not acceptable.

I have to since I wear an Aerostich.

But as for the KLIM or any other high end gear, it has to perform for many years of ownership at the prices they are charging for it. If it is leaking, it is garbage in my books.

I checked out the pockets. The flap does a nice job of covering the zippers. I like the forward facing aspect. The pockets are a lot more accessible. I don't think this is a long tern wear problem and certainly not a deal killer for a great jacket.

I was not referring to the zippers for the pockets, but the zippers that are opened for airflow & venting. Those have a membrane to seal them as the zippers are closed, but with them in the upper arms facing forward (for venting to be effective), I don't want them not sealing after repeated use after many years. The Gore-Tex aspect of the rest of the jacket would be of little use at that point.

If the vents are not forward facing how are you going to get air in. I think you are worrying about nothing. I like the jacket, paid the money and are happy.

If the vents are not forward facing how are you going to get air in. I think you are worrying about nothing.

Why don't you ask KLIM, if they even get back to you. I tried to get a response to a simple question using their on-line contact us form...never got an answer. Makes you wonder why they even have one.

And I do my research which is why I have very few purchase regrets.

I like the jacket, paid the money and are happy.

Good! How old is it and how many miles are on it?

Why don't you ask KLIM, if they even get back to you. I tried to get a response to a simple question using their on-line contact us form...never got an answer. Makes you wonder why they even have one.

And I do my research which is why I have very few purchase regrets.

Good! How old is it and how many miles are on it?

My first one was 4 years old with 60 K miles. The second one is several months with 10 K. The first one was replaced due to the faded hi vis and wear abrasion on the sleeve from gloves. Great customer service. The dealer took photos and in less than a week Klim had replied. I turned the old one to the dealer and got a new on off the rack. The same model was available but I was allowed to get the new style. This one is all black. Both jackets have been through numerous all day deluges and the only leakage has been around the neck. Almost all of my riding buddies have Klim jackets. Several are very old and still doing the job. We ride in hot, cold, wet, dry, doesn't matter. Zippers have been thoroughly tested and all are still leak proof. I bought the jacket after seeing how well theirs did compared to my Aerostitch. Best jacket I have ever had and I have been riding since the late 60's.

Back