• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heated gear on f650GS?

G

Gumbeaux

Hey folks. Is anyone running heated gear on their F650GS? I have an 06 w heated grips, abs, etc, and I would like to run a heated vest or jacket this winter. I am concerned about the power draw. I also run a gps, but it only draws a few watts I understand.

So...anyone doing it? Experiences good and bad are welcome!

Thanks,
Dan
:lurk

I could run my Gerbings jacket with the heated grips on high with no problem. I couldn't turn on the driving lights though at the same time, that would take too much power. The ABS is of no concern since it is only drawing any significant power when activated, and then the battery can supply the extra watts needed.

Kisan Charge Guard

I recommend you get a device that allows you to monitor your charging system while using heated clothing. My wife uses a Widder Vest, PIAA lights and heated grips on her 650 and it does require some management of the devices. She can't have everything running full strength at the same time. She runs a Kisan Charge Guard (http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=5&catname=chargeGuard); it works well and is simple to install. It also serves as a thermometer and can be purchased with an integrated battery charger. Remember the aux plug on the 650 is not switched so even a brief pause with the heated gear plugged in and turned on can be a big oops (particularly if it happens 40 miles out of Destruction Bay in the Yukon).

All you need is a voltmeter to tell you how you're doing. If the voltage is below 12.6 -12.8V while you're running, you're draining the battery.

I run with my heated vest on and the heated grips on low, and have not experienced any problem . . . so far.

Floyd

I run with a Gerbing jacket liner and heated grips, no problem. But, I blew a fuse with the jacket liner and pants liner from the socket. After wiring directly to the battery (with appropriate fuse), no problem.

on my '07 i keep a close eye on my volt meter/battery monitor but i normally run a warm & safe heated jacket liner plus my heated grips, and hippos hands. in real cold weather i use my heated jacket liner but turn off the heated grips and use a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. in VERY cold weather (single digits) i use the heated jacket liner, gerbing gloves and a pair of gerbing heated socks. i have yet to have any problems but i do turn the socks off (or jacket liner/gloves) if i am running very slow/low RPM's (below 4000) but with the RPM's above 4000 i have never had a problem. i also keep my bike on a battery tender every night through out the winter riding season.

EDIT: i forgot to add that switching to a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket will let you to turn a few more RPM's. you will turn approx. 500 RPM's more then the stock gearing at the same speed. i run a 15 tooth CS sprocket all year long but even if you switch to the 15 tooth just for the winter while your using heated gear this will help you keep your RPM's up and your battery charged.

Last edited:
Heated gear on F650GS

I run a heated jacket liner, gloves and PIAA lights when on the highway with not much trouble. When I have to slow down for the ocassional town I turn the lights off since they draw the most power. A little volt meter is handy also.

Heated gear feedback

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I am researching voltage monitoring devices as well, and I am grateful for the recommendations on that topic.

oh...yes...we have winter here in Georgia. Just not as deep as the old North, and it's much shorter. Still, the early morning rides up to the mountains can chill you to the bone.

Just trying to extend my riding season. In Georgia, with heated gear, it's 365 days easily!

Thanks again,
Dan

how I manage

I have two different volt meters running....

I have the Kuryakyn that gives me a nice colourful visual display, especially at night. There are two reds, ambers, two greens and two more reds. See photo in this. thread

In addition, I added the Digital 5 Function volt meter. For those times that I can actually read what it has to say (the light is always on, but when it's dark it is difficult to read, that's when the Kuryakyn comes in handy, and oh, it draws like a milli amp or two??). I can watch the voltage go up or down, and the accuracy is +/-.2 if I recall.

(hopefully this link will work...)
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14124&Category_Code=

I have become a master at making this whole thing work.

For starters, keep the rpm's at or near 4, you go below and stuff disappears faster than the light will change!

PIAA lights (35 watt x 2) and maybe squeak a little heat into my vest. Too much and I no longer charge at 14.0/14.1, it starts to decline.

Heated grips on high with heated vest on minimally., I stay charged
**The plan is to be monitoring both gauges, that little Kuryakyn detects when I use my brake and flashes one of the green lights.

Out of necessity, my battery got so low that the ABS failed. I turned them off and gave the bike a wide berth for charging back up and then brought the ABS back on board.

Oh, the first thing to go was the stock battery. I have an Interstate in after attempting to get a Huasa to handle the load (no can do). I put the battery on tender whenever she's resting. Big help.

Hopes this help, now get out and ride!!:bolt :bolt :bolt :bolt :bolt :bolt :bolt

Back