• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking at 02 GSA. Looking for feedback.

StLouRider

I have to admit, I miss my GSA a little. I had an 08 and a 14 in years past. I have a 2011 RT now, and love it. At 69 I’m not looking for any heavy duty trail riding. I have a Yamaha T7 for BDRs, for now, it’s getting heavy to pick up. However, on a recent trip out west, we came up on several roads that were more GS oriented than RT oriented. I’m definitely keeping the RT, but found a well cared for and properly set up 2002 GSA, at a reasonable price. I had a 96 GS at one time, and I felt it was a bit under powered. Maybe it was just that bike, and I should have done some research, but I test road a 08 GSA, and that’s all it took. I know there’s some big differences between a 96 GS, and a 02 GSA. Improvements as far as I’m concerned. I’m 6’5”, so seat height doesn’t bother me. The current owner has a Corbin, and a Russell to chose from. I’ll have to decide that later. He added Ohlin shocks, a different wind screen, and the fore mentioned seat. New tires, service is all up to date. He swapped out the quick disconnect fuel lines. I believe it’s ABS, but not linked brakes. Heated grips, but no cruise control. I’m fine with that..
Anyone think of anything I need to look at when I go check out the bike? I believe it has the original FD and clutch. I don’t think it’s been seriously off roaded, but has been down it’s share of gravel roads. I’m not a big collector of bikes. Right now it’s just the RT and the T7. I’m thinking this GSA will see limited use. Ok, help talk me into this.. Ha!

The reason your T7 is hard to pick up is that it falls all the way over.

otoh, when an R-model GS falls over, the cylinders keep it at about 45 degrees.

Definitely check for play in the rear drive's big bearing and pivot bearings... grip wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, then wiggle. Rotate rear wheel and see if you feel any rough spots (u-joint failing in drive shaft)

The reason your T7 is hard to pick up is that it falls all the way over.

otoh, when an R-model GS falls over, the cylinders keep it at about 45 degrees.

Definitely check for play in the rear drive's big bearing and pivot bearings... grip wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, then wiggle. Rotate rear wheel and see if you feel any rough spots (u-joint failing in drive shaft)

I have a much easier time picking up the T7, than I did either of my GSAs. I must have a special talent for getting them all the way over and leaning down hill. I can still right the T7. Just not sure how many more years I’ll be able to do it.

I’ve been reading about spline issues with the 02 GSs. Seems like a pretty high failure rate, and a fairly expensive fix. Hopefully I’m getting a clear picture and not distorted views. There was a time I was afraid to go out on my old LT for fear of a FD failure. I never had an issue, many did, but not as common as I thought.

There was a time I was afraid to go out on my old LT for fear of a FD failure. I never had an issue, many did, but not as common as I thought.

Overall on the failures on the Oilheads and K1200LT and RS bikes were somewhere in the neighborhood of 5% with about 95% being just fine. But the comments on the Internet made people think they all were going to fail. Of course, if yours failed once or more times the statistics are meaningless to you personally.

Overall on the failures on the Oilheads and K1200LT and RS bikes were somewhere in the neighborhood of 5% with about 95% being just fine. But the comments on the Internet made people think they all were going to fail. Of course, if yours failed once or more times the statistics are meaningless to you personally.

Totally agree. Many years ago when I got back into riding a bought a Honda, then another. Then I did a somewhat impulsive switch to the LT. After the purchase I started my research. (Still embarrassed to say.)
After reading about all the FD failures I was paranoid. With every bump I felt I knew that FD was blowing up..

Back