• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

From Central Coast, CA to The Woodlands, TX

tangoalpha

Greetings Oilheads!

I hope you’re all doing well and in good health. I’ve been away from the forum for quite a while and boy has a lot happened since my last post.

For those of you who may remember me, I was living on the CA Central Coast with my wife and kids and riding an ‘02 BMW R1150RT. Well, after years of discussion, my wife and I finally decided to move to Texas. I used to live here in the 1990’s and we’ve been talking about moving back, but as you know timing is everything. Well, that opportunity came along, I bought a business and we’re now happily living in The Woodlands (Sterling Ridge, for those who know the area).

Well…it’s hard to believe, but it’s been a year since we’ve moved. In that time, I’ve been so busy with launching my new business and family life, that my poor bike has been sitting In the dark corner of my garage feeling lonely. Well, it’s time to get Der Bimmer out from under that motorcycle cover and start riding it again. So…I’m looking for some recommendations that I hope you can help with.

I’m in need of a State Inspection Service Center that inspects motorcycles. Also, can you please recommend a reputable independent BMW mechanic near The Woodlands who can work on my Oilhead?

As always, I’m grateful for your help and insights.

-Thomas

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate that. I may not always know where to look, but at least I know who to ask. Your help is greatly appreciated. Looks like there are several different locations in nearby, Spring, Magnolia and Conroe. That will work. Really looking forward to getting the bike back on the road.

Out of curiosity, would either of you gents happen to ride a black R1100RT? I ran in to a BMWMOA member in a parking lot a couple months back who mentioned living in The Woodlands also. Ironically, there’s also someone riding an identical twin to my bike who appears to live in the area. So it would seem there are at least a few of us Oilheads who live in The Woodlands. I would really enjoy connecting and getting to know some local members.

Last edited:
Well…Der Bimmer passed the TX State Safety Inspection with flying colors. Thanks R0ckrat and Lee for your help. I used the look-up tool and found a Goodyear Automotive Center near my house that does the safety inspections. I checked in yesterday morning at 8AM and by 8:15AM they were done. I didn’t even have time to finish my cup of coffee. I was truly impressed with how quick and easy this was. Best part, they didn’t even charge me for the inspection. Being from CA, I’m not accustomed to having these “safety inspections” done. We used to have smog checks done on cars and trucks, but nothing was required for motorcycles. Admittedly, the safety inspection that TX requires isn’t much of an inspection if you ask me. From what I understand 2024 is the last year they will be required.

All that’s left to do now is get the bike registered. Really look forward to having this bike back on the road.

Back