• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

looking for my perfect bike

KARSTEN

Is the K1100 my perfect bike ? I have been riding my fair share of BMW bikes over the last 40 years or so, still looking for the perfect fit.
There was a time my R60/5 was "it", owned a couple airhead RT's, an R1100 as well as a K75S. Oh, forgot the 2005 GS. All great bikes at the time.
Now, semi retired, looking for low maintenance, easy to live with BMW that I can do some touring, two up, I am 6'4 but also should be a "riders bike".

I am thinking the K1200 and K1300 might be too big, too heavy for me down the road. Also Like the R1100/1150RT's but just not sure about
reliability and ergos (6'4) but imagine them to be agile enough for "fun riding" as well as occasional touring.

Which of these, K1100, R1100RT or R1150 is the "Must have bike" ? Been sneaking looks at Honda ST1100 and 1300 but they seem too heavy.
Thanks for all input.

Your perfect bike will tell she is the perfect bike. Kinda like pets/puppers/murder mittens or that ignorant butt munching Himalayan Fur Devil that has decided my home is perfect for her.

Is the K1100 my perfect bike ? I have been riding my fair share of BMW bikes over the last 40 years or so, still looking for the perfect fit.
There was a time my R60/5 was "it", owned a couple airhead RT's, an R1100 as well as a K75S. Oh, forgot the 2005 GS. All great bikes at the time.
Now, semi retired, looking for low maintenance, easy to live with BMW that I can do some touring, two up, I am 6'4 but also should be a "riders bike".

I am thinking the K1200 and K1300 might be too big, too heavy for me down the road. Also Like the R1100/1150RT's but just not sure about
reliability and ergos (6'4) but imagine them to be agile enough for "fun riding" as well as occasional touring.

Which of these, K1100, R1100RT or R1150 is the "Must have bike" ? Been sneaking looks at Honda ST1100 and 1300 but they seem too heavy.
Thanks for all input.

A K1100LT fit me well after I put a flatter RS seat on it and it handled well as a long distance touring mount with hard sidewall Dunlop Touring Elite tires. Gearing felt short, but it was the handlebar buzz at 65mph that really soured our relationship. That bike ran much better at 80mph+, but there weren’t many places I could ride at that speed so it had to go. Beautiful bike, though, and very reliable. Too bad about the buzz …

It seems clean, low mileage K1100’s are somewhat hard to find now anyway, but there are a few nice R1100RTs out there at very reasonable prices. The 1150s are nearly the same machine but I’d stay away from any BMW bike with the infamous “whizzy brakes”.

Good luck with your search.

Reliability on an R1100RT is, for the most part, what you and the previous owners make it out to be. There are typical trouble spots like the Hall Sensor and fuel line disconnects but they're fixable and won't bother you again once fixed. Beyond that, doing routine maintenance and inspections will catch almost everything well before it becomes a safety or ride-breaking problem. The maintenance schedule provided by BMW is detailed and thorough. If you find an example that's had the typical stuff dealt with by a caring owner, you can expect many trouble-free miles if you are also a caring owner.

I don't know much about ergonomics for tall people, though, because I'm not that. I do know that bar risers are easy to get for the RT and peg lowering kits are out there, and that aftermarket tall windshields are very popular.

A K1100LT fit me well after I put a flatter RS seat on it and it handled well as a long distance touring mount with hard sidewall Dunlop Touring Elite tires. Gearing felt short, but it was the handlebar buzz at 65mph that really soured our relationship. That bike ran much better at 80mph+, but there weren’t many places I could ride at that speed so it had to go. Beautiful bike, though, and very reliable. Too bad about the buzz …

It seems clean, low mileage K1100’s are somewhat hard to find now anyway, but there are a few nice R1100RTs out there at very reasonable prices. The 1150s are nearly the same machine but I’d stay away from any BMW bike with the infamous “whizzy brakes”.

Good luck with your search.

My feelings exactly about the K1100 I had. Loved the bike, the size, everything...except the buzzy handlebars at 65-70 mph...right where you would normally be cruising. Hilariously, I would have to tell any of my riding partners 'we can ride 60 or 80, but nothing in between". :D That buzz would just exhaust you after a full day of riding.

My feelings exactly about the K1100 I had. Loved the bike, the size, everything...except the buzzy handlebars at 65-70 mph...right where you would normally be cruising. Hilariously, I would have to tell any of my riding partners 'we can ride 60 or 80, but nothing in between". :D That buzz would just exhaust you after a full day of riding.

The buzz was reduced a bit using premium fuel, and some at the time claimed “degreeing” the spark plugs would help too. The bike came with complex rubber damped bar end weights. I found they worked better with over a pound of solder wrapped around each and then duct taped to secure everything, but that looked as crude a solution as it was and didn’t last long. I also tried mounting stacks of fender washers in the switchgear’s non-functional mirror mount holes, again without much success.

It seemed strange the bars even could vibrate as much as they did at 67mph, considering how loosely they were attached to the bike through the stock rubber mounting system. It was obviously a resonance problem, above or below that fairly narrow rpm band the vibration wasn’t all that noticeable.

It was a good interstate freeway runner, though. I put over 1200 miles on it one day coming home from a National, running an indicated 85mph most of the way. On that bike, it almost seemed easy.

I have owned several motorcycles over the years. The perfect motorcycle? IMO, it doesn't exist! There is always some short coming.

I have ridden all four of the Japanese brands, three Harleys and now an RT. None were perfect.

All my imports I had were lacing in some way. All were fun bikes, but they excelled in some points and failed in others.

I like to tour on my bike and loved the Harley for the seating position, all of it was great, but hated the low HP, the terrible ride, and the weight. My RT, I love the performance and the ride, but not so fired up about the sport touring seating position.

Give me the seating of a Harley bagger with the performance of a r1200RT along with the simple serviceability in a 600-700 pound package. And no, a K1600 isn't it!

When Harley came out with the V-Rod I had hopes for their baggers. I had visions of HD building a bagger with a variation of the V-Rod engine, then toss in a mono shock rear suspension, tune up the front suspension and strip off 200 pounds, but that ain't happening!

The buzz was reduced a bit using premium fuel, and some at the time claimed “degreeing” the spark plugs would help too. The bike came with complex rubber damped bar end weights. I found they worked better with over a pound of solder wrapped around each and then duct taped to secure everything, but that looked as crude a solution as it was and didn’t last long. I also tried mounting stacks of fender washers in the switchgear’s non-functional mirror mount holes, again without much success.

It seemed strange the bars even could vibrate as much as they did at 67mph, considering how loosely they were attached to the bike through the stock rubber mounting system. It was obviously a resonance problem, above or below that fairly narrow rpm band the vibration wasn’t all that noticeable.

It was a good interstate freeway runner, though. I put over 1200 miles on it one day coming home from a National, running an indicated 85mph most of the way. On that bike, it almost seemed easy.

Yeah, you didn't even have to look at the speedometer...your hands told you when you hit 80 mph. Ha!

I'll just put this out there as my two cents' worth:

I rode DOHC Honda Fours from 1979 through 1986. I owned two CB750F's (a 1980 and an '81). After the 750's, I bought a 1983 CB1100F. Honda only sold it in the US for that one year. I put more than 50,000 miles on it in a little over three years. That bike was fantastic. It was fast as heck, handled like a sport bike (well, Honda called them "Super Sport"), and was extremely comfortable on the interstate. It is very difficult to go back, after nearly forty years, and get really in-depth, especially when you try to compare it to bikes of today. I traded it for a new 1986 Suzuki GSXR750. The GSXR (the early air-cooled version) was a great bike in its day. But it was gosh-awful on long rides. And riding one of those bikes in summer in Florida cannot be described (think "oven"). However, I cannot think of a single thing that that CB1100F did that wasn't, if not superb, extremely adequate. Great bike.

I'm in search of lower height and less weight, neither of which describe a K11LT very well, but your retirement physicality may differ from mine.

And don't forget that a K11LT can be like riding an oven when it's hot. All the heat gets pulled out of the side panels and into the cockpit. "KGuards", if you can find them are a huge help, but without them, those bikes are seriously hot.

HA! I've been searching for the perfect bike for now 54 years of riding!

I'd say any RT that catches your eye would be good for you. Don't think of them as just a touring bike, they are very nimble, just ask all the LEOs that ride them. And the good thing about the civilian ones is that the bags are removable in seconds. I imagine bike size and seat height/position are important to you at your height. The RTs have higher factory seat options and most years the seats themselves are adjustable to different height settings.

Perfect is an illusion, we just need enough good to make us forgive the bad. And, isn't the perfect motorcycle the one you're riding at any given moment?

Last edited:
The bike I'm riding now is perfect, but it's not my favorite. Sometimes, you need more than one motorcycle.

Doug

The only complaint I have with my 2009 RT is my knees mostly and back. As tall as I am, I am wishing for something a little lower. Swinging my leg over gets old. I don't need any more tech. More power would be nice. That's it.

Back