• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 2022 R1250 GSA Rallye….3 weeks out!

K1300Ser

I have actually come by this post in a roundabout way as I recently posted several questions recently relating to Nav and Aux lighting and such for the R1250 GSA. Thanks again all for the help. I am open to any R1250 GSA suggestions……do’s and donuts…….maintenance tips Etc…….

So then, what I came here to say was that I ordered a brand new R1250 GSA Rallye a few months ago even though there was some supply chain uncertainty at BMW related to the Russians “helping” the Ukrainians. It seems there are Ukrainian parts in the GSA. The update on my bike is that it is built and now due to hit our shores June 2. Probably to the dealer a few weeks after that.

I considered waiting for the 1300 GSA but I have avoided some terrible motorcycles over the years by not buying the first edition of one model or another. In aviation, anyway, its a given that you try to avoid flying the “A” model of anything.

This is my first GS/ GSA and my second BMW. I bought the GSA to tour the lower US, Canada and Alaska and it just seems like one of those bikes that everyone should own at least once and do a large trip on. I only rode one about 15 minutes at a dealer sponsored event about 2 years ago. I almost bought the Yamaha Super Tenere as it seems to do everything the GSA does with stone cold reliability and less money invested although less capable in certain terrain. I also looked at the Africa Twin, the Tiger and KTM’s excellent Super Adventure and might have been equally happy on any of them. I have not talked to anyone, however, that regretted their GSA. I have a northern US route planned, a Route 66 tour and a trip above the Arctic Circle mapped out on the wish lists.

My first BMW was a beautiful K1300S Motorsports which I still own. It is the best all-around single bike I have ever owned but it folds my legs just a bit too much for a multi-week adventure. For a few days outing or anything on a weekend its just magic. I am not enthusiastic about selling it and may keep it if the GSA isn’t my thing but for now…….it’s for sale.

I spec’ed the GSA with the Premium package which, for the 2022 build sheet, is just about every option all lumped together. There are not a lot of a la carte items on this years build. Regular suspension and seat height. I’m pretty sure it’s coming with whatever 80/20 tire BMW is using these days. I’ll try those first. It has heated seats and the BMW factory 1.5” bar risers. I will be using the Garmin ZUMO XT and the Touratech locking mount for navigation. The BMW unit seems to be overly expensive and glitchy.

Auxiliary lighting includes the Denali D4’s up front, Denali Multi-function rear turn signals and the T3 rear lights as well. The rear end lights will be programmed to pulse briefly with brake application.

Luggage is via the BMW Atacama soft panniers and the BMW hard top case in black.

After some Grip Puppies and some sort of highway pegs I feel like I’m ready for the ride to Alaska. PLEASE chime in with any tips for the long rides. I’ll post pics of the bike when I pick it up near the end of June.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions so far. Outfitting the bike has really been fun.

This is my first GS/ GSA and my second BMW.

Welcome to the fold.

One tip: don't overpack. :D

Dcp00214-X2.jpg

Another tip: watch for these little orange flags (especially the ones down on the roadside, without any signs)

DCP00250-X2.jpg

And last... consider joining the GS Giants... a great group of friends focused on advriding fun. Their big party is in Colorado this August, maybe a good shakedown run for you and your new bike.

Ian

gsGiant_logo_2500_R_noURL-M.png

Back