• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gear shift indicator

beemer01

My new to me K100RS is exhibiting a strange gear indicator problem. When cold the gear shift indicator works fine - but when it warms up the indicator becomes intermittent and than vanishes completely taking the neutral light along with it.

I plan to do the Curry test and see if the signals coming up to the plug are right, but is there a chance that the connector is bad? That is certainly in the heat from the engine...

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking and I will have to take the trans off to get to the plug.

I Know I'm old school...never had an indicator telling me what gear I was in...just knew where I was:p (BSA 441, Triumphs, and even a first year Honda 750).

I have become an advicate that if it is designed into the machine it should work:thumb

Please let US know what you find.

Thanks----tim

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking and I will have to take the trans off to get to the plug.

The plug on my 1989 models is under the right side panel, and easy to access. Hopefully it was done the same way in 1985.

The switch itself is on the back of the trans, so only the swingarm has to come off if you want to replace it. Its not a hard job.

had a similar problem on 94 k110LT, the 4 wire connector on right side below tank wasnt real tight and lost some contact intermitantly, which is a real joy. boils down to going back to basics and checking out things that at first may look ok but hiding their secrets.

When replacing use the gasket offered and a little high temp silicone to prevent future moisture from getting in there.

Back