• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 R1250GS - engine thrumming sound in 3500-4000 RPM range

brettlj

My 2021 R1250GS has developed what I can best describe as a "thrumming" (oscillating) sound over the past 4-5k miles of a cross US/Canada road trip my wife and I are currently on. I had the 12k mile service done at a BMW dealership in Quebec City, but they didn't have time to really look into it (or test ride it to confirm what I was hearing), but now that we're back in the US I need to get it figured out.

Here are the details of when I can hear the noise as best as I can describe them:

- I've confirmed it's not tire noise; when it's occurring, the sound is the same on dirt/gravel as it is on pavement.
- It's most prominent in the 3rd and 4th gears, although I've heard it in every gear at various times
- It generally starts above 3500 RPMs; it goes away pretty much immediately when I go above 4000 RPMs; I believe this is the most important clue, as I think what is happening is that the sound stops when the ShiftCam shifts from the partial-load to full-load cam. I know nothing about how this works, but given how immediately and consistently the thrumming noise stops when this shift occurs, to me it seems to indicate some sort of timing issue under partial load.
- The thrumming sound isn't occurring 100% of the time; it typically starts when the bike is nice and warmed up (e.g. after an hour or two of riding, but not always--sometimes it happens right after I start riding).

Any theories on what could be happening? I am taking it to a BMW dealership in Missoula, and I'd like to be able to give them some specifics on what I'd like them to take a look at.

Welcome to the forum!

I can’t help on this other than moving your post to the Wethead section later on.

Good luck.

OM

My 2021 GSA also has a cyclic vibration at cruising RPM, but not all of the time. It usually appears when the engine is fully warmed up. The amplitude of the vibration can vary depending on engine load, gear selected, and sometimes even lean angle.

Mine has been vibrating almost since day one, and has not gotten any worse over time (23K miles on the clock so far).

The consensus over at advrider is that it's an harmonic vibration originating from the transmission gears and is not abnormal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Drew - thanks, that sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. A harmonic vibration had crossed my mind, but the sudden stop of the noise at 4k RPM didn't seem to fit that, but perhaps that's just the change in engine load due to the cam shift.

OM - Doh! Please move it when you deem appropriate. Perhaps a new Boneheads section is in order! :)

No, but I did have that sound at one point and I believe it was the cam tensioner, which my local dealer at the time fixed by replacing it. This is a much lower, slower rising/falling sound. Hard to describe a sound with words :whistle …may have to try and get a recording of it.

I thought the cam chain tensioner issue created a ticking sound, not a ringing sort of sound?

My 2016 1200gs had a terrible harmonic drone around 3500 rpm under steady throttle. I moved on to a 2022 1250gs. It has the same harmonics issue, but at much less intensity. Nature of the beast, it would seem.

Back