• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DYNA BEADS for tire balancing

I am not a tire person, but with the possible exceptions of limited production/specialty racing tires, and custom machined tires for large earth-moving equipment, I believe that tire manufacturing is a largely automated process these days. I say this because I used to design general purpose industrial motion controllers (robotics) for Rockwell/Allen-Bradley, and many thousands of these products have been in use in Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear, Michelin and other tire factories around the world since the 1990s. I've seen a number of them in action at tire factories - and I don't envy the people who have to work in tire factories either! I've helped the manufacturing engineers debug programs that wound/laid the belt patterns for tires, ran the mould controls and even machines/routed out the tread patterns on large (> 3 meter diameter) heavy equipment tires. But, my areas of expertise are in computers and robotics, not tire design.
I'll say again that I walk by tires now, mounted on parked cars and "see defects"(for a short while I was a tire inspector , having departed my skilled trades apprenticeship for the Army & momentarily they made me do it until the classes cycled around) so that must mean the machines/controls that you reference don't work any better, in some respects than the tire builder laying on the plies as in the past?There have been controls that rotated the tire machine drum for a long time-but the builder made the actual ply splice with his hands. I wonder if Goodyear installed your "stuff" on the "G" machine that was used for building tractor fronts in the past? It had a patent date of prior to the great depression...:thumb

The question out here is 'where does one get Dynabeads'? All the local dealers either haven't heard of them or just don't carry the product....
As stated :google and just buy them straight from Dynabead & while your at it , read their website info & when you get done with that go to www.advrider.com and check to see if there is a group buy going on. I have a bunch! in a bag and weigh them out as needed. I think Cycle Gadgets has them too.
I'll say again what was stated earlier in this thread-use a squeeze bottle with a tube connected to the valve stem & simply tap with a screwdiver as they roll in.You don't need engravers ,etc.. This can be done while laying on a creeper and trying to stay awake,watching TV, or downing a cold one. Static is the real issue as the beads are tiny & going slow makes the job go faster.:thumb

I bought some Dyna Beads yesterday from BestRest Products in Seattle. Just over $16 and they come in a handy pre marked installation flexible clear hose. I'm going to give them a spin and see what happens. Here's a site link and no I don't work for them or any of that sort of stuff.
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-100-dyna-beads.aspx

I am just curious to see if they work. Who needs lead if you can avoid it?

Back