• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does this airhead make me an airhead?

So, if that's the case, what am I looking at? New bearings? New Rods? New Crank? New Engine? New Identity?

A new identity is cost prohibitive unless someone steals your current one and you have full coverage.

You won't know about the rest until you get it apart. If it is just bearings and bushings with no damage to the crank, rods or case it is a lot less expensive. If the person in the saddle tried to keep going even though the bike was making horrible noises (more throttle!) the crank will be damaged. The path those chunks took on their way to the oil pan is a life or death question for the cylinders and pistons. It also depends on your ability and willingness to do the labor.

If you pull the cylinders and connecting rods, you will be able to answer all the questions.

If you have a clear title, using the original case is a good idea since it has numbers are matched to the frame and usually tied to the title.

Good luck to you. Thanks for the pictures and story. I hope it has a happy ending.

Press on, of course

It should require little to no additional cost to pull the pistons and rods. Just an hour or two of your time. Then at least, you will have a better idea of the challenge you face. Could just be a rod small end disintegrating.
And, if nothing else, this thread will continue to amuse the rest of us :eat
Good luck!

I agree with that idea. Be advised that the con-rod bolts have a head that is called a "triple square" head. It looks like a torx but has 12 points. Kind of an odd-ball tool. I also like the idea of getting a bottom end, preferably from a wrecked bike. This implies that the motor was running when the bike went out of service. If you could find a bike close to the same year as Renegade, you could make 1 bike out of them. The most difficult judgment is deciding when to put away your turd polish and move to the dis-mantling stage.

Again, I want to encourage.

Both parting out and tracking down the problem require tearing it apart to a similar degree. If the problem is fix-able, fix away. If not, then you've already got the bike parted. The hard part will be just parting with the parts you've already parted. :scratch

I was going to mention the triple-square on the connecting rods as well. Be careful and aware of what tool you are using and when. I had bad luck with a crappy brand one I bought at Autozone.

dec10009.jpg

The dissection of an airhead engine can easily be done. I've got to the point where I can replace my pushrod tube seals in about 40 minutes and be back in business. :laugh It's not much further to inspect the piston/con rod/internals.

Again, I want to encourage.

Both parting out and tracking down the problem require tearing it apart to a similar degree. If the problem is fix-able, fix away. If not, then you've already got the bike parted. The hard part will be just parting with the parts you've already parted. :scratch

I was going to mention the triple-square on the connecting rods as well. Be careful and aware of what tool you are using and when. I had bad luck with a crappy brand one I bought at Autozone.

dec10009.jpg

The dissection of an airhead engine can easily be done. I've got to the point where I can replace my pushrod tube seals in about 40 minutes and be back in business. :laugh It's not much further to inspect the piston/con rod/internals.

At least you knew where the metal pieces came from!:stick

Here's the Kicker that's waiting to kick my A$$

To Quote Tom Cutter, who has more experience in his little finger than I will ever collect in the rest of my life.
"I will go out on a limb here and say that the engine is probably toast.
Even if the PO had replaced the spun rod bearings (those fragments are
destroyed rod bearings) then he obviously could not be troubled to
clean out the oil pan, which means that the coarse metal debris has
been circulated through the oil pump and into the filter. That will
usually destroy the pump housing (which is the crankcase.) In addition,
the main bearings are probably damaged, and I am pretty certain that if
he left the pan on, then he didn't replace the main bearings or
crankshaft."

In the words of Charlie Brown, "I'm DOOMED!" Stay tooned!

Always look for an upside. This is an excellent opportunity to really learn about these engines. Dig into it and see what's going on in there. I'm really good at taking things apart. If I was only as good at getting them back together!
These engines are so simple even a caveman can do it!

To answer the original question; Yes Lonelobo, you are an AIRHEAD.

Lonelobo,
I have been thoroughly enjoying this thread since you began and wait daily with bated breath for your next installment of RENEGADE. I truly hope it does not end here!
But I am beginning to think that BUBBA was not so dumb after all.:D

Lonelobo,
I have been thoroughly enjoying this thread since you began and wait daily with bated breath for your next installment of RENEGADE. I truly hope it does not end here!

Ditto, dude... I'm not even an Airhead, but I find myself having these urges...

thanks for some A-1 entertainment:p

Being an Airhead and former auto tech, I vote to keep Renegade alive. I've been in your situation several times. I once bought a Saab- yeah that kinda story. The owner drove us around claiming it wasn't registered. Turned out, it wouldn't go much over 30, due to a pinched fuel ilne & final drive HOWLED at 40. Ended up converting from auto to stick. Then the car was totaled, while parked in a High School parking lot, just after all sorting and fresh paint.

tear it down

When I picked up my R90S in '86 I didn't know the PO had taken the front cover off for some reason and re-assembled the chain/sprokets non-aligned! He then, apparently, started the engine, maybe even rode it around? busting two lifters into pieces, in their bores before re-aligning the sprokets correctly.

So, I got it, heard the noise, tore it down, learned how not to assemble an engine, got a good '74 block, did some upgrades, re-titled it, sold off my other bikes, and have always enjoyed this keeper.

Renegade is fixable, depends on how much time you've got.

These engines are so simple even a caveman can do it!

Now of course you realize that we'll begin to see the GEICO commercials with a couple Cave men on Airheads or tooling down a 27mm socket for the swingarm, or holding up a TwinMax just like Carol Merrill on let's make a deal. Wait...were the Cavemen the PO of Renegade?

Sheesh, the endorsements these dudes get.

Back