• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disappointed and Discouraged in BMW

Not a bleak outlook on tech, perhaps an objective outlook on tech would be a better descriptor. Some is good, much is simply frivolous.

You mentioned electronic suspension: The ESA on my GS cost an additional $800, but in my honest opinion has not delivered much additional value at all. It still doesn't have the tuneability of a 20 year old Suzuki DR350, In reality the bike handles no better than a non-ESA GS, and it will cost a small fortune when (not if) the shocks eventually need to be replaced. But the button on the handlebar and the display on the dash looked cool so I fell for it in the showroom. We live and learn.

Dynamic ESA is but one safety feature of many offered by BMW - ABS pro, stability control, tire pressure monitoring, ride-by-wire, etc. Suspension components are wearable components and all eventually need to be replaced regardless of the sophistication of the tech that goes into its design & performance. I don't dispute that repairs/replacement will be expensive but we each place our own individual value on the cost of various safety features based on many factors including our disposable income. Not being an engineer I can't speak to the accuracy of the claims but for what its worth this is what the mothership says about the value of dynamic ESA:

"With the optional Dynamic ESA, BMW Motorrad offers an electronic suspension which taps into a whole new range of possibilities as well as providing maximum riding safety and performance. This semiactive suspension monitors the vertical movement of front and rear wheel control in travel and speed as well as other parameters by means of a spring travel sensor in each position and adapts the damping automatically to the situation depending on riding conditions and the manoeuvres being carried out by the rider. Damping adjustment of the spring struts at front and rear is effected by means of electrically controlled regulation valves. The drastically improved contact between road and tyres means that Dynamic ESA can provide a previously unequalled sense of security.

Dynamic ESA does not work as a self-contained system, but is able to communicate with the other control systems – BMW Motorrad ABS as well as Automatic Stability Control ASC. What is more, the basic settings of Dynamic ESA are linked to the riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”, which can be conveniently selected by the rider at the press of a button."

Evening 129564,
I got an even better idea. "Just get in your Honda Accord and make motorcycle noises." Think of how safe you would be then and all the tech you could ask for even.

Alright, I stole this from another forum but I thought it might fit well in this enlightened discussion.

Talk with Ted Porter about a Wilbers conversion of your OEM ESA shocks. Costs less than new standard shocks for a non-ESA bike View attachment 66267and works G-r-r-r-r-eat!

Lee, once the OEM ESA shocks are removed is there an issue with the function of the ride modes, are there any codes or alerts shown on the dash? What other side effects are there? I am hopefully a long way from needing to replace a shock, but I suspect I will go the route of using conventional shocks.

Evening 129564,
I got an even better idea. "Just get in your Honda Accord and make motorcycle noises." Think of how safe you would be then and all the tech you could ask for even.

Alright, I stole this from another forum but I thought it might fit well in this enlightened discussion.

Umm . . . gee thanks for your contribution to the enlightened discussion. Last time I checked this club involves a brand that is all about advancing technological and safety features and has become a leader within the motorcycle industry. Generally speaking most BMW riders place a higher premium on wearing safe gear, getting proper training, practicing safe riding habits and buying bikes with tech (like ABS and ASC) that help keep the rubber side down and them out of the Darwin awards. YMMV.

So...maybe not the poster child for typical BMW owner:dunno Just lightening the conversation:wave

standing-on-the-motorbike.jpg

Some love latest tech, some need it, some do not.

We haven't made a move to a newer model with BMW as our newest is a 2009. We are second owners of 2014 and 2015 KTM thumpers which have enough tech to compliment our riding habits.
The Airheads we have are not tech heavy and they seem to do just fine...even feel like the oddball when I pop a GPS on mine when I need to navigate inner city mazes.I know:whistle
Our four wheeled vehicles are a 2002 Dodge Cummins and a 2010 Toyota FJ...we are fine.

With the tech seekers, my observation has been they change bikes and cars more regularly than average and when their bikes come anywhere near the mileage point of component replacement will move to the next model. Nothing wrong with that as it allows us to pick up a gently used low mileage machine...works for us.

OK that's a candidate for the Darwin awards. Same stunt didn't end well for Indian Larry.

I survived it at 16 on a Honda 90, at 18 on a 350 and again on a HD in my 20's. Was it smart? My 60 year old mind says most likely not...but it only put me at risk because it was done away from any impact to others on a long stretch of coastal beachfront...and at the time was kind of a fearless risk of youth. Kind of same freedom riding brings to me now...just a lot saner age appropriate choices. Mostly:wave

I survived it at 16 on a Honda 90, at 18 on a 350 and again on a HD in my 20's. Was it smart? My 60 year old mind says most likely not...but it only put me at risk because it was done away from any impact to others on a long stretch of coastal beachfront...and at the time was kind of a fearless risk of youth. Kind of same freedom riding brings to me now...just a lot saner age appropriate choices. Mostly:wave
We may grow old but we certainly won't grow up. :lol

Lee, once the OEM ESA shocks are removed is there an issue with the function of the ride modes, are there any codes or alerts shown on the dash? What other side effects are there? I am hopefully a long way from needing to replace a shock, but I suspect I will go the route of using conventional shocks.

These are not conventional shocks. They remain ESA. The Wilbers conversion reuses the electronic operators from the OEM shocks and replaces the springs and worn out dampers. They work much better than OEM and cost less than non-OEM replacement shocks.

Umm . . . gee thanks for your contribution to the enlightened discussion. Last time I checked this club involves a brand that is all about advancing technological and safety features and has become a leader within the motorcycle industry. Generally speaking most BMW riders place a higher premium on wearing safe gear, getting proper training, practicing safe riding habits and buying bikes with tech (like ABS and ASC) that help keep the rubber side down and them out of the Darwin awards. YMMV.

And another day dawns somewhat cool and crisp but dry. Morning again 129654, IM (humble) O, BMW, much like other MC manufacturers, uses technology or gizmology primarily to sell motorcycles and nothing wrong with that but one should recognize it for what it is. I think to be realistic you should maybe think of ESA as primarily designed and intended to enhance rider comfort and thus hopefully sell you a new machine. If ESA enhances safety a bit that's OK but not necessarily a priority from the manufacturers standpoint the priority being rider comfort oriented.

I see from your profile you are a retire LEO. Were you a motorcycle officer? Just curious.

And another day dawns somewhat cool and crisp but dry. Morning again 129654, IM (humble) O, BMW, much like other MC manufacturers, uses technology or gizmology primarily to sell motorcycles and nothing wrong with that but one should recognize it for what it is. I think to be realistic you should maybe think of ESA as primarily designed and intended to enhance rider comfort and thus hopefully sell you a new machine. If ESA enhances safety a bit that's OK but not necessarily a priority from the manufacturers standpoint the priority being rider comfort oriented.

I see from your profile you are a retire LEO. Were you a motorcycle officer? Just curious.

PM sent.

R75/5 owner (previous)

My favorite early airhead foible that sometimes caused owner head explosions was the GEN light. If the bulb burns out or isn't making a reliable contact with its holder the battery won't charge. Sometimes.

And don't forget the need for hands the size of a technically advanced 3 year old to effectively work inside the headlight bucket...... Yes, the good ol' days.....

I like and own airheads because i don't have to worry about warranties, and I can usually make all the necessary repairs. Once sorted, airheads are darn reliable IMO, and if there is a problem, they are easily diagnosed usually. Chunk.

There is an interesting article by Fred Rau in February's issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (an excellent magazine by the way) titled "Bulletproof." in his article Fred says.

"Thinking back to the 1980, I could count on something going wrong with any bike every 5,000 to 7,000 miles rather than 110,000. The old bikes may have been a lot easier to fix when they went balls-up, but they also crapped-out a lot more often. Embrace the technology and ride on!" I wondered why he had a photo of the new Gold Wing at the top of the article, until I saw what he wrote beside the photo. "The all new Honda Gold Wing is one of the latest models to push the limits of the technology envelope"

I recently traded-in my 2006 RT for a 2018 RT, and I have to admit that when I rode it home I was a little intimidated by the technology. But, now that I'm up to speed I can't imagine the bike without it.

E.

Back