• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another "oil" thread-- thoughts?

In your garage try propping a mirror on the floor at the correct angle to see the site glass.
Does the fairing lower get in the way?
This will not work on a trip.

Hi Lee, yes the fairing parts make it difficult to see the sight glass even on my knees with a flashlight.

I use an extendable mirror on the 16RS I can straddle the bike and see the glass easily with the mirror.

Thanks

Brownie, when I first got my K (I’m the 2nd owner), it was a painful experience the odd time I was able to get the bike onto the centre stand. Replacing the centre stand bearings eliminated the problem.

Could your issue be as simple as bearing replacement? 🤷 Just another thought that I don’t think has been suggested.

Brownie, when I first got my K (I’m the 2nd owner), it was a painful experience the odd time I was able to get the bike onto the centre stand. Replacing the centre stand bearings eliminated the problem.

Could your issue be as simple as bearing replacement? 🤷 Just another thought that I don’t think has been suggested.

That's not beyond the realm of possibility Paul. Next time my mechanic gets the motor for service [ sometime in late Feb for tires and oil change ] I'll have him check the bearings. I had him replace the spring/s on the center stand last year before the summer trip.

Thanks Paul

One More Thought

I just thought of another issue I once had with the K100 a few of years after owning and it was once again difficulty getting it onto the centre stand. This time it was not bearings but the tired (rear) shock, which was replaced and that solved the problem.

We on the forum have given you many potential solutions to your centre stand issue. I hope one of the
least expensive ways to eliminate the problem will be the answer.

Even if it is months down the road, please let us know what worked for you.

Cheers!

I just thought of another issue I once had with the K100 a few of years after owning and it was once again difficulty getting it onto the centre stand. This time it was not bearings but the tired (rear) shock, which was replaced and that solved the problem.

We on the forum have given you many potential solutions to your centre stand issue. I hope one of the

Cheers!

:thumb

Cheers!

The suggestion on riding the motor rear wheel onto a block of wood worked. I had a neighbor come over and stand on the other side of the motor for the first two attempts to get it up on the center stand. Went up like I used to put the GW up on the center stand with no effort at all.

On a multi state trip, I doubt I'll bring the block of wood with me, but for when it's in the garage sitting it'll do to check the oil level. I'll only use that method when I want to check the oil level though.

Good suggestions all, thanks

The piece of wood doesn’t need to be large and could be easy to carry in top box. As well, one doesn’t need to ride onto it. You can simply stand beside the bike and roll the rear tire onto the piece of one inch wood.

Glad it worked for you. :thumb

While I had posted earlier, perhaps I wasn’t clear. I use 2 pieces of wood. One the front and one for the rear wheel.
I find the F800GS rather top-heavy and figure I need all the advantages I can get.

Whatever works for you. :gerg

OM

Yeah, I find getting the bike up on the center stand to do any work a chore.
For your consideration, when I need to get the bike on the center stand, here is a trick I use.
I select the appropriate thickness of wood, usually 3/4” to 1”, in short pieces and set them just behind the front and rear wheels. As I bring the bike rearward, as it gets up on the boards, I deploy the center stand as usual.
The extra started height of the bike really helps. A good grab point helps as well. I used to use a short “endless” sling wrapped around an appropriate spot on the frame as a “grab” point but have switched to the really nice, although expensive, folding lift handle from Wunderlich.
Probably removing the luggage would help but………

OM

I started reading this thread with a bit of skepticism. I can quite easily get my 2023 RS on its center stand - even when wearing flip flops. Then I saw the word "luggage." Since I bought my bike its only task has been commuting, for which a top box is all I need. I've been using the lower side case support arm as my grab point. This weekend, I'll be using my side cases for the first time and will see if I can find a good grab with them on. If I can't, I'll be ordering one of those Wunderlich bars straight away.

It may be expensive, but just like divorces it's expensive because it's worth it. ;)

I started reading this thread with a bit of skepticism. I can quite easily get my 2023 RS on its center stand - even when wearing flip flops. Then I saw the word "luggage." Since I bought my bike its only task has been commuting, for which a top box is all I need. I've been using the lower side case support arm as my grab point. This weekend, I'll be using my side cases for the first time and will see if I can find a good grab with them on. If I can't, I'll be ordering one of those Wunderlich bars straight away.

It may be expensive, but just like divorces it's expensive because it's worth it. ;)

Even fully loaded with side bags, tank bag and top case, I never had any difficulty getting my 05 RT on the centerstand. I had to stand on the centerstand, but mostly, it was kind of timing, more than strength. I'd grab the bike by the subframe and as I stepped up on the centerstand, I'd simultaneously lift it as it rolled backwards and over the curve of the stand.

It shouldn't be a lift but rather taking advantage of the bike rolling backwards while you it over the curve of the sidestand.

When we lowered Tina's K75S, the relationship between the chassis and the centerstand changed just enough to make the bike a complete PITA to get on the centerstand. She had to do the wood block thing, too. I always had a hard time with her bike, but no issue with my K75C at stock height.

When BMW lowers a bike from the factory, do they have a shorter centerstand to go with it? If so, would that help the OP?

On my RS I'm able to use the grab handle with the bags in place.

On the RT, I just grab the frame rail where it lives under the bodywork. On the GS, I use the peg mounting area on the rear subframe. Same for the /2, now that I think of it. :ha

The guys that make the "park and move" dolly were at the Barber Vintage Festival in Oct 2023 (in the vendor display area). Use of this device presents similar issues with having to heft the bike onto the center stand on the dolly. The folks at the vendor booth used several magazines beneath the wheels to elevate the bike to facilitate an easier center stand deployment.

Thus, one would not have to have a specific piece of wood.

https://adaptivtech.com/products/park-n-move-br-m-01-01

Screenshot 2023-12-04 162307.jpg

Even fully loaded with side bags, tank bag and top case, I never had any difficulty getting my 05 RT on the centerstand. I had to stand on the centerstand, but mostly, it was kind of timing, more than strength. I'd grab the bike by the subframe and as I stepped up on the centerstand, I'd simultaneously lift it as it rolled backwards and over the curve of the stand.

It shouldn't be a lift but rather taking advantage of the bike rolling backwards while you it over the curve of the sidestand.

When we lowered Tina's K75S, the relationship between the chassis and the centerstand changed just enough to make the bike a complete PITA to get on the centerstand. She had to do the wood block thing, too. I always had a hard time with her bike, but no issue with my K75C at stock height.

When BMW lowers a bike from the factory, do they have a shorter centerstand to go with it? If so, would that help the OP?

Yes. It's much more of a straightening of your leg than a lift with your arm. You more or less "pop" it onto the stand.

On my RS I'm able to use the grab handle with the bags in place.

Both of you guys are raining on my gadget buying parade. That's probably good. I should really concentrate on getting the lights and horn installed that have been sitting in my garage since August, before I by more stuff.

With most BMW sidestand designs, downward weight on the lever arm on the stand does more than lifting. Which means, of course, that the 250 to 300 pound rider has an advantage over us 160 pound dudes.

Both of you guys are raining on my gadget buying parade. That's probably good. I should really concentrate on getting the lights and horn installed that have been sitting in my garage since August, before I by more stuff.

I was referring to the stock grab handles by the passenger seat.

I could put the 900# GW on the center stand without any thought at all. Now, with a bike that weighs 300# less, I struggle. I weigh about 15-18#'s more now than when I put the GW on the center stand every time it reached home and sometimes on the road.

In fact, the wing went up as if it weighed 50#'s That, to me, suggests design differences, not a weight issue. Oh, and BTW, the panniers don't come off the bile, each holds 18#'s of gear 24/7

In fact, the wing went up as if it weighed 50#'s That, to me, suggests design differences, not a weight issue. Oh, and BTW, the panniers don't come off the bile, each holds 18#'s of gear 24/7

Most sport-touring BMWs have center stands that are fore/aft positioned such that either wheel can be removed and the bike will stand on its own until the wheel is reinserted. So it’s possible the GW has different fore/aft positioning, which can make a bike easier to centerstand but less helpful in the event of a flat or other routine maintenance.

Best,
DeVern

Most sport-touring BMWs have center stands that are fore/aft positioned such that either wheel can be removed and the bike will stand on its own until the wheel is reinserted. So it’s possible the GW has different fore/aft positioning, which can make a bike easier to centerstand but less helpful in the event of a flat or other routine maintenance.

Best,
DeVern

Interesting. The 3 wings I owned, when on the center stand placed the rear wheel off the ground, and like the beemers, push the ass end down, front wheel is off the ground.

Positioning of that center stand could certainly make a difference, but not in the area of lifting either wheel on the road if needed

Back