• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT Oil quantity check question

Got the bike out of the shop for its scheduled maintenance, rode home, put it on the center stand, and checked the oil level after 5-10 minutes. Couldn't see anything in the sight glass no matter how I moved my eyes or the light around.
Waited until engine was cool and found the same thing.
Figured out that I couldn't see anything because the oil level was above the top of the sight glass.
What should I do?
a) ride along like no problem since the BMW dealer did the maintenance.
b) try to get a little oil out of the engine so I can see some top to the oil level.
Thank you for your advice.

After your next ride park it on the side stand for 5 minutes then put it on the center stand and check the level after another 5 minutes. If it is still over the top take it off the center stand and have someone watch the level as you tip the bike slightly to the right. Don’t go too far so you don’t drop it. You will probably find it is just over the top and nothing to worry about.

I like Mike's suggestion. If you do find that it was way overfilled, then I'd simply unscrew the oil filter and dump that small amount of oil to bring it more inline with the proper amount.

Your situation is the opposite of what once happened with one of my bikes at a dealership. During my first ride of the season, after an hour, I stopped for lunch and checked the sight glass. No oil was visible. Went inside, ordered lunch, went back outside and added some oil. Second trip outside, added more. I repeated this exercise a few times during the meal. Eventually after a full litre, oil rose to the middle of the sight glass. The dealership had somehow neglected to add the final bottle of oil. When I called the shop I was told that these K bikes can run fine with no damage with oil being down a full litre. Fortunately for them and me, I have since put well over a 100,000 km on that bike and it is still running fine.

I think I’d rather have an excess of oil rather than too little.

Good suggestion was given about removing and drainng the oil filter if there should be an overfill. I’ll keep that in mind if I should ever overfill my Oilhead.

This is confusing to me

Started & ran the engine today to get oil temp indicating. All on the center stand. Oil level at 5 minutes after shut down was just a little over halfway up the sight glass.
Let things sit for another 5 minutes and the level was higher but not to 3/4 full.
Started engine and ran until oil temp was up to the first “tic” mark on the oil temp gauge.
Shut down and wait a timed 5 minutes. The level was right about 3/4 of the window.
So why did it show over the top of the window after I rode maybe 10 miles from the dealer?

I'd presume that the dealer FILLED the oil to the top mark, but as you rode, it heated up and expanded.
As its volume increased, some was probably blown out the breather, and the level came back down to normal.

Back