• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 RT oil in aribox

If the oil is overfilled it can end up in the airbox. Oil gurgling from the oil fill...IDK. IDK how that's possible.

I proceeded with the maintenance suggested by the BMW dealership (although with a bit of hate in my heart). Below are the notes from the tech that conducted the service.

"Removed cylinders, cleaned cylinders and pistons of carbon. Replaced piston rings both cylinders. Removed all valves from heads. Thoroughly cleaned the carbon buildup from heads and valves. Replaced valve guide seals. Reassembled top end. Set ignition timing. Checked valve clearances. Calibrated idle actuators. Performed throttle body sync. Drained and filled engine oil. Set oil level. test rode. Function tested. Motorcycle runs and rides as designed. Recommend return in 600-1000 miles for visual inspections. Recommend break in- vary speeds and gears as much as possible. No high revs until 600 miles (what is considered high revs is there a recommended a rev range to stay within). No lugging in high gears."

Did the tech make any comments whether or not he saw something wrong/not quite right/out of spec? Some of us are curious.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 5.39.55 PM.png

here is the report from the service preceding my MAJOR engine work. After this recommendation from the tech, I proceeded to conduct the prescribed action. Upon completion I checked oil and there was no oil visible in the sight glass as well as low oil indicator. At that point the bike went back to the dealer and they performed the cleaning and ring/seal replacement.

I know from personal experience those twin cam motors can burn a LOT of oil, even from new. Mine went through it’s first quart in 600 miles, but consumption gradually decreased after that. A couple of friends with similar bikes also experienced disappointing oil consumption issues that continued beyond the 36k warranty period. As I recall, BMW considered anything better than 800 miles to a quart “normal” for these engines.

As for break-in, I just rode mine normally, but it seemed those who rode theirs more aggressively during break-in had better results.

This is known as positive crankcase ventilation.

Rather than vent crankcase fumes to the air, they are recycled to combustion chamber. A requirement that appeared in the 1960s.

It gets interesting with a boxer engine configuration.

This is known as positive crankcase ventilation.

Rather than vent crankcase fumes to the air, they are recycled to combustion chamber. A requirement that appeared in the 1960s.

It gets interesting with a boxer engine configuration.

Regardless of what anyone may claim, significant oil consumption is not “normal” for a modern car or motorcycle engine, unless said engine is nearing end of life with tired rings and valve guides. There are millions of engines out there that consume almost nil, even boxers. That is “normal”.

A couple of references I am aware of-

What does GM consider normal oil consumption?
During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines. The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Is it normal for a car to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles?
It is a fact that most engines will burn some oil. The majority of manufacturers consider one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles to be acceptable. It should also be pointed out there are some performance vehicles that will consume a quart of oil in less than 1,000 miles and is also considered acceptable

These references are for cars but rooting around with find similar stories about motorcycles as there are many factors involved with motorcycle engines from the “break-in” period to sitting in traffic on a hot day to “doing the ton” on a 100+* day on a speed run.
It’s good to check your oil.

OM

Back