• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200 GSA no-start - fuel related diagnosis help needed (long)

RCinAR

SOLVED - Took a while but I replaced the in tank fuel pump with a new Bosch pump and replaced the fuel pressure regulator with a new OEM unit. Took a while to find the correct 100 psi submersible fule line for in tank use to plumb in the new pump - could not find a replacement flexihose with the two different sized ends - until I had the repair completed, then found one surfing the web... Cleaned out the in tank (non-replaceable) fuel filter with some carb/injector cleaner and very low pressure air - no restrictions either way, so I am guessing mainly fuel pump failure. Hope this helps someone else when they encounter a similar issue.
Back on the road. Thanks for your assistance.......

Hi All -

Fairly new member, been lurking, first post. Love the GSA so far.

2007 1200 GS Adventure, new to me earlier this year, just hit a no start - due to fuel issues – I think.

The GSA has 47,334 miles on it now, PO farkled it pretty well with Ohlins, Touratech, Sargent seat,etc.
Had been starting and running just fine. I bought the bike intending to run to Inuvik and Tuk later this summer with a buddy, so have been working on the bike in the shop making soft luggage mounting racks, adding lights, etc. I wrench all of my own bikes and am a pretty competent shade tree mechanic. My Dad was a heavy equipment mechanic so I learned a lot from him.

Out for a ride a couple of weeks ago – had gone about 80 miles, returning home on rural two lane winding asphalt. Cruising along at 50 or so, bike died – acted like it was running out of fuel, caught again, died, caught again for a few seconds and then died for good. Coasted to a stop on the side of the road. Fuel strip not working, no surprise, thought maybe I was simply out of fuel. A friendly lady whose husband used to ride stopped to see if I was okay and I got two gallons of gas from her. Bike started right up – ran fine - for about ½ mile, then the exact same thing. This time it would not restart. Roadside assistance and a tow truck ride back home. I'll sort the fuel strip out later.

The nearest BMW dealers are about 2-1/2 and 4 hours away, so I figured I would check into this one myself. Basics – added two more gallons of good ethanol free premium - so at least four gallons in the tank now, replaced the battery with a new Yuasa YTX14-BS (I know that FI bikes need good batteries and it was on my Tuk prep trip list to do anyways) – and started reading GS forums. Bike would start on a bit of starting fluid sprayed in the airbox behind the new Mahle air filter. Would not start or stay running on fuel.

Ordered a GS-911, reading online showed that the fuel pump controller might be suspect. Got the GS-911, and scanned the bike – it was not showing any error codes except a previous low battery positive voltage (no longer currently present) and a horn malfunction (still present – not sure about this one as the bike horn does work without any issues).

Tested the fuel pump and the injectors, etc. using the GS-911. All passed, no issues. Fuel pump would come on when the key was turned on.

Saw the fuel pump controller bypass cables online and the alternatives – make your own and hacking the pump controller. Since I am not fond of long bypass cables I gave the existing pump controller a 'circuit-board-ectomy' and wired up the pins directly to the plug per online information. Checked it with a multimeter to make sure I had continuity through the new wiring. All good. My thought is that with 47K miles on the bike this pump controller might have failed and if this modification fixed it fine, if not – this controller could possibly fail soon anyways, so it became my bypass. When I replace the controller this old modded controller will go in my spares and be way less to carry than a bypass cable.

Installed the hacked pump controller, and the bike still will not start – will pop on starting fluid as before, just will not start or run on fuel.

Next check is the fuel pressure to check the status on the pump. I popped the quick disconnect off the tank and plumbed in a fuel pressure gauge. Measured fuel pressure directly at the pump exit from the top of the tank, No pressure when the key was turned on, 78 PSI when I hit the start button. Pressure will drop just a bit and would hold steady at about 50 PSI – should be plenty for most FI systems.

Hooked up the GS-911 to scan the bike again and check the fuel pump on/off using the 911. Fuel pump on/off works fine, you can hear the pump run and shut off at the end of the test. Now the bike throws a fault code 10167 - “Output stage to Electronic Fuel Pump faulty”- which makes sense if it's probably looking for the fuel pump controller and its routine of cycling on/off ? – that's gone now. So not too concerned about that code – tell me if I'm wrong. Fuel pressure while running that test is the same – about 78 PSI on my gauge.

I did not measure fuel flow volume. With it not starting on fuel I think there is likely another cause more significant than fuel volume ?

The PO did take this bike through Mexico and some of Central America, but always maintained it well. Could there be crud in the tank? – sure, but the fuel pump is still putting out plenty of pressure. When the bike quit it did not feel or act like a plugged or failing fuel injector.

So next steps? Ruling out most electronic issues at the moment as the bike will start on starting fluid.

I understand the fuel pump controller would fail more commonly than the fuel pump – I have a Bosch pump ordered and also a Quantum kit with a pressure regulator and Mahle fuel filter – I have replaced in tank fuel pumps before on other bikes and can do that here – if needed.

If these parts are not needed for this repair these will go into my spares for the Tuk trip – I try and cover some of the 'trip ending single point of failure potential issues' with spares. I am also adding a new EWS and will replace the starter and possibly the alternator (at least the belt) before I go.

At 78 PSI as it sits I am not sure yanking the pump and replacing pump motor, filter, and pressure regulator will solve this... Comments?

Open to suggestions / thoughts / anyone have this issue before? What am I missing / overlooking?

Doubt a collapsed fuel line is the issue. Could something have plugged both injectors – sure. Maybe that's next – have them pressure and flow checked?

I will cross post this to another forum or two as I need to get it sorted. Yes, I can load the bike in my truck and take it to a BMW dealer if needed. I am in central Arkansas so those would be Memphis, Tennessee or up near Tulsa, Oklahoma. I will have a full day in it with shop diagnosis time – can do if needed or if this stumps everyone.

I will also post a resolution here to help out those who follow – nothing more irritating than finding your exact problem online in an older forum thread with no answers...

Thanks, Rusty

Last edited:
I think there is water in the gas tank. I would invest about $3 on the hunch and add a bottle of gas dryer. IsoHeet in the red bottle would be my choice, available at most auto parts stores, Walmart, and many convenience stores.

Welcome to the forum!
Any chance the gas tank venting isn’t working? This would include the appropriate hoses for smog/PCV etc.
maybe crack the gas cap and go for a ride?
Good luck.
Gary

Vent cap looks fine....

I have had a bike air lock on me before - had to crack the tank fill to get it to run, this one did not seem to have the same symptoms.

The GS-911 has a vent test, which I ran and you can hear the vent click open and close.

Just in case, I did try to start it with the fill cap open - no luck...

Water in gas?

I think there is water in the gas tank. I would invest about $3 on the hunch and add a bottle of gas dryer. IsoHeet in the red bottle would be my choice, available at most auto parts stores, Walmart, and many convenience stores.

Hadn't thought of that one - a good reminder - used Heet before on a few different rigs....

Will probably be pulling the gas tank fully off the bike and draining it completely to fully clean it.

I follow your logic though - bikes won't run on water! and gas floats on water, so the water will be in the bottom of the tank, where the pump inlet should be pulling from.

Hadn't thought of that one - a good reminder - used Heet before on a few different rigs....

Will probably be pulling the gas tank fully off the bike and draining it completely to fully clean it.

I follow your logic though - bikes won't run on water! and gas floats on water, so the water will be in the bottom of the tank, where the pump inlet should be pulling from.

I have seen it happen to various riders/bikes more times than I can count. When we travel I almost always have a bottle of IsoHeet with us.

After ruling out bad fuel, e.g. water or other in it, the one thing I didn’t see you mention is checking the flow pattern of the injectors themselves when starting.

CAREFULLY (might want to disable the ignition first (pull the connectors to all four on-plug coils)) then one at a time pull an injector from its throttle body and point it at a dark piece of cardboard about 4” away when attempting a start. Should see a nice even spray pattern. If all is good there I don’t think you have a fuelling problem.

I had a somewhat similar problem with intermittent cutting out. Turned out to be an ignition wire short up in the steering head area that a technician found. 2007 R1200GS.

Back