• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

? about winter gloves

C

CRUISIN

Greetings all, I have a question about winter gloves. I have been using the same tired old pair of Hot Fingers ski gloves since 1976. At the time, they were the best ski glove on the market. And I suppose 31 years of flawless service proved that to be true. But alas, I have finally worn holes in them and now need to replace them with a comparable glove for winter riding. Now, before you electrics guys start recommending this or that wired glove, I'm not into electric gear. My philosophy is that if it is cold enough to wear electric gear, then it is probably too cold to be riding any way. Besides with my old gloves, my lower limit for commuting to and from work (33 miles one way) was 25 degrees and dry conditions. Otherwise I drive the cage. Now here where I come from, mornings below 25 are so rare that I really didn't give up that many days to temperature alone. With that inmind, I cannot justify the cost of electrics to gain maybe 15 or 20 days of riding per year. All that being said, I'd really like some recommendations on good ski/snow mobile/motorcycle gloves that will be durable and keep my digits warm for those early morning rides. What say you.

With winter gloves I stay away from ski gloves because the ones made for motorcycling have less material in the palm of your hand. This allows a better feel on the clutch and brake. I also have heated grips.

The worst day with electrics is better than the very best day without a ride. :nono

Now, before you electrics guys start recommending this or that wired glove, I'm not into electric gear. :nono

With winter gloves I stay away from ski gloves because the ones made for motorcycling have less material in the palm of your hand. This allows a better feel on the clutch and brake.

Probably something to think about, but the Hot Fingers served me well for the time spent on the R75 from 1977 to 1980 and then on three oilheads from 2000 to now. They probably saw a total of about 1/4 of the miles on those bikes which comes to about 60K with the winter gloves in use.

I have BMW Winter Gloves. There are 3 years old, not sure if they make the same model anymore.
Very Warm.

Here is a link for a 13 glove shootout.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/cold_weather_glove_comparison/

Now ther's some advice I can use; thanks :thumb

Now, before you electrics guys start recommending this or that wired glove, I'm not into electric gear.

I know! I couldn't help but needle you though. :D I personally don't use electric gloves either -- never have, even when I was up in the NorthWet. I do use an electric jacket though when I ride into the night hours.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Olympia Ultima 1 gloves are both comfortable and warm. They are also available at a considerable discount from some of the online accessorie suppliers, I think I got mine for about $50 a couple of winters ago.

Mike in NJ

surfing

been surfing through the websites in the 13-glove comparison provided by sjbmw. Getting some really good ideas and leaning toward the Olympia showmobile gloves. They are built for extremely cold conditions of course and have a thinner lining on the palm thicker on the back of the hand. Seem like they might be exactly what I am looking for. Couldn't find the Ultima 1 on their website though.

I have a pair of gloves I bought from Cabela's (www.cabelas.com) a few years ago. They are XCR gloves ,Gor-tex, water proof, warm and not too bulky. The index fingers are close fitting, to fit in a trigger guard, that lets me use all my switches on the BMW. I use them on the bike, snow showing, sledding with my daughter,etc. They were not very expensive ( $ 40 ? ). I don't see them in the latest catalog but maybe if you called them they have something similar.

Now, if you don't have electrics, you might not experience the joy of pulling alongside a yahoo in a big SUV with an even bigger Harley sticker in the rear window as he realizes he's just a poseur.

I have heated grips and vest when needed but normally, the BMW gear with liner and the grips work fine. When it gets about 25F actual temp., then the heated vest comes out. As for gloves, I used last year my insulated winter cycle gloves with a silk liner.

This year, I'm gonna purchase the BMW winter gloves.

Don't forget proper foot gear. Gore-tex and insulation in a motorcycle boot is difficult to beat.

Have fun, and watch out for ice!

Randy Kasal

New enough!

Now why didn't I think of New Enough? They are only about 170 miles from me. If you take a printed page from their website you can try on anything that is listed as "in stock" meaning they have it in the warehouse and don't direct ship from the manufcturers.

Thanks for the reminder!

Olympia Windtex

Got them a few years ago. When it gets below freezing, I wear micro liners, too.

I have the Aerostich Elkskin Gauntlet gloves with the wool lining. Combined with my heated grips means I can ride (without electric clothing) well below freezing.

They stay warm even if they get wet, they dry out within 24 hours if they get soaked, and they're Aerostich, so they're well made and the company stands behinds it's products.

For really sloppy weather, I wear my Black Diamond Ice Climbing gloves. Gloves made for ice climbing are:

1. waterproof
2. warm
3. designed to provide maximum feel and dexterity - things we like while riding.

Anyone have experience with Held Gloves/

I have been looking at the Held Ice Breaker or Raindrop gloves. The "13 Cold-Weather Motorcycle Gloves Compared" site looks to be a little old, but seemed to be complimentary about the Held gloves. Has anyone out there had any experience with this brand of glove and/or can give a comparison with other brands winter gloves.

Got them a few years ago. When it gets below freezing, I wear micro liners, too.

Olympia Ultima 1 gloves

+1 Nice combination of price, quality and the little wiper blade is a plus although I hope I never have to use it. :clap

I had an old pair of Olympias that I loved, I don't think you'd go wrong with the brand.

I bought a pair of Tourmaster Winter Elites last year and am very happy with them. One great feature is the drawstring liner on the gauntlet cuff that keeps water from running back down into them when it's raining. The also have the shield wiper and two sets of velcro adjusters. They're a little bulky but not bad enough to be in the way.

When it's really lousy out, they're great. The only downside is that sometimes they're a little too warm on those 'tweener days when the summer gloves don't quite cut it.

I have the Aerostich Elkskin Gauntlet gloves with the wool lining. Combined with my heated grips means I can ride (without electric clothing) well below freezing.

They stay warm even if they get wet, they dry out within 24 hours if they get soaked, and they're Aerostich, so they're well made and the company stands behinds it's products.

For really sloppy weather, I wear my Black Diamond Ice Climbing gloves. Gloves made for ice climbing are:

1. waterproof
2. warm
3. designed to provide maximum feel and dexterity - things we like while riding.
dvandkq,
Which model of the Black Diamond gloves are you using?

BMW Winter Gore-Tex gloves - have not found a better pair yet. They are about 8 years old, not sure if they are still available.

I have been looking at the Held Ice Breaker or Raindrop gloves. The "13 Cold-Weather Motorcycle Gloves Compared" site looks to be a little old, but seemed to be complimentary about the Held gloves. Has anyone out there had any experience with this brand of glove and/or can give a comparison with other brands winter gloves.

I'm a big fan of Held. I'm extraordinarily fussy about gloves because if I can't use my hands, I can't work and no work means no eating. I'm happy to spend more money to protect my most valuable assets after my brain - my hands.

Here's what I look for in gloves, whether they're winter gloves or summer gloves.

Extra leather up the side of the palm, extending to the little finger. You'll be using that portion of your hands to steer if you fall off and are sliding.

Padding across the back of your hand. If you fall off and slap the back of your hand on the ground, you'll want this.

Leather across the heel of the palm. Put your hand on the ground like you're doing a pushup. That's where you want the leather.

A positive retention method. By this, I mean a strap or something that will lock the glove onto your hand. If you're sliding along with your hand trailing behind you and the glove slides off, things are going to get Real Bad real fast.

A longer gauntlet. Aside from the benefits this pays when fending off weather and drafts, it will protect your wrists. There are lots of delicate structures living in your wrist and they're very close to the surface. If you grind through the skin and into the bone, things will be very bad. Kevin Schwantz had a problem with his wrists after a crash, mostly related to a bone infection he got shortly after the crash.

I have a pair of BMW gloves that have all this stuff, plus a sort of phase change material inside that keeps them warm. It allows heat from the grips to get through, but the backs are insulated enough to keep wind off my hands.

In between these bulky guys and summer, I use a simple pair of glove liners inside my regular Held Racers (or whatever they're called). It'll get me down to about 35 or 40 with heated grips in relative comfort, but won't be protective enough for a long day of riding in chilly temps.

With regard to electrics, I regularly run mine in temps as high as 50F. If you're going to be out all day, you're going to be shedding calories of heat and will eventually wind up at a deficit. Electrics will allow you to put some of that heat back in your body and allow you to ride longer on chilly, but not cold days. Additionally, it will help your body realize that your core is warm, which will send blood back to your fingers and toes, helping you stay warmer with less gear.

Back