• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 Grand Coddiwomple registration is open!

There is a wiki page listing Colorado state highways 1 through 404. Unfortunately most the numbers are technical designation that overlap with other jurisdiction designations or have been retired or in some cases might have the state designation but have no actual signs listing the state highway number. :cry

However a couple of the rural counties off the Front Range have numerous roads with just County Road designations and are not listed as ST. or AVE. If those are accepted I should hit the 50 required. One has been scored :whistle but a great number remain unscored. which might be just a backlog with the judges - that's a lot of photos submitted!

I did have one rejected for not including the actual road in the photo, which upon re-reading the rules is fair enough. If the county road signs are rejected for being like a residential street intersection sign instead of a shield-like highway sign further along the road...well that seems to me like it is not as clear in the rules. But at the end of the day all judge's decisions are final. This is high stakes Coddiwompling ladies and gentlemen so lets put on our big boy and big girl pants.....perhaps not in that order...and deal with it.

Like joepayne1950 the distilleries have been a hoot to check out. The Front Range is a target rich environment for hipsters with an entrepreneurial dream. :rocker Between Fort Collins, Denver and Colorado Springs I think I can complete the Drink to 50 Challenge! :bottle

There are many county roads with signage that reads Road 48 or whatever and those are not acceptable and get rejected. Those are not clear in the rules. The are signs that say County E 19 St and those get rejected despite the actual word "County" on the signage. I too had one rejected because you could not see the actual road.

Oh well. It appears I will finish this challenge with a 1400 mile trip for the last three numbers. My wife thinks it is all stupid. She's probably right.

How long has it typically been taking to get pics scored lately? Through May and June, it was typically taking around a week, even during the national rally time. Now, I have pictures in the "ready to score" que that have been there for almost three weeks. I'm sure there must be a huge load on the judges but I am just wondering.

Send an email to the Coddiwomple people...the rules provide an email address for that.

How long has it typically been taking to get pics scored lately? Through May and June, it was typically taking around a week, even during the national rally time. Now, I have pictures in the "ready to score" que that have been there for almost three weeks. I'm sure there must be a huge load on the judges but I am just wondering.

I guess my answer is "just short of three weeks" as three of my submissions got scored today. The next set I submitted last week and are 500 submissions after my last set. As I said before, there definitely is a huge load of pics for the judges to go through. Patience is not one of my virtues.

The backlog dam has indeed broken. I got boatload of scores in today as well. I guess Greg and/or the scoring committee are back from vacation ;) I can confirm that the intersection street signs style of road maker is accepted as long as it follows all of the the stated conditions for the challenge, i.e. not a "St.", "Ave", etc. and shows the road and your bike (or your face) and your flag.

Looks like I will have 5 of my prior submissions rejected for not showing the road. They are still marked as "Being Scored" but in looking at the photos it is clear they lack a recognizable section of the road in frame.

The backlog dam has indeed broken. I got boatload of scores in today as well. I guess Greg and/or the scoring committee are back from vacation ;) I can confirm that the intersection street signs style of road maker is accepted as long as it follows all of the the stated conditions for the challenge, i.e. not a "St.", "Ave", etc. and shows the road and your bike (or your face) and your flag.

Looks like I will have 5 of my prior submissions rejected for not showing the road. They are still marked as "Being Scored" but in looking at the photos it is clear they lack a recognizable section of the road in frame.

Out of curiosity, what number range were your pics in? I was in the 5430's. I am waiting on some in the 5920's now.

Yesterday they were up to the 5500s. More came in this afternoon into the 5800s.

Got some of the expected rejections. But most were for the fact the sign said RD 30 and not CR 30 or WCR 30. (County Road or Weld County Road in this case). The County is very inconsistent with their nomenclature on their signs. :bluduh

Rereading the rules I can see the logic in rejecting RD and accepting CR.

Queue does seem to be growing

Just had a bunch of mine scored yesterday (yay!) but they're up to ~6960 so guessing folks have been uploading in earnest.

I've just skipped the road number angle, wasn't worth it for me. Did spend a few days down in Kentucky and Tennessee about 10 days ago. As you can imagine, was huge for the Ten Fifth's challenge. I'd done some around here (Virginia) but couldn't compare. Had a couple rejected for being "tasting room" rather than the distillery, fair enough. I don't drink so it's all cosmetic for me.

Really enjoyed the Ridge Line Challenge. Great pair of roads and was spaced such that there was nice riding between the photos.

There are many county roads with signage that reads Road 48 or whatever and those are not acceptable and get rejected. Those are not clear in the rules. The are signs that say County E 19 St and those get rejected despite the actual word "County" on the signage
The challenge specifically states you must
"count to 50 using Interstate, Federal, State, and County highway signs."

"Um...actually,"
The technically correct term (which is, as we know the best form of correctness) would seem to be "route marker" and not "highway sign". Per the Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices:

guide signs.jpg

Yes, I am retired. Why do you ask?

Well, if you want to get all technical...

The challenge references highway signs.

The rules define highway thusly:
4(d) “Highway” means an interstate, federal, state, provincial or county highway.

Which admittedly is somewhat circular in that highway means... highway... /shrug In all fairness though, it seems pretty obvious that it does not mean 15th Street, or Rural Road 23.

Finally you have the rule to end other rules: 8(a) All decisions of the judges are final.

All in all, I enjoy these challenges as a way to venture out with a nominal "goal" to achieve. I don't worry too much if I have a submission rejected for what I consider a bad call by the judges. It's free, they're volunteers, and I enjoyed the ride.

Now about that Highway 21 submission y'all rejected.... :D

I hit 2500 points yesterday and it is likely where I will stop since my bike, an R1250RS, was new last year and I went to 1250 points. Now on year two it is logical that I double the points hence 2500. Next year I guess I shoot for 3750.

I only have three more roads to complete all 50 of the Count to Fifty Challenge but they are 700 miles away in New Mexico and I don't think I can manage the three days I would need before the end of October to do the 1400 mile trip. However, by completing I would land on 5150 points and that seems so appropriate for a Grand Coddiwomple score. Hmmm.

The results are in!

That winner is Bob Fulton! Bob finished with a grand total of 23,300 points! Congratulations, Bob! In second place was Terence Hamill, with 20,100 points, and in third was last year’s winner, Sharron Zoyhofski, coming in with 19,600 points.
Some cool and interesting numbers:

We received a total of 10,348 submissions. That’s a lot of photos that were submitted and judged.

Of the 389 riders who registered, 169 finished the contest with the 300 minimum points needed.

The challenge with the most submissions was The Count to Fifty challenge, with 4,070 submissions. You all took no prisoners with this challenge, that’s for sure! It was very popular!

A huge thank you to the Demented Instigator and the entire Grand Coddiewomple Committee and volunteers. I had a blast participating and am eagerly looking forward to the 2024 edition.

Back