• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 Grand Coddiwomple registration is open!

I’m outraged! Annie got a lovely decal of the 2023 Coddiwomple logo along with a flag and rules in her packet. I got bupkis, diddly squat, zip, zero and I’m outraged, I tell you. The responsible parties can expect to hear from my attorneys, Shyster, Finagle and Swindle.

I reached out on this point, was encouraged to open a private window on my browser and it would work. Apparently there's a re-direct in the sign-up workflow which some browsers don't like. FWIW, rather than doing that I cleared cookies from "stacker.app" and that worked as well.

If anyone is having trouble registering - and some are - then try these suggestions, or email coddiwomple@bmwmoa.org for help. Also, very unfortunately, some of the Coddiwomple mailings have not been received. This is outside the control of the Coddiwomple Team, but we do offer our apologies, and expect that everyone will have their packets very soon.

I have raced to 850 points and should hit my desired 1250 before June. I self impose my own rules that my participation and points earned must equal the displacement of my bike. I have only been doing the Count to Fifty Challenge. In all reality, there are only ten roads that are about 700 miles away. If things worked out in terms of time, I could see myself finishing all 50. Maybe I will and take the bonus 2500 points. Hmm.

Last edited:
I have raced to 850 points and should hit my desired 1250 before June. I self impose my own rules that my participation and points earned must equal the displacement of my bike. I have only been doing the Count to Fifty Challenge. In all reality, there are only ten roads that I have not found number designations for in California or Arizona. If things worked out in terms of time, I could see myself finishing all 50. Maybe I will.

:)

math vs naming?

Struggling a bit with the "Count to Fifty" challenge. Curious if it's happening for anyone else --- by the time I see the signs, I don't always have time to slow/stop safely. A few times I've had time to stop but nowhere safe to do it.

Thinking I may have preferred the Spelling Challenges as I could be certain where I was planning to stop. Wondering if it's just a "me" thing......

Struggling a bit with the "Count to Fifty" challenge. Curious if it's happening for anyone else --- by the time I see the signs, I don't always have time to slow/stop safely. A few times I've had time to stop but nowhere safe to do it.

Thinking I may have preferred the Spelling Challenges as I could be certain where I was planning to stop. Wondering if it's just a "me" thing......

@timojhen I started with a large paper map of my state and just looked for all of the route numbers 50 and under. I then plotted several routes in an app (I use Scenic) and added stops at the places where I entered one of the numbered routes. The stop is a reminder to start looking for the number sign. It does get kind of sketchy on fast roads with minimal shoulders, so be careful. I’ve been doing well so far and only had to double back a couple of times. My flag is on my tank bag, so if I stop just before the sign and lean back, I can get a photo of the flag and the sign without having to get off of the bike. This Coddiwomple winds up being a good excuse to explore all of my state (Maryland) to find the obscure route signs.

I just looked at Google Maps and head to the roads. The intersections are usually where the signs are. I am at 1250 points on the Count to Fifty Challenge. I will complete all 50 within the next few weeks.

Last edited:
I just looked at Google Maps and head to the roads. The intersections are usually where the signs are. I am at 1250 points on the Count to Fifty Challenge. I will complete all 50 within the next few weeks.

I need to retract my last statements. I had 300 point rejected so I am actually only at 950 points right now. The rejections were because the signs had Ave in them and so it was assumed that they were not county roads even though the beginning of the numbering had Co in it (county). East Yuma County in Arizona has a direct numbering system that should have lent itself well to the Count to Fifty Challenge but alas, not so. The signage in the middle of Compton will be acceptable. The higher numbers (40-50) will be a three day ride and I am not thinking it is worth doing to just be in the middle of the pack; it would provide personal satisfaction that I fully completed a challenge. We'll see. Regardless, I will have the personal target of 1250 fulfilled next weekend so there is that.

I'm thinking I need to get back to a focus of posting pictures on Advrider instead of just taking pictures of my bike by signage.

Count to Fifty - attempt 2 upcoming....

Thanks. Does seem putting more thought / planning into it would do the deal. I've still got plenty on the easier challenges but I'll give it another shot.

Can relate to the disappointment of the pictures being rejected. I had a few rejected last year as they weren't explicit on state being obvious. Fair enough, it'd been a 8 day ride to get them so couldn't repeat that to correct my errors. Glad it's for fun not livelihood! ;)

I’ve been wompling so hard that my bike had a nervous breakdown 150 miles from home! When it died and I took the seat off, I saw steam coming out of the formerly sealed battery. I’m guessing a reg rec failure, but it’s now awaiting fixing at the local powersports place. Adding insult to injury, the breakdown happened not too long after I had failed to find a sign for the elusive route 44 in West Virginia. Google shows the number, but there’s no sign on the road itself or on the approaches. Now if I can get my Vespa over to Skyline Drive, I might be able to continue the womple and even get a few nice hikes in. Then I can search out a better version of route 44.

I hit my original 1250 personal target points despite quite a few rejections of pictures of roads signs that were deemed unacceptable because of the use of "ave" or "st" on them (even though the signage started with "county"), and another that was very similar to acceptable ones except you cannot see the road to prove I was on the road (despite it was clearly at an intersection with one that was accepted, taken at the same time). 1250 became my target since it matches the displacement of my bike, a R1250RS. Kind of stupid, I know, but then again that might be the whole purpose of the coddiwomple.

Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 6.45.04 AM.png

Now I am debating whether to continue to finish the Counting to Fifty Challenge and go to 5150 points or just stay with my personal target that I started with this year and hit last year. To finish, I will have to get myself back to the Bay Area for the elusive #37 and #48. I have the rest targeted and very obtainable should I decide to go on. The question is whether hitting 5150 is worth the $200-$300 involved in travel. It's not like 5150 will put me at the top of the game, it will just most likely be an upper middle placement as opposed to a lower to mid middle placement amongst all contestants; the value of the personal satisfaction must be quantified to answer this question. I am leaning towards getting back to riding with other purposes and taking more interesting and redeeming pictures than road sign numbers. I think writing this posting is helping me clarify the direction I should go . . .

Last edited:

I was out today gathering some photos and I felt much safer taking photos from a parking lot last year instead of on the side of roads with traffic going by. I'll never get as many points this year.

I have been using street view to look for the highway signs, getting the co-ordinates and creating a gpx export for my favorite nav site. Here in Michigan, as a general rule, you can count on a route sign after a major, controlled intersection. So far, using these two methods has worked for me.. Maybe they'll work for you.

I have been using street view to look for the highway signs, getting the co-ordinates and creating a gpx export for my favorite nav site. Here in Michigan, as a general rule, you can count on a route sign after a major, controlled intersection. So far, using these two methods has worked for me.. Maybe they'll work for you.

Michigan has very accessible numbers for this challenge as does Wisconsin. Here in California, it is more hit and miss. The roads are numbered on the map but not so much on the street. In Arizona, they use a lot of county avenue and county street designations and the judges do not accept those. Regardless, I am about to complete but will have to ride to New Mexico to get 25, 37, and 48. Oh well.

10 1/5ths1

No way I can get the count to 50 near home. Too much work and too little time to get all the numbers needed, but this event lets me explore something new to me - local distilleries!

Shucks, now I am motivated to ride the BRP to get some points there as well. Never done the whole thing, so this is the year to do it.

I think the Grand Coddiwomple is super kool and I appreciate the crew putting it together.

There is a wiki page listing Colorado state highways 1 through 404. Unfortunately most the numbers are technical designation that overlap with other jurisdiction designations or have been retired or in some cases might have the state designation but have no actual signs listing the state highway number. :cry

However a couple of the rural counties off the Front Range have numerous roads with just County Road designations and are not listed as ST. or AVE. If those are accepted I should hit the 50 required. One has been scored :whistle but a great number remain unscored. which might be just a backlog with the judges - that's a lot of photos submitted!

I did have one rejected for not including the actual road in the photo, which upon re-reading the rules is fair enough. If the county road signs are rejected for being like a residential street intersection sign instead of a shield-like highway sign further along the road...well that seems to me like it is not as clear in the rules. But at the end of the day all judge's decisions are final. This is high stakes Coddiwompling ladies and gentlemen so lets put on our big boy and big girl pants.....perhaps not in that order...and deal with it.

Like joepayne1950 the distilleries have been a hoot to check out. The Front Range is a target rich environment for hipsters with an entrepreneurial dream. :rocker Between Fort Collins, Denver and Colorado Springs I think I can complete the Drink to 50 Challenge! :bottle

Back