• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Greetings from the Queen City!

joepayne1950

New member here from Charlotte, NC - The Queen City!

Long time rider (since '79) and have now owned four BMWs since 2000. Really happy to be able to enjoy such fine machines and I am looking forward to this forum and BMWMOA events. I registered for the 2023 Grand Coddiwomple over the weekend and plan to work on those challenges starting now :)

No Pic of BMW #1, a red 2000 F650GS. Before this bike I had numerous other bikes, but here's the BMWs I do have pics of:

#2 2007 R1200GS; #3 2002 R1150GS; #4 R1150GSA (the 3rd times a charm as far as full-size GS goes- this bike is my favorite!):
IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0067.jpg

Where ya been lately, Joe? Been AWOL for quite a spell? Did U at least attend the MOA Rally in VA?

Guess you’re pretty sold on the capabilities of the GS brand... :brow The point is you’ve got so many options with a GS!

Good Luck on your entry into the CoddiWomple competition. We did it for the first two years, and enjoyed the quest {if not the judges & their rules’ interpretations}.

Cheers from Rocket City and the Tennessee River valley. We’re likely of the same graduating cohort... :wave

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K-GT ————— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Welcome joepayne1950. Interested as to why the GSA is your favorite of the three. Thanks for the pics.

The GSA is, quite subjectively, my favorite due to its set up (skip to DETAILS if you wanna go fast). It is a totality of the parts working together.

For perspective, I loved the 2007, but it did have some unique issues which caused us to part ways somewhere around 50,000 miles. I'd try another Hexhead or Camhead with no worries.

Having several bikes in the barn, I went without a BMW for a little while. Then I replaced the 2007 with a very good friend's 2002 1150GS. What a fine bike - I really loved that bike! Sold it due to mental illness I think, something about trying out lighter dual sports for a while. Don't get me wrong, the dual sports were awesome and the adventures were great, but I felt limited and I missed my Oilhead.

I was casually looking around for another Oilhead when I found the 2002 GSA. It was a bike I had dreamed of for many years, so I picked it up without hesitation.

DETAILS: Here's the set up that makes it my favorite: Smooth, smooth suspension, possibly due to that extra stroke length (sitting on almost new OEM GSA shocks). A plus 0.5" Sargent seat gives great ergonomics for me - comfy knees, comfy bum. I really like the enduro transmission (very subjective, I'm like a doting father). The larger tank does indeed provide better wind management (I am not sensitive per se, but at highway speeds it makes a difference). The Handguard extenders from TT also help with wind management and the now unobtainium Cee Bailey screen is the cherry on top (I also really like CalSci as seen on previous '02). Finally, tiny detail, the twin 45L panniers on the narrow TT racks are really kool! I can pack everything I will never need :)

Only one downside: I am 5'7" and she is t-a-l-l. I feel a little like I'm back in the woods of my youth riding my dad's ol' two-stroke. No big deal, and I always ran previous GS seats in highest slot without solid footing. I just do the Capt. Morgan at stops and carry on.

Joe

Hi Phil!

I missed MOA Rally. Had plans to go and to also visit family in VA, but that dang ol' work hemmed me up.

I heard it was a great event and I have reviewed a lot of pictures and reports with a bit of envy.

The GSA is, quite subjectively, my favorite due to its set up (skip to DETAILS if you wanna go fast). It is a totality of the parts working together.

For perspective, I loved the 2007, but it did have some unique issues which caused us to part ways somewhere around 50,000 miles. I'd try another Hexhead or Camhead with no worries.

Having several bikes in the barn, I went without a BMW for a little while. Then I replaced the 2007 with a very good friend's 2002 1150GS. What a fine bike - I really loved that bike! Sold it due to mental illness I think, something about trying out lighter dual sports for a while. Don't get me wrong, the dual sports were awesome and the adventures were great, but I felt limited and I missed my Oilhead.

I was casually looking around for another Oilhead when I found the 2002 GSA. It was a bike I had dreamed of for many years, so I picked it up without hesitation.

DETAILS: Here's the set up that makes it my favorite: Smooth, smooth suspension, possibly due to that extra stroke length (sitting on almost new OEM GSA shocks). A plus 0.5" Sargent seat gives great ergonomics for me - comfy knees, comfy bum. I really like the enduro transmission (very subjective, I'm like a doting father). The larger tank does indeed provide better wind management (I am not sensitive per se, but at highway speeds it makes a difference). The Handguard extenders from TT also help with wind management and the now unobtainium Cee Bailey screen is the cherry on top (I also really like CalSci as seen on previous '02). Finally, tiny detail, the twin 45L panniers on the narrow TT racks are really kool! I can pack everything I will never need :)

Only one downside: I am 5'7" and she is t-a-l-l. I feel a little like I'm back in the woods of my youth riding my dad's ol' two-stroke. No big deal, and I always ran previous GS seats in highest slot without solid footing. I just do the Capt. Morgan at stops and carry on.

Joe

Thanks for the insights.

Back