• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How hot is too hot?

Official high in Phoenix today was 111F. That's at the airport. It was 106 at our place. We're about 25 miles from the airport out away from the so-called heat islands so it's usually 5 or 6 deg cooler out here, year round. At 8:00 PM it's still over 100 at the airport, about 96 here. Humidity is <10%. Forecast is 118 for tomorrow so we'll probably see 112 or so at our place. Way too hot to ride, for me anyway, altho I was out yesterday in about 100 deg test riding my Honda CT90 that I'm finishing up an engine rebuild on.

108 by me today.

I spent many days doing day trips out of Riyadh and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia while I was working there in the late 1970's. While the temperature was well over 100 degrees every day Riyadh had very low humidity while Jeddah was brutal. I rode mostly in jeans and a long sleeve shirt, no helmet. I don't remember heat ever being an issue, I was pretty well acclimatized. Today I have far less tolerance for high temps.

i-9Hjb7nt.jpg

Saw 116F registered on the dash while stuck in traffic in Las Vegas last year. That was uncomfortable. Had to turn the engine off between 1-2 car movements just to keep it from overheating. I'd say that was too hot - but I really had no choice - to get somewhere cooler I had to ride there.

I've got a nice piece of titanium and a scar above it right on top of my forearm to remind me to stay hydrated.

I also agree that it's all subjective and a matter of individual preference. That said, when ambient temperature is warmer than body temperature, you're going to be less hot sitting still than you'll be in the wind.

I've had good results with LD Comfort products, but individual results may differ. Whatever you choose to wear, moisture-wicking fabrics are your friend- keep the moisture away from your skin, and this helps you stay comfy when it's cold too.

I don't ride as much (sometimes hardly at all) in the summer, as it's both very hot and humid where I live and I hate that convection-sauna feeling...but then I'm also the first generation in my family to grow up in the south, and I'm also a little flabbier than I'd prefer to be- and flab is insulation.

Anyway, I hope the trip to Hamburg isn't too toasty. Gonna meander up into Canada along the way and the forecast there looks great so far. :)

How Hot is too Hot?

Since I've been living in AZ, I know I've acclimatized. I ride until it reaches 110 even with wicking gear, a cooling vest and a Camelbak! At that temp, I know I'm at my limits.

And on another hot note, it was 103 in St. Louis today!! Even the mid west can't escape the heat.

And on another hot note, it was 103 in St. Louis today!! Even the mid west can't escape the heat.

?????????

Yesterdays high in STL was 88 yesterday.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/st-louis/historic?ref=driverlayer.com

And there were very few riders on the road yesterday and I'm pretty sure none of them intended to sleep in a tent last night (which was relatively cool)

I'm driving to Asheville, NC today, 555 miles one way to pick up a F 800 GS (hey I can be a GS Giant again), I will look for folks on bikes.

To be an MOA supporter doesn't require blind allegiance and saying everything is 100% good.

Some rally sites are better than others. I believe the Vermont Rally still holds the record for attendance. Rally attendance analysis requires looking at more than the number of attendees. But it also, by itself, means something. Looking at recent past rallys, heat or heat and humidity have been a problem. Post rally comments from the PA and MO rallys were pretty clear. Not saying you can grin and bear it and have a good time. Some folks will consider the heat and decided they don't want to.

IMO Continuing to be locked into the middle of summer is hurting more than it is helping.

YMMV

Last edited:
114 yesterday riding home from work but I only have a short trip. Southern Utah is almost as warm as AZ right now but I have gone into the mountains a few weeks ago and was met with 68 degree temperatures and some snow on Cedar mountain.

Back