• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How hot is too hot?

Agreed.

While summer-like weather is needed to accommodate the trans-continental travel of many members that wish to attend (and may live a great distance away from the named rally site), it does seem odd we willingly separate the USA into broad, geographic regions from which to select a site, but cannot be equally generous with a 'date range' rather than the same week in July every year?!

Rotate rallies thru regions - I get that, and continue to investigate new sites - yes, "variety is the spice of life." But why not propose that our annual rally will occur sometime between, say, May 15th and September 15th, and factor in favorable weather within the pre-determined region to dictate when.

Announce it early, so advance planning/vacation selecting/vendor scheduling can occur, and see what happens?!

An experiment that fails can be corrected.

An experiment never even considered? "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Awesome post! You said what I have been thinking since I was cooked into submission by the heat and humidity of Bloomsburg (108 degrees, are you kidding me?). Granted, that was an unusual year for heat in the region, but why take the chance?
I may be some kind of mutant, but I find it much easier to remain comfortable when the temperature is unusually cool(put on a sweatshirt) than hot. I will take 50 over 90 any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially while wearing all the gear. I guess that it is just what we are individually used to.
I live 30 minutes from the Hamburg rally site and had planned to volunteer and be there all week, that may have to change. Looking at the forecast, I am getting very pensive about being in survival mode just to remain physically comfortable so that I may enjoy the experience.
This area will often go an entire summer without experiencing a 90 degree day. Looks like there are 4 days forecast next week to be at or above 90. I hope that they are wrong!

Best wishes to all attending Das Rally and safe travels.

Mesh gear

Johnson City was to hot / followed by Bloomsburg.

Bloomsburg made Johnson City seem cool. I have NEVER felt the need for mesh gear until Bloomsburg. I saw the heat was going to break by Tuesday after the Rally, so I took off to Philly. I left there on Tuesday morning after enjoying the city. It was still hot, but not above 100. Riding back to NC was still hot. I plan on leaving here Saturday for CA. and will go across a lot of hot parts of the USA. I am not as good as I used to be in the heat; but I can tolerate it and I respect it.

This summer in Phoenix we have had 20 days of 110 or more. Might set a record this year with at least 60 days or so to go this summer. We ride early in the morning for a breakfast up in Payson or Pine getting back around 10-10:30 in the morning. While everyone is snickering, our turn will come in Dec to March.

bob

Bloomsburg made Johnson City seem cool. I have NEVER felt the need for mesh gear until Bloomsburg. I saw the heat was going to break by Tuesday after the Rally, so I took off to Philly. I left there on Tuesday morning after enjoying the city. It was still hot, but not above 100. Riding back to NC was still hot. I plan on leaving here Saturday for CA. and will go across a lot of hot parts of the USA. I am not as good as I used to be in the heat; but I can tolerate it and I respect it.

For the past week, we've had atypical high humidity here in Central PA. High temps are, nominally, 90, but the windows are covered with condensation until 8A, or so.

It's actually more uncomfortable than the 2011 Heat Dome or the Flame Cars

This summer in Phoenix we have had 20 days of 110 or more. Might set a record this year with at least 60 days or so to go this summer. We ride early in the morning for a breakfast up in Payson or Pine getting back around 10-10:30 in the morning. While everyone is snickering, our turn will come in Dec to March.

bob
I think the record is 34 days of 110 degrees or more. I don't think we will break the record this year. But the summer is not over yet.

Bill

For the past week, we've had atypical high humidity here in Central PA. High temps are, nominally, 90, but the windows are covered with condensation until 8A, or so.

It's actually more uncomfortable than the 2011 Heat Dome or the Flame Cars

I was just commenting to somebody yesterday that this summer in PA has been HOT. No, o rmaybe one day with temps at or above 100 degrees (F), yet it has been consistently hot, with temps in the mid to high 90s, for far longer than *usual*. In the past, our typical pattern has been hot weather in spurts, with cool(er) days interspersed across the span of summer time. Not this year, tho- just plain HOT for weeks and weeks and weeks on end.

We spent this past weekend up in PA's Laurel Highlands, riding at the Roadrunner Magazine Touring Weekend. Hot as blazes, all 670 some-odd miles of it. We kept the AC in our hotel room set around 68-70 degrees. The hotel staff had the AC in our room set at 60 degrees (!) so it was ice cold when we rolled in on Thursday.

Funny: a friend of mine posted on f*ce book that he is "in a relationship with: AIR CONDITIONER", which gave Cynthia & me a good laugh when we got home on Sunday.

I was just commenting to somebody yesterday that this summer in PA has been HOT. No, o rmaybe one day with temps at or above 100 degrees (F), yet it has been consistently hot, with temps in the mid to high 90s, for far longer than *usual*. In the past, our typical pattern has been hot weather in spurts, with cool(er) days interspersed across the span of summer time. Not this year, tho- just plain HOT for weeks and weeks and weeks on end.

Same thing here in upstate New York. We were lucky the rally in Hamburg wasn't bad. It's been much hotter since the rally.

I passed on the Bloomsburg Rally: just too hot. And the hot spell that week of the rally finally got me to get central air installed at my house. It was 104F in my hometown, the hottest it's ever been, at least while I've been here: more than 33 years...

Harry

Same thing here in upstate New York. We were lucky the rally in Hamburg wasn't bad. It's been much hotter since the rally.

I passed on the Bloomsburg Rally: just too hot. And the hot spell that week of the rally finally got me to get central air installed at my house. It was 104F in my hometown, the hottest it's ever been, at least while I've been here: more than 33 years...

Harry

I'm in agreement with you and ricochet. I think the issue has been the lack on rain, which seems to make it seem hotter. While the temp was great for the Hamburg rally, you could definitely see the lack of rain in the brown turf. Interestingly, I'll bet our western visitors didn't even notice.

I'm in agreement with you and ricochet. I think the issue has been the lack on rain, which seems to make it seem hotter. While the temp was great for the Hamburg rally, you could definitely see the lack of rain in the brown turf. Interestingly, I'll bet our western visitors didn't even notice.

You are correct, the fairgrounds looked very green to me. Sharing my photos with friends and family they say the same thing.:)

You are correct, the fairgrounds looked very green to me. Sharing my photos with friends and family they say the same thing.:)

We would call that parched. Grass is meant to green and mowed, at least, every week until early August.

HA, just for the record, I personally am not a fan of grass! Well, grass itself is OK; I guess it's mowing that I'm actually disliking. :banghead

August, when it finally has been hot long enough, and it gets dry enough that the grass slows its growth to a snail's pace and the need to mow abates somewhat, is my favorite time of the spring/summer/fall!

Fire, eh? Hey, I'm up for it, but those pesky neighbors (we live in suburbia) may tend to disagree with that tactic.
Go figure, right? :scratch

HA, just for the record, I personally am not a fan of grass! Well, grass itself is OK; I guess it's mowing that I'm actually disliking. :banghead

August, when it finally has been hot long enough, and it gets dry enough that the grass slows its growth to a snail's pace and the need to mow abates somewhat, is my favorite time of the spring/summer/fall!

Fire, eh? Hey, I'm up for it, but those pesky neighbors (we live in suburbia) may tend to disagree with that tactic.

Spring in the sticks can be fun when the Amish decide to burn-off their fields. Those horse-drawn tanker trucks are pretty darn useless:)

Last edited:

The only reason I have a lawn, is that it came with the house. :dance

Having BMW MOA National normally the second or third week of July means we ordinarily HAVE to ride in hot weather. When the National Rally was in Missouri I rode in 108 degree weather coming through Teddy Roosevelt National Park in the Dakotas (coming from Fairbanks, AK). You just have to have mesh gear and keep hydrated. You can't "wait it out". I suppose you could sleep during the day (which would be difficult in that temperature if you are camping) and ride at night, but that's a ton of no fun. I'd find myself buying a liter of water and drink half and have the other half to pour over my mesh gear while I was riding to get some evaporate cooling.

I'd find myself buying a liter of water and drink half and have the other half to pour over my mesh gear while I was riding to get some evaporate cooling.

Unless you go the personal AC system route, your approach is about all you can do.

I still can't believe we buy water....

Hot hot hot

Unless you go the personal AC system route, your approach is about all you can do.

I still can't believe we buy water....

When I was a kid many if not most towns had a town well with a tin cup hanging on the pump proper etiquette if more than one person their the one holding the pump handle filled the cup offered first drink to other person of course 2nd person got colder water

Last edited:
Back