• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How hot is too hot?

coolrogue1

I thought about going for a ride yesterday, but once I stuck my head and unfortunately the rest of my body outside my air conditioned citadel, I said no way and promptly receded back inside, and thought maybe tomorrow or next October.....It was 115 F here yesterday and supposed to be 114 today, I think the bike needs a rest.....

Too hot is too relative. If you think it's going to get too hot then ride in the morning or evening, or go for shorter rides. And you can always wear something that will keep you cool like a cool vest.

But, that's the nature of the Sonoran Desert.

G.

Last edited:
Those in the south ask how can we stand to have 3 months every winter we can't ride, when they have 4 months they can't either.

Then there's those of us in the Pacific Northwet where we can and do ride year around. But I have to admit that 80F is getting almost too hot for me. :)

Here...this will cool you down.

IMG_5445.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
California legislated that outdoor workers be protected from heat illnesses and I just went through the mandatory corporate training course.

Given the extreme summer temperatures we're seeing nationwide I think it would be a good idea to familiarize yourselves the warning signs associated with heat exhaustion and the more severe heat stroke and learn to use the heat index table.

Riding at 60mph may feel cool but we're subjecting our bodies to a lot of water loss at the same time. And it doesn't just apply to "workers", we play hard and in our exuberance to excel in sports they may try to power through heat discomfort; deadly consequence can occur.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillness/index.html?utm_source=Twitter

As humidity and temperature climb, trouble sets in. Keep in mind that this relative temperature/humidity indes is for shady conditions!

heatchart.png

source> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/?n=heatindex

Excellent article from Iron Butt magazine about keeping cool when it's really hot: Long Distance Riding in Hot Weather. It's long-ish and technical-ish but I found it worth the slog.

Takeaways:
  • HYDRATE!
  • Mesh gear is bad over about 93 degrees.
  • Proper use of LDComfort or equivalent gear is pretty much the only way to keep cool.

Last edited:
Excellent article from Iron Butt magazine about keeping cool when it's really hot: Long Distance Riding in Hot Weather. It's long-ish and technical-ish but I found it worth the slog.

Takeaways:
  • HYDRATE!
  • Mesh gear is bad over about 93 degrees.
  • Proper use of LDComfort or equivalent gear is pretty much the only way to keep cool.
I always take articles that recommend a specific product with a grain of salt. Although I do agree with the points about mesh gear and evaporative cooling, I just don't like the recommending a specific product even when they say....or similar....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Those in the south ask how can we stand to have 3 months every winter we can't ride, when they have 4 months they can't either.

Still prefer too hot than too cold:wave

I would venture acclimation to conditions rather than location is a bigger issue. You can't live and work in climate controlled environments then romp across the landscape exposed to the elements and expect to enjoy the ride. If you are not going outdoors and training the body and mind for warmer riding conditions ....well, that's on you.
I spent most of my career outside and just as much it seems nowadays....just on my schedule and preference now.

If I am traveling through high heat areas, I just stay on top of hydration and meals and just take more breaks. You get heat stress and all sorts of things go wrong quickly.
If I want to just go goof around on a short ride,I just don't do it in the heat of the day if practical around August...mornings and evenings no problemo.

I wear less mesh than I did a few years back. One 100+° West TX run with a wet vest
that dried in about 4 miles made me try something else.

When it comes to heat, it's what your body can take. Last August, I rode down to FL and back - a week of ATGATT - averaged 108 for days - no problem, but that's me.

The bike will be fine - endures temps way beyond ambient in normal use.

As for cold, a different story: once the road and tires are basically frozen, no business being out there.

By then, you're just a roving accident looking for a place to crash. :violin

Not that big a deal on four tires, where sidewall traction is not needed - on two wheels, deadly.

Last edited:
I really don't want to go riding when the temp is over 90 degrees, but I have on occasion. However, 95 degrees is an absolute no unless I'm already out and about, then I don't have much of a choice.

This is too hot!

Texas can be very unforgiving place and our group limits group rides during the 100 days of summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day). Although we live here and ride here it is difficult to acclimate to this heat and as we are all aware BMW riders tend to be on the higher end of the age demographics. Living here we tend to honor the heat and know how quickly our physical condition can change when exposed to the numerous heat variables outlined in the excellent Iron Butt Association article. The heat may tax us to a point that might reveal some unknown health condition a rider is not aware of. I do ride about every day that I am home but usually short trips and regular cooling and hydrating sessions. I saw this article and thought of this thread since I have been following the posts. A sad story below.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/06/death-valleys-heat-blamed-motorcyclists-death-nearly-claims-french-woman

image.jpeg

Texas can be very unforgiving place and our group limits group rides during the 100 days of summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day). Although we live here and ride here it is difficult to acclimate to this heat and as we are all aware BMW riders tend to be on the higher end of the age demographics.
And y'all are in the cooler part of the state:lol :stick

As I mentioned, you have to acclimate gradually, no matter the age.Have neighbors older than me that are outside tending ranches and full of steam...even in August.

We have to exit an re-enter thru the Permian Basin or Sonoran desert when traveling west...just know in July and August it's a game you have to manage well.

Bloomsburg, PA July 2011

anomaly :laugh hey, it's your home state!

Kinda chuckle how some folks can't wait until they can finally get out on the road after a harsh winter...then jump forward to it's too hot rapidly:dunno

We had 90 straight something days in the 100's in 2011...still enjoyed the riding:dance

anomaly :laugh hey, it's your home state!

Kinda chuckle how some folks can't wait until they can finally get out on the road after a harsh winter...then jump forward to it's too hot rapidly:dunno

We had 90 straight something days in the 100's in 2011...still enjoyed the riding:dance

OK, you tell Mr. Glaves it wasn't hot in Bloomsburg........:)

Bobogoshen

How about too hot for the bike? We hit 90 two weeks ago and my K1200GT was in the red zone (!) after a few minutes of stop and go city traffic. It slowly dropped after 20 miles of easy highway cruising but immediately returned to a red warning just by climbing the 800' elevation rise( over 4 miles) to my house.
Brought it to the dealer (running hot in the red again after 10 minutes of stop and go) but they found no error codes or anything amiss (and couldn't get it to overheat by riding it around in the cooler weather they had when they finally got around to looking at it) These bikes are designed to run when it's summer aren't they? What do you suppose is wrong that the dealer service people couldn't find in 1 1/2 hours of labor?

Back