• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picked up a nail

BigTim

Dad Nabbit
If history was ever known to repeat its self this is it. For the second time in a row my new Metzler 880 picked up a nail / drywall screw with less than 1000 miles on it. Different house, different driveway etc. so its not the location but holy cow what are the chances?

When this happened before I had a local indy shop plug it. They did a great job and I ran that rear tire for another 14k without a hitch. Now that shop is gone and some of the other local shops "don't do that anymore" So with the success I had before and being the thrifty type I would like to try to plug it again. Here in lays my need. If memory is correct it seems the last plug was a round rubber type that was pushed in forming two side by side pieces. They were pretty round , not like the wavey/curley types I see in some of the temp kits.

Since these are steel belted tires I need something that will not be cut by the belts. Does anyone have an idea on how to proceed. And please leave out the comments about just buying a new tire I would like serious opinions about repairing this tire please.

Thanks for any help!!

While I'm not familiar with the plug that you describe, I can vouch for the Stop and Go repair kit. I too, picked up a nail in a new Metzler. I used the Stop and Go kit and said tire is now due to be replaced.:clap

Any flexible plug that fills the hole has the potential to be cut by the tire's steel cords. Sometimes a plug works, sometimes it doesn't.

The most secure "repair"is, as you acknowledge, replacement of the tire. That's way hard to do when a near-new tire is involved.

The best repair is done by removing the tire from the wheel, and fitting a flat self-vulcanizing patch on the inside the tire. Many of these have a rubber tail extending from the middle of the patch; the tail fits through the hole, but because of the flat area of patch that surrounds the tail, the tail is not solely responsible for sealing in the air.

For don't-demount-the-tire repairs, I think the best is made with the sticky strings that are forced into the hole from the outside. The Stop-and-Go rubber plugs are a bit less dependable.

I carry a Stop-and-Go tool and the sticky strings....and a compressor. The last time this happened to me - 45 miles after a new rear tire on my R1100RSL - I demounted it and patched the hole from the inside.

Has anyone used the Stop-n-Go tire plugger? Any reviews?

Greg,
I used the stop-n-go kit last summer in Mena Ar. and rode back to East Texas with no issues. When I got home I took the tire to a local tire shop and had a patch put on the inside. I know a lot of riders just go ahead and use the plugged tire but as I was growing up the plugs were not considered a permanent fix. I just never got comfortable with a permanent plug fix.

I've seen the sticky rope plugs work wonders, but the plugs are a different beast all together. The dynaplug looks interesting, but is a smaller diameter than most rope type plugs, so may have less applicability. The stop-n-go system is a much larger plug, but of different design. Any more thoughts on the different systems?

Screws and nails in new tires are not that rare. They seem to come in waves. Never had a flat tire for over ten years then suddenly a brand new Metzeler Z6 picked up a screw with less than 500 miles on it. Plugged it with a sticky rope. Tire wore out without a single problem.
Next one was my brand new Michelin Road Pilot 2 from the MOA rally last year. It made it home to Vancouver BC and into the shed but when I went to take her out the next day there was a shard of steel in that new tire and no air. Plugged it with a sticky rope and the tire is still going strong. Sold the bike in the fall.
And finally my new bike with brand new tires picked up a nail also. Plugged it with a sticky rope last fall, still holding air no problem. That's 3 in one year after ten years with none!
Anyway, steel belted tires can be repaired and worn out. All the tire places and motorcycle shops that say they won't fix them anymore are doing so for liability reasons, not practical reasons.

The best sticky rope plugs I have ever seen are made by Nealy.These things are head and shoulders above the standard auto store plugs.
You can get them here:
http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm

The key differences with Nealy plugs and their tool is that you twist up a knob and pull it back onto the inside of the tire forming a mushroom seal inside which is effectively a patch. Other plug tools you just insert and pull out releasing the plug. Also, these Nealy plugs are more sticky and vulcanize better than any I've seen.

Here's a YouTube video on how to use them. This guy is fixing a truck tire and using a drill to enlarge the hole so the plug fits. I just use a regular T-handle tire plug reaming file which works just as well, gets rid of any sharp wire cords in the hole and is small enough to carry on the bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dOigcwMVVk

I bought the standard repair kit that comes with the insertion tool and 10 plugs.These plugs really work. And no, I don't know Mr Nealy or his family but how they got started by fixing farmer's tires across the country is a great story!

MJM, Do you really use a drill to ream out the hole? Who carries a cordless drill on the road?

I've seen the sticky rope plugs work wonders.............

No doubt.

A few years ago a rider made it back from north of Coldfoot with a hole in his tire that required 7 sticky ropes to repair. :bow It was not pretty but he rode it into town. Don't think you could do that with the other sort of plugs.

I've seen the sticky rope plugs work wonders, but the plugs are a different beast all together. The dynaplug looks interesting, but is a smaller diameter than most rope type plugs, so may have less applicability. The stop-n-go system is a much larger plug, but of different design. Any more thoughts on the different systems?

I get the sticky rope plugs at O'Reillys and have never had a problem. I seem to get two punctures in my rear tire every time and I plug it and never have a problem. I've used this type of plug for many years on several different bikes and vehicles and the only problem (leaking) was when the hole was on the edge of a sidewall on a SUV.

MJM, Do you really use a drill to ream out the hole? Who carries a cordless drill on the road?

Not me!
I guess you missed the part where I said :
"This guy is fixing a truck tire and using a drill to enlarge the hole so the plug fits. I just use a regular T-handle tire plug reaming file which works just as well, gets rid of any sharp wire cords in the hole and is small enough to carry on the bike."

I do know a guy who carries a cordless screwdriver though. He loaned it to me at the 49er last year to take all my tupperware screws out. Ball end hex key too. Man does that save some time! :D
I was very surprised to see that in his extensive took kit but hey, whatever turns your crank.

Hey thanks a million for all the positive feedback everyone. To me it sounds like the best way might be to patch it from the inside since we here in the frozen nort counrty won't be riding for a while I have some time. Then get a good kit together for the riding season should this ever happen again.

THANKS ALL!!!

I did the same thing with a new Tourance... I carry a "Husky" Brand tire repair kit from Home Depot. It is the sticky rope kind that you need to use tools to bore a larger hole and thread through..

I plugged the hole to limp home in the Fall and was going to buy a new tire.. but I kept checking the tire pressure and had no loss. I plugged one on my car like this over a year ago and it is holding just fine.

This method worked for me.

greg

I carry one of these, and have one in each of my cars and kids cars:
http://www.dynaplug.com/
Motorcycle Consumer News liked it too.

This method looks to easy to be true.
Has anyone used one of these on a bike tire? The brass tip doesn't seem like the right material for the job and the tail looks kinda slim to fill and vulcanize the hole?

Also, I would imagine itÔÇÖs a bit denser than the string. Wouldn't it put the tire out of balance?

looks tempting, I almost bought one since you posted the link, but decided not since the method I have been using is working.

greg

This method looks to easy to be true.
Has anyone used one of these on a bike tire? The brass tip doesn't seem like the right material for the job and the tail looks kinda slim to fill and vulcanize the hole?

Also, I would imagine itÔÇÖs a bit denser than the string. Wouldn't it put the tire out of balance?

The Dynaplug certainly does look tempting... one tool with the plugs inside.

I was going to order an AirMan but it looks as though the 12v adapter won't fit the BMW accessory port?...

I've used a Dynaplug kit on a 180 rear tire. Put the bike on the center stand, turned the wheel until I found the nail. Got the Dynaplug ready, pulled the nail, inserted the plug into the tire, trimmed off the excess, done about as fast as it took to type this.
I also travel with a Slime air pump with a BMW plug on it, topped the tire off and never gave it a second thought until I changed the tire and one of the guys standing around noticed the metal tip still on the inside of the tire.
The Dynaplug uses sticky thread too, it is attached to the metal tip to help reduce pressure needed to insert the plug.

Back