• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New guy from the PNW, San Juan County.

Pasta_Mouse

Hello all!

I've always seen this place come up on searches when I'm looking for specs or have tech questions. So I figured why not? I'm in the trial membership right now but I'll just have to get off my butt and pay in full shortly.
Always had Japanese bikes, an RC51 was my last ride. A lifelong friend has always had R series BMWs so I thought I should make the move. I knew it would be different but I wouldn't be disappointed so I purchased an 05 R1150R. Yup, that's different alright! Different but in a way that the discovery is fun! Except for that turn signal switch. Not the avalanche of power that I'm used to but it's strong. Very tractable. Though first gear seems a bit taller than I'd like. When I bought it I rode across the state back home on 12 year old tires so those had to go. I swapped them out for RP 5 GTs. With that being said, I love the ride. The suspension digests the craziest stuff with ease where the RC would be freaking out. The Telelever feels heavy at first but I just had to get used to it. The brakes are great but a bit bitey at low speeds. Though the original owner had metallic race pads in it so that may have something to do with it. I switched the rear pads to organics and that helped. The fronts are coming up next. But right now I'm waiting for Beemer Boneyard to ship me a starter since mine started to hang on startup.
I usually own European cars (3 VWs right now) and used to be a wrench at a Euro shop so I'm kind of shocked I've never had a BMW motorcycle before. I've had their cars. In my screwing around with this bike I have to say I'm impressed with how thoughtfully built this bike is. Valve adjustments, alt belt, battery, all fluids changed, plugs, pads, left timing chain tensioner amongst other things have all been easy. It's a really neat bike and I'm going to be keeping her so quite some time.
Still looking for a replacement headlamp since the reflector is peeling/corroded on the inside and a good trunk for that little rack on the back. I'll have to poke around here. Anyways, I'll stop rambling! I'll help when I can and maybe chime in with a witty remark.

Welcome from West Seattle. I used to own a 2003 R1150R, and had sellers remorse for quite some time after I let her go... probably because of all the farkles I added. Just now, I was nostalgically going through some old photos and paperwork about my old bike and found the aforementioned list of farkles (below), just in case you want to pour more money into your bike. I'm on a 2016 RT right now, but really like the look of the new 2023 roadster :)

Rich’s custom leather seat; BMW System Cases; Coocase S48 top box (by Twisted Throttle) with liner, integrated brake lights and remote opener; Moto-Techniques Barbacks; BMW Valve Cover Guards; Wunderllch Engine Protection Guards; Wunderlich Footpeg Lowering Kit with brake and clutch enlargers; Wunderlich Side Stand Enlarger; Wunderlich Cam-chain covers; Wunderlich Tamper-resistant oil filler plug; Wunderlich Blue-colored rear-shock adjuster; Wunderlich Blue-colored Gas Cap Bolt Set; Fenda Extenda; New battery; Beemer Boneyard brass fuel quick-disconnects; Tiiming Chain R1200 Upgrade Kit, left cylinder; JL Paralever Bushing Kit upgrade; Replacement OEM shocks (they have 11,000 miles on them); Speedbleeders on front and rear brakes; New alternator belt; New final drive pinion seal; PIAA H4 60/55W = 110/100W Super Plasma Headlight Bulb; Crampbuster cruise assist; Nylon Cover.

Yeah ebell I'm trying to not get too crazy right now, but we'll see. The tail trunk is one of my bigger quests right now. Asides from better adjustable levers since I'm on the smaller side and I'd like to have the brake just a touch closer. I've always been a fan of PIAA products. The Platinum H4 has always been my go-to, I have them on two of my cars. Though I'm bummed they stopped making the 80/80. NOS can be found but they're rare and expensive. On a whim I tried a Osram Night breaker bulb on this bike. Overall performance is "good" but not as white as the Platinum bulb. I'll probably switch it out for a PIAA at some point down the road but right now its better than the NAPA bulb it came with.

Back